PDA

View Full Version : smoke interaction

circle frame
04-27-2003, 07:21 PM
Hallo everyone

Just started out with Maya and it is kinda hard, but fun:rolleyes:.

I've just created a great deal of smoke with an emitter and want somekind of object like some text or a cube to go through it from the back and create some kind of twirl or turbulence you get what I mean right. But how do I get the emitter smoke to interact with the object. Can I make them active/passive bodies or what?

thanks

Jozvex
04-28-2003, 12:12 AM
Select the text/object, then shift-select the particles (the actual particles not the emitter) and go to:

Particles > Make Collide

izzylong
04-28-2003, 12:45 AM
You could also parent "AIR" and "TURBULENCE" fields to the text object(s) so as they go "through" the smoke, they push away the smoke, and "swirl/move" it around a bit.

In each field, make sure "volume" is turned ON.

That way, you can scale the "volume" area of influence.

Check the docs for details on working with fields and volume influence:)

Good luck!

Jozvex
04-28-2003, 01:57 AM
Or to go even one step further still, you can create a field (such as an air field) then use the text/object as the source of the field so that each vertice of the text/object will create 'air'.

izzylong
04-28-2003, 05:07 AM
DAM! hehe... forgot about that one!

Good one mate!

That command comes in SO handy!

That should work great for this!

circle frame
04-28-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Jozvex
Or to go even one step further still, you can create a field (such as an air field) then use the text/object as the source of the field so that each vertice of the text/object will create 'air'.

Sounds great!!!!
How do I accomplish this?

Jozvex
04-29-2003, 12:15 AM
Ok!

1. With your particles selected (not the emitter, the actual particles), create an Air field (Fields > Air). If you don't want to set all the field's attributes manually, the optionbox has a 'Wake' preset that may give the right result straight away.

2. Select your object, then shift-select the Air field and go to: Fields > Use Selected as Source of Field.

That will make the centre of your object be the source.

3. Select the Air field and in the Channel Box change the 'Apply Per Vertex' option from 'off' to 'on'.

That will apply the Air field's effects to each vertice of the object. The more verticies that your object has though, the more time your simulation will take to calculate. But it should be pretty fast.

And that's it! It most likely won't be fantastic straight off, but play around with values and maybe try the same thing with different fields instead etc

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.