PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried the Vista release candidate of SP1?

j83
01-22-2008, 03:37 AM
So has anyone been the guinea pig yet? :)

If it doesn't help that much, I may go thorugh the headache and install XP on this laptop (headache due to OEM laptop + driver support for an older OS).

UrbanFuturistic
01-22-2008, 01:17 PM
Speaking of which, though, nLite (http://www.nliteos.com/) is your friend. Seriously, integrating SATA drivers has never been easier, all you need is an XP CD, the downloaded drivers and a CD-R.

Szos
01-22-2008, 03:28 PM
Is SP1 officially out yet - I thought it was still in Testing.

SP1 better be a big improvement over VISTA, or I too might consider 'downgrading' to the superior XP.

Signal2Noise
01-22-2008, 04:23 PM
SP1 is only available to the signed-up beta testers. I looked for the update last night for my Vista system but it's not showing up yet in auto-update. Apparently another several weeks yet before 'mass' release.

tuna
01-23-2008, 12:26 AM
SP1 is only available to the signed-up beta testers. I looked for the update last night for my Vista system but it's not showing up yet in auto-update. Apparently another several weeks yet before 'mass' release.

SP1 is in release candidate stage, not beta. It's publicly available here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9de6260e-4275-482d-9524-de850c4dd91c&DisplayLang=en

Microsoft don't add any pre-release software to the Windows Update (unless you run a script to allow that), which is why it wasn't there for you.

Szos
01-23-2008, 12:41 AM
I am more than willing to wait a couple of weeks, but I am quite curious to hear anyone's experience with SP1.

tuna
01-23-2008, 01:34 AM
I am more than willing to wait a couple of weeks, but I am quite curious to hear anyone's experience with SP1.

I think the major points people are finding are:
Hotpatching (no more reboots after windows updates).
Faster File Copying/Network Transfer speeds, getting back to the XP speeds everyone's used to, or better.
Various awake from sleep fixes mostly for laptops etc.

Saurus
01-23-2008, 02:50 AM
SP1 is in release candidate stage, not beta. It's publicly available here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9de6260e-4275-482d-9524-de850c4dd91c&DisplayLang=en

Microsoft don't add any pre-release software to the Windows Update (unless you run a script to allow that), which is why it wasn't there for you.

Nice! Tempting, but I should wait since I really don't have any problem with my Vista.

salmonmoose
01-23-2008, 02:58 AM
I'm using it on my development laptop (I tend to run beta software where I can - this machine also uses Firefox3 beta2).

File transfers are better, although, still not perfect, and I still prefer to use Dopus to manage files.

I've found my hard-drive really thrashing a lot when I boot, I don't know if it's related to the update or not. I found killing superfetch and readyboost services fixed it, but it's also made the non SP1 machines perform better.

Signal2Noise
01-23-2008, 02:59 AM

Okay, thanks Thomas. Obviously I hadn't realized it was publicly available. I'm downloading it now onto my Vista 64-bit machine and will comment on it's performance after a run thru.

salmonmoose
01-23-2008, 05:34 AM
Just got an official invite to download it. Even though I've been using it since late last year :)

Szos
01-23-2008, 02:29 PM
I...I found superfetch and readyboost services fixed it, but it's also made the non SP1 machines perform better.

Wasn't ReadyBoost found to be essentially useless? The idea is pretty good, but the reality is that there is no real benefit to the technology.

I haven't turned it off on my home Vista machine, but I am tempted to.

ZippZopp
01-23-2008, 04:30 PM
i just installed vista last week for the first time. i got all the updates and it has been running great for me. no issues, programs load up quickly. i'm pretty happy with it so far.

Saurus
01-23-2008, 06:59 PM
Wasn't ReadyBoost found to be essentially useless? The idea is pretty good, but the reality is that there is no real benefit to the technology.

Its useless if you got enough memory to do all your work...that should be the case with most CG work station. But if you're using a laptop with limited memory, its works perfectly because once you go over your memory, rather than Vista accessing HD, its accessing faster USB ram.

salmonmoose
01-24-2008, 12:58 AM

That's why I turned it off ;)

It'd be nice on my desktop, if I had one of those flashy new hard drives with flash-ram built in. However using USB has CPU overhead that's just not worth it.

Superfetch is even worse... especially if you're on a laptop that goes in and out of sleep.

Szos
01-24-2008, 03:52 AM
...But if you're using a laptop with limited memory, its works perfectly because once you go over your memory, rather than Vista accessing HD, its accessing faster USB ram.

No, see I get what you are saying - in theory it is a cool idea, but read SALMONMOOSE's post as to why in reality it seems to offer no real advantage. Also, with the price of RAM these days, there is little excuse not to have a couple of GBs of RAM - even on a laptop.

If you have other info on the subject, please post a link.

j83
01-24-2008, 04:57 AM
It does work, and works quite well in some situations. :)
http://www.gamespot.com/features/6167115/index.html

lots
01-24-2008, 05:48 AM
In most situations more system RAM is always better than using some pen drive or something. The down side is of course if your using a 32bit OS, or run out of RAM slots. But in general, if you can afford more RAM, its the better of the two choices.

Saurus
01-24-2008, 08:01 AM
No, see I get what you are saying - in theory it is a cool idea, but read SALMONMOOSE's post as to why in reality it seems to offer no real advantage. Also, with the price of RAM these days, there is little excuse not to have a couple of GBs of RAM - even on a laptop.

If you have other info on the subject, please post a link.

Well my tablet is getting old and since I'm able to still work (using Vista) with 1.5 gig (it was originally 512), I'm cool not having to take the whole internal apart just to stick in another 512 (memory slot is sandwiched between screen and motherboard). But if my work requires more memory than what I have, ready boost gives me peace of mind, I can keep working without crazy slowdowns.

And I'm sure there are many systems, not necessarily laptops, with memory limits that ready boost can help.

Here another link (http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/31/windows-vista-superfetch-and-readyboostanalyzed/page5.html)

CGTalk Moderation
01-24-2008, 08:01 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.