PDA

View Full Version : Caricature

Flydesign
01-22-2008, 01:00 AM
Hello all,
Working on a caricature "Harry Connick Jr., thought I post it to get some feedback. All are welcome to comment, thank in advance.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/mattdesign/harry_connick-1.jpg

CybrGfx
01-22-2008, 01:14 AM
Damn nice, but the smile is off.

Harry has a slightly "lopsided" smile, with the left side of his mouth always a bit more open than his right...
Like this (http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/2760979.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1934A2752006EF5F0EDAC2396BC59EA89605A5397277B4DC33E), this (http://musicbox.sonybmg.com/files/imagecache/ginormous_square/files/artist_images/harryConick.jpg), or this (http://www.etonline.com/media/photo/2007/09/30463/400_hconnickjr_eagostini_74096979.jpg).
Notice how you can see the bottoms of his top teeth on that side?

Besides that, no crits here. You captured his eyebrows, nose (which SO many caricatures mess up the shape), and his chin really well. The eyes could be a bit more blue, though. His peepers are almost "fake" looking, they're so blue in every pic I've ever seen...

NICE rendering. Painter or Photoshop?

~Cyber

Flydesign
01-22-2008, 03:48 AM
Thanks Cyber, great advice. Looking at the images that you provided, I understand that I need to revisit the mouth. I started working the image in SketchBook Pro for the line art and then brought the line art into CS2 for painting. I'm having a lot of fun doing caricatures and want to start rendering funnier scenes. Great advice, keep it coming and thank you again.

Flydesign

CybrGfx
01-22-2008, 04:03 AM
My pleasure.

Good caricature is a special technical skill that many attempt, but few can master. I've tried, but cannot distort and distend without making them goofy looking, which is the problem with a good 98% of the caricatures I see.

I like your work on this piece becuase you've captured the personality with exaggeration, but not extreme distortion. You've captured his "character," his personna. AND rendered it cleanly, without giant blobs of color.

You show a STRONG natural talent with this. I wouldn't even worry about "funnier" scenes. Your skills at this type of portraiture need no humerous settings, because while amusing, they are not comical. They are skilled works, though.

Part of me is like a little kid at a good magic show. "Do another one, I wanna see more!"
Seriously. This is like night and day compared to the other artworks you've uploaded. Forget the imaginary fantasy crap. Do caricatures like this of famous people. They are visually attractive, while being an exaggeration. How I envy your ability to do that!

~Cyber

Flydesign
01-22-2008, 06:40 AM
Wow! Fantastic insight in what Iíve been going through for the past few months. I did a caricature of Chris Rock about a month an a half ago and really enjoyed painting the piece from start to finish. I believe I did not capture the gesture right off the bat, but it got me thinking to do another and improve my skill one piece at a time. Hopefully along the way find an audience. I also parallel your thoughts on not making over exaggerating behaviors of the character to where itís just making fun of them with distortions, well maybe politicians. For me I just want to get to that point where if itís just a portrait, I want the character to tell a story, action, meaning, etcÖ I just donít want someone to look once, but can just sit back and enjoy the piece again and again. Again, thanks, made my night, here is the Chris Rock piece.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/mattdesign/Chris_Rockcopy.jpg

CybrGfx
01-22-2008, 03:31 PM
Yup. I think you are on the right track with this...

But, like the Connick piece, you need to sharpen your observations of the mouth. Chris Rock is KNOWN for his pearly whites, and he don't have no giant gap like you've given him.

http://www.eastbayimprov.com/more/davesactors/chris.rock.jpg
http://www.think2wice.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/chris-rock.jpg
http://nymag.com/images/2/daily/entertainment/07/06/26_chrisrock_lgl.jpg

Also, his head is a bit squarer than you rendered it, but hey. For your first one, it's nothing to snipe at. You still managed to capture "Chris Rock." I could almost hear his laugh as I looked at that, bad teeth aside...Darn you!

I can't remember the name of the restaurant, but I want to say Sardi's in New York where there are hundreds of celebrity caricatures on the walls. Your stuff is better than many of those.

I'd suggest staying away from politics, for the simple reason that it will polarize your viewers. Those who like the politician will be offended at any "less than complimentary" exaggerations, and those who don't like the pol will think you were too "kind." Like Religion, Politics is something you should avoid if you are going for mass appeal...

Keep this up. You now know that you need to be extra observant on the mouths. Funny how mouths are as important a character defining feature as noses, but it is not the mouth, as much as how much teeth and gums are displayed when they smile, or the angle and shape of the lips when they don't.

Good work. Thanks for sharing it!

~Cyber

Flydesign
01-22-2008, 05:00 PM
Ha, ha ,ha, and ďhe don't have no giant gap like you've given him.Ē Great observation, each thread you put up has made me more observant of a character. I think Iím going to have to dedicate a piece to you in the future.

Interesting point you made on politics and religion. Iíve kept out of those arenas as much as I can. Iíve always had the thought thou, as an artist we are unique, because we are able to capture an emotion, action or place in time. Sad thou, a lot of other people donít see it that way and they seem to attack you on a personal note.

Flydesign

cutepoison
01-22-2008, 08:06 PM
I first thought that was Martin Lawrence..but when I read its Chris Rock, I thought "yeah,it could be chris rock too" lol
they are both very good,I think Cyber told you everything I would`ve say about them..

Flydesign
01-22-2008, 09:45 PM
I first thought that was Martin Lawrence..but when I read its Chris Rock, I thought "yeah,it could be chris rock too" lol
they are both very good,I think Cyber told you everything I would`ve say about them..

No worries cutepoison (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=296662), usually I get "Oh dude it's Eddie Murphy." lol. I just need to focus on Cyber's advice and I think my up coming artwork will come together nicely.

AlexNovo
01-23-2008, 05:39 PM
Wow, cool stuff!
Really like what you are doing here!
THe one advice i wan to give you, its use more hues during coloring face, i think in this way your works would have more expression. May be i'm wrong, but any way here is example of what my friend doing.
Here (http://www.lightwave3d.ru/uploads/post-2279-1180787483.jpg) and here (http://www.lightwave3d.ru/uploads/post-2279-1180935377.jpg) and here (http://www.lightwave3d.ru/uploads/post-2279-1180247359.jpg)

Flydesign
01-23-2008, 06:55 PM
I think over a period of time, you'll see more hues in the art. I think it's a nice tool to have to express a character. Good point Alex keep them coming.

Flydesign

AlexNovo
01-23-2008, 07:20 PM
oops, double post, sorry. please delete this one, i dont know how. below one is correct one.

AlexNovo
01-23-2008, 07:20 PM
I think over a period of time, you'll see more hues in the art. I think it's a nice tool to have to express a character. Good point Alex keep them coming.

Flydesign

Are you gonna to post here updates with this caricatures??? cant wait new updates if they will!:)
Alwais admire with people who doing caricatures, i was try some things, but they wasnt even a little good like yours, so for now i just decide to learn basic things, shading, anatomy and etc and later keep assault caricature field too.

Flydesign
01-23-2008, 08:44 PM
I'm going to try to keep this thread going with sketches, caricatures, etc... Thanks for the support for this thread. Alex, everyone has a starting point, it comes down to how much effort do you want to invest into it. I try to do something every day and it actually became a habit. It does not take that much for me to sit down and doodle out some ideas. You get better as you go. learn your techniques. I have my share of ups and downs with my work, you get thick skin after awhile. I've also just started a blogspot site as well (www.flydesignart.blogspot.com).

Cheers,
Flydesign

AlexNovo
01-23-2008, 09:15 PM
I'm going to try to keep this thread going with sketches, caricatures, etc... Thanks for the support for this thread. Alex, everyone has a starting point, it comes down to how much effort do you want to invest into it. I try to do something every day and it actually became a habit. It does not take that much for me to sit down and doodle out some ideas. You get better as you go. learn your techniques.

Sure! keep this thread alive and post here you great caricatures and sketcehs, i like to see how others drawing and teach from them! And sure you are right practice and practice every day, i drawing each day too, even if i busy i try to make some doodles any way to keep hand in their level.
Nice works in you blog btw, why in small size?

Flydesign
01-23-2008, 09:20 PM
Good glad to hear that, pictures in my blog are what I had on hand at the time, but noted, I'll make them bigger.

Flydesign
01-31-2008, 07:54 AM
Hi guys had a slow day at work and was able to work on an idea of doing Daniel Craig as a caricature. Rendered in Photoshop CS2, comments are welcome.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/mattdesign/Daniel_Craig.jpg

http://bp2.blogger.com/_F1qeJwVcvTU/R6GIew0gHSI/AAAAAAAAAAs/TOXsGlkv2i4/s1600/Daniel_Craig.jpg

CybrGfx
01-31-2008, 10:03 AM
Good face, but the midget body with the too big shoulders bothers me.

Craig is just shy of 6' tall, so the small looking body with the big head looks a bit like those ubiquitous stock photos of the giant head on the tiny body, and it detracts from the talent of your rendering.

"All good things in moderation," as they say. Your facial caracature skills are excellent. No need to water them down by sticking them on top of a contrived looking body exaggeration. I suggest sticking to head and shoulder portraits. Go with your strengths, don't undermine them.

But, I also hate clowns and am unimpressed by those caricature artists you find in malls, state fairs, and on Venice Beach in California, all of whom are successful in their own right, so don't take my opinion as gospel... ;)

~Cyber

Flydesign
01-31-2008, 05:25 PM
Good advice as always, I think what youíll see when I sketch depending on what Iím working on or a heavy load of projects, I try to lighten it up through my art. Just recently got done with a big project at work which zapped my weekend (irritated no personal work done for myself), I try to have a little playtime. Daniel Craig has been bouncing around my head for a little while (Bond Fan) and I had a slow day so I rendered him and then, hey lets make him into a bobble head. Sketching for me is like therapy, stress relief and of course to figure things out.

For the clowns Cyber, I guess I will not find you watching ďItĒ from Stephen King any time soon, lol, my son even hates clowns too. Caricature artist at theme parks and such, I refer to it as being in the trenches, I have even thought about doing part-time work as a caricature artist, just to see what I would learn from the experience. Iíve seen some of the artist being down right cruel and they think itís funny. Talk about not reading your clients. On the other hand Iíve seen some really cool caricature artist such as Kruger, Joe Bluhm, and Jason Seiler. So yes, all things in moderation.

Your advice is always structured and to the point, very valuable to me so keep it coming.

Flydesign

CybrGfx
01-31-2008, 09:54 PM
I find too many "in the trenches" caricaturists focus too hard on the more grotesque type of "cruel" caricature, with the distortions going past the point of good or funny. Bluhm borderlines on that, as does Kruger.

Joe Bluhm is a talented renderer, but IMO a lousy digital artist. His edges are almost always too blurry for his caricatures, while his cut and paste elements are too hard, looking, well...like cut and paste. But, I'm picky about my art, digital or traditional... ;) He calls it "extreme," and his blog is titled "Rejects," so at least he is upfront and honest in his deliberate "uglification" of people. They are not cruel, so much as somewhat snarky...

Kruger personally irritates me, as his main method of caricature is to shrink the features into the center of the face, and then over-enlarge the foreheads, cheeks, or chin. His coloring is exquisite, but his technique smacks of the old KPT Goo, or Photoshop Liquify Bloat and Shrink filters too much. Too much like Hirschfeld, who also never impressed me a whole lot. His strength was in his ability to capture his caricatures with so few strokes. Kruger's forte is making semi-unattractive celebrities even more so, which he manages quite well, but give him an attractive subject, like Marilyn Monroe, and he's out of his league, rendering them to look unattractive as well.

Jason is a true Master of Caricature, managing to capture the essence of the personality, and exaggerate the features without losing the attractiveness inherent in even those celebrities that are not the best looking. His caricatures are visually attractive, rather than uncomfortably semi-repulsive. It's a hard and fine line, but it shows a true balance between style, accuracy, and humor that, to my eye, 95% of people attemping caricature cannot even closely approximate, so they resort to grotesquery. I've yet to see one of Mr. Seiler's caricatures that made me wince with its exaggeration. They manage to be complimentary, while fun-poking, and I guess that is what differentiates him from the rest of the pack...

That is also why I like your works so much. You, too, manage to capture the personna, and the visible appearance in a complimentary manner, without over-emphasizing your exaggerations to the point where they are "extreme." Just goes back to my "all good things in moderation" attitude, I guess...

The fact that you make it look so easy simply adds to my admiration/envy of you.
Don't stop. I enjoy the suffering.

~Cyber

Flydesign
02-04-2008, 03:50 AM
Here is a piece that I started to work on I call "Rock Star." This does not fall under caricature I do believe, just an image that has been in my head that needs to get out, I took some pictures for reference, but my friend was more eager to play the bass then model for pictures. This is a WIP and I'll update the piece as I work towards a final render. Of course comments are welcome.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/mattdesign/rockstar.jpg

AlexNovo
02-04-2008, 04:03 AM
Flydesign
Nice to see new stuff here Fly, i like it overall for the start, just couple comments i can suggest.
1.The guitar has some wieght and i guess you should show it by tread down flash of the leg under guitar, and especially as i see, guy pull on guitar with his left(for us) hand right? Do you?
2.His left(for viewer) hand seems to be a little bit heigher on the guiter, right now it looks like it dip into guitar a little.
3. His right leg(for viewer), and to be more correct, his foot looks not left and looks right because of toe direction.

Flydesign
02-04-2008, 05:45 AM
Hi Alex,

I guess I should clarify what he is playing, a bass. I play a little bass, but I took pictures of a friend that plays bass. Mainly to get the hands and feet positioned correctly. For the shoes Iím envisioning him wearing chucks (Converse). Usually at this stage Iím looking for the gesture of the subject, there is no final position at this point. As I work I push and pull shapes even in the painting stage. Right now Iím concerned about the stool and making sure thatís correctly positioned, does not feel right to me. I hope this has answered your questions or comments.

Flydesign

AlexNovo
02-04-2008, 06:14 AM
Hi Alex,

I guess I should clarify what he is playing, a bass.....

Flydesign

Oh yea, got it. Sorry then:) gesture are good for my vision. Sorry again:)

Flydesign
02-04-2008, 06:32 AM
No need to say sorry, it's all good.

Flydesign
02-07-2008, 07:01 PM
Sorry for the slow delay of an update for this piece, recently got side track with some projects and will have an update shortly.

Cheers,
Flydesign

CybrGfx
02-07-2008, 10:43 PM
Two words:

Consistent lightsource.

~Cyber

Flydesign
02-08-2008, 04:06 PM
Great point Cyber, I'll tighten up the light source when I start.

Flydesign
02-11-2008, 02:28 AM
Here is an update, comments are welcome.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/mattdesign/rockstar04.jpg

AlexNovo
02-11-2008, 05:04 AM
Here is an update, comments are welcome.

Hi, good to see update Fly! Its gonna to be better and better. Btw, don't you think that his right shoulder(upper arm i mean) looks longer then normal should? Do you?

Flydesign
02-11-2008, 05:02 PM
Hey Alex,
I think what your talking about is an area that is not fully developed. How the shirt drapes on the torso/arms can effect and skew the torso/arms. I donít believe the lighting is correct in that area of the painting, which will throw things off. The light is coming from the upper left hand side of the painting and the torso has a slight twist.
This is a good painting, even when Iím not working on it, Iím thinking about it and one of the things I want to portray is a good value of light and shadow. I think I did not start off to good and Cyber pointed that out with ďconsistent lighting.Ē

Flydesign
02-18-2008, 06:02 PM
To start the day off right, a nice morning sketch. Picked John F. Kennedy, thought he would be good subject.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/mattdesign/kennedy_scopy.jpg

Flydesign
02-29-2008, 05:16 AM
Here is a picture of Clint Eastwood. One night browsing the internet for celebrity photos, I crossed this image of Clint and I had to do a caricature of him. I got to thinking that there are very few actors in the entertainment industry that express so much with a look, so no distortions as you would see a caricature. Comments are welcome and enjoy!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/mattdesign/clint04.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
02-29-2008, 05:16 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.