PDA

View Full Version : texture/light/render-Character and environment-DigitalSkorpyon

DigitalSkorpyon
04-16-2002, 12:26 AM
Well, I'm going to assume that a colorized version of this pic once completed will suffice. I have the progress of this drawing in the WIP area but will most likely continue posting progess in this forum instead. All critiques are welcome and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-Grant

:shrug:

Korgath
04-16-2002, 01:26 PM
This thing is SO cool :buttrock:

One small thing: What's that in his left hand?

LucentDreams
04-16-2002, 01:28 PM
think you mean left hand, the right is the pitchfok thing. I was wondering about the left hand too, a pipe???

aaronstg
04-16-2002, 03:29 PM
It's a little human being in his hand :)
Nice design man. Looks creepy.

Lorenzo
04-16-2002, 04:53 PM
Very nice, I like this drawing:bounce: :thumbsup:

puddlefish
04-16-2002, 04:56 PM
Nice drawing, reminds me of Paul Bonner's drawings for Games Workshop.
Are you going to develop more of an environment around him?

PS: I thought the guy in the left hand was very clear. :shrug:

Iguiniz.X.
04-16-2002, 05:53 PM
great drawing.
Nice how you did the skin.

Korgath
04-16-2002, 06:17 PM
Oh, a small human! :applause:

My eyes needs calibrating...

DigitalSkorpyon
04-16-2002, 08:44 PM
I appreciate the comments... Thanks. Yeah, I'm going to need to define the man a bit more and do a hell of a lot with lighting. I plan on having a lake of fire under his feet (that being the main light source) and perhaps a few unfortunate souls trying to climb out. I'm not sure what to do behind him though. The drawing is already getting ultra busy as far as detail is concerned and I'm not sure what to put behind him that won't detract from him. If any of you have any suggestions, I'm needing them. Thanks again guys.

-Grant
(He will soon be in color):buttrock:

puddlefish
04-17-2002, 01:22 AM
Maybe just a simple jagged mountain range, and fade the colours a little to the cool side. This will be quick to do and make your foregrond stand out even more.:)

DigitalSkorpyon
04-17-2002, 01:57 AM
What color scheme do you mean by the cool side? I was thinking of coloring him in a redish hue with different tones on oranges, reds, and yellows shooting up from the fire. I could go into a dark rock texture lightly blurred in the background with some areas reflecting light. Still a little unsure as to what I want accomplished in this piece. Not sure if I want to have additional items in the scene to help capture that he is tossing lost souls into the fire. Only thing I am sure of is that I don't want it to be a boring colorscheme. Fire is cool, but it also limits me to only a few colors I can use. Guess, I'll just dive on in and see where it takes me.

-Grant

:shrug:

DigitalSkorpyon
04-18-2002, 11:23 AM
Alright guys, I haven't had a lot of time lately so this is as far as I've gotten. I'm trying to work out the lighting so any suggestions would be appreciated. I think I should be able to start painting within the next week or so.

-Grant

:)

LucentDreams
04-18-2002, 11:36 AM
from the rendering you already have a sorta op upangle lighting. I think this is very effective for the character to show how menacing he is. I would go with that, and maybe a little back lighting to help creat a little ambience. The back lighting might also allow you to creat a little more shadow around the front of the feet which always helps in wighting down the character to ground him. Though he seems fairly well grounded already. Great update, how are you planning on colouring him??? (technique wise)

EDIT::

It would also be nice to see that tail and the end of the pitchfork in the shot, the tail especially is an awkward crop as there is so little being cut out it makes it feel like a mistake an creates and uncofortable feeling in the viewer ("somethings not right but I don't know what") That would help a little.

Also what do you intend for the background??

puddlefish
04-18-2002, 03:26 PM
Nice work, lighting looks great. By cool tones I meant maybe fade into more blueish hues for the background to make the foreground really jump out. This might look awful, you'll have to try it to see :shrug:

DigitalSkorpyon
04-18-2002, 11:32 PM
To Kaiskai: Thanks for noticing the lightsource. I was hoping that my shadows were accomplishing this but wasn't certain. I like the idea of an ambient backlight and will probably do that with the coloring. I plan on using photoshop to color him but really don't have an exact technique for it. I'll post progress and you can give me suggestions as I go. Oh, and the reason I keep showing shots with his tail and pitchfork cropped is due to the fact that I haven't had a large enough scanner available. I have access to one but it will be a few days yet. Thanks again.

To puddlefish: I thought that was what you had meant but wasn't 100% sure. What I'll probably end up doing is several variations of color choices on the background and see what everyone here thinks.

I'll have more to show soon.

-Grant:)

LucentDreams
04-19-2002, 10:36 AM
oH THE INFAmous scanner issues, I run into that problem a lot as I usually uselegal size photocopy paper or 12 Field Animation paper. Neither actually fit on my scanner bed though. I wish I had a bigger scanner but can't affors one. I typically do the old Two partial scans and merge carefully or sometimes photsopy down and scan in. Not greatest quality but I rearely use the original lines and rendering in my painting. Can't wait to see some updates:D

DigitalSkorpyon
04-19-2002, 11:24 AM
I finally had access to a bit larger of a scanner. The finished version will be much larger with quite a bit more background. I haven't decided exactly whether or not I like how the background is looking. I might just start from scratch with it. Color is on it's way. Thanks again to everyone for the comments.

-Grant

:wavey:

DigitalSkorpyon
04-23-2002, 04:44 AM
It's been a couple of days since the last post but more will be on the way. I've done quite a bit to it but still haven't quite gotten to the coloring stage. Hopefully soon. I'll have an update tomorrow.

-Grant

:bounce:

DigitalSkorpyon
04-25-2002, 03:39 AM
I haven't had much time at all but have added a bit more environmental sketch lines. I've decided to make the area in the lower right corner to be bubbling lava and fire with the occasional smoke swirl coming up. Any critiques would be appreciated.

-Grant

LucentDreams
04-25-2002, 09:01 AM
I love the lkittle flames on the little man, he is definitely reading a little better too. Can't say much right now I am in a rush, but I'll look at it again later tonight, great work can't wait to see it later.:applause:

DigitalSkorpyon
04-29-2002, 10:19 PM
I busted my butt this weekend to try to get this drawing finished so I can start coloring. It's not quite done but I've made progress on it. I think when I start laying in the color it will start to pop out quite a bit. Crits are welcome.

-Grant

*This isn't the best scan. A little rough on the brightness.

puddlefish
04-29-2002, 10:53 PM
excellent work!! You did a great job on the background. Well done!
:thumbsup:

LucentDreams
04-30-2002, 11:03 AM
FANTASTIC work, yeah he is starting to fall into the background but I know that once you even get some simple colour in there it will bring him back. beautiful

DigitalSkorpyon
05-08-2002, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the comments guys...

I have every intention of completing this piece even though I'm running really low on time. I've been swamped with other work but think I'll have a few days to bust ass on it.

Thanks again...

Grant

*switched my avatar back to Curly... what do you think?

Gilgamesh
05-09-2002, 04:43 AM
Curly rocks.

LucentDreams
05-09-2002, 06:14 AM
Geez one month is sooooo little time :annoyed:

Great work whether it will be coloured or not.

As for curly, I think you need to change the little comment under your name to

"Wwwwooo woo woo woo":wip:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.