PDA

View Full Version : abandoned place, timo narhi (3D)

timdog
01-21-2008, 11:33 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/106661/106661_1200918749_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/106661/106661_1200918749_large.jpg)

Title: abandoned place
Name: timo narhi
Software: 3ds max, mental ray, Photoshop

Im grown up at the country side in sweden and alot of factories and houses has been abandoned there during the last 30 years.
As a child a was always playing in these places and thats why Im also faschinated of places like these as a grown up. I discovered www.abandonedplaces.com
and I just couldnt stop gazing at these pictures! Heres the result of trying to create something similar. Its built up with simple geometries, the windows
is textured with dirtmaps. The scene consists of only one directional light and a textured plane as a background. I added some leafs flying by in photoshop.
Hope you like it!

commander_cool
01-21-2008, 12:11 PM
The rendering is very good, but you need to do something about that background. The perspective is totally off.

But again, the rendering is very good.

BigRoyNL
01-21-2008, 04:42 PM
Is there a leaf on the broken window in the centre. So is there actually a leaf on 'no window'? Besides the perspective and that I like the image. But it doesn't really feel abandoned.

The window is broken and dirty, but the edges seem way to clean. Try them a little brownish. Just as the arch around the window, try something like the radiator. More dirt.

Besides that, there's a boot on the floor. The shadow through the window is really hard, but on the 'unlighted' side of the boot there seems to be way to much lighting on it. I think it's a little to illuminated.

Try breaking up or get some dust on the handle (what is it called) of the stairs. Try distorting it really minor, which will give it some more realism I think. A minor spider web would also add to the abandoned feel.

Overall nice. Simple empty and effective. But for the abandoned feel just exaggerate it a little more I think.

timdog
01-21-2008, 11:11 PM
Yeah! I can agree to that the perspective of the background is a bit off. Perhaps the ground is full of steep hills.. No its off. Thank you for the critique.

CGTalk Moderation
01-21-2008, 11:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.