PDA

View Full Version : how much does smoothing groups really help?

Piotrek255
01-22-2008, 02:03 PM
I normally just use mesh smooth with 0 iterations on a whole model and apply textures, does making smoothing groups make your textured model(diff, bump, normal map etc.) look better after final renders?

soulburn3d
01-22-2008, 06:04 PM
That's an odd use of meshsmooth :)

Try instead adding a smooth modifier, and set the angle to a very high number, you should get the same result, and probably with less memory overhead.

As for using smoothing groups, you are always using smoothing groups when you apply a smooth modifier, or even when you're using your meshsmooth trick. But I assume you mean specifically setting up smoothing groups to individual faces, which I rarely have to do anymore, but they are helpful if the more automatic methods of smoothing just aren't doing what you want.

- Neil

Sastrei
01-24-2008, 11:50 PM
Aren't smoothing groups used for low poly assets while a highly subsurfed model does it's own smoothing?

-Stefan-

soulburn3d
01-25-2008, 12:48 AM
All smoothing is is a trick to make the join between one polygon and another polygon blend together. So instead of looking faceted, it looks smooth. In order to subdivide the model enough that you don't need smoothing, you have to subdivide the mesh until all the faces of the mesh are smaller than a single pixel on your computer screen. Which is certainly doable, depending on your resolution and how big the thing is in your shot (and what renderer you're using), but it's not something you want to do all the time, so smoothing is useful for low res and high res models alike.

- Neil

CGTalk Moderation
01-25-2008, 12:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.