PDA

View Full Version : Need C4D RenderMan opinions, methods, etc. please.

danb
01-21-2008, 03:43 AM
I've been working off and on for a company which is working very hard to expand their 3d offerings. The company has used Maya and Renderman in the past. I have mentioned the c4d renderman connection to them and they asked me to get some info on it.

Can those that have used it, and/or those that beta'd and are able to speak about it, please chime in with some opinions, answers or methods please.

I'm looking for topics on stability, any setup issues, rendertimes on specific hardwares, methods of sending character animation, arch viz, and product viz, materials/shaders, possibly mograph and anything else you may think is relevant to a studio interested in using c4d to renderman.

Thank you.

LucentDreams
01-21-2008, 07:47 PM
Sadly those who have it and use it are not allowed to really talk about it. this is something your going to have to contact maxon about directly.

Rendertimes will be reliant on which RIB compatible renderer you use of course. In terms of stability only issues I've had are when my renderers (Air and 3Delight) aren't licensed right.

Honestly your making it sound like some complex rocket science, but the advanced part of using a renderman connection is knowing the renderman side of things, writing your own shaders compiling and such.

danb
01-21-2008, 08:15 PM
Honestly your making it sound like some complex rocket science, but the advanced part of using a renderman connection is knowing the renderman side of things, writing your own shaders compiling and such.

:) Ok I guess from all the hype i hear about renderman i thought it was a super complex process.

The company has renderman already they use it with Maya, so that would be the renderer.

Just curious, why aren't c4d renderman users allowed to speak about the connection? Is it still beta or something?

I'll contact maxon. Thank you Kai.

LucentDreams
01-21-2008, 09:27 PM
Reason they aren't allowed to talk about it is because its not officially released.

Somethings you and they need to be aware of though:

First of what renderman Renderer do they have. I assume when calling it Renderman your referring to Pixar's Renderman, but even then they have different versions with different licensing and uses. You mentione Maya are they using Rendermans Server or Renderman for Maya. If they are using renderman for Maya it is my understanding that they can't use it with Cinema or Man etrc. only within maya.

Renderman server works with Cineman and integrates much like Cinema's other thirdparty renderers its a pretty seamless integration like those in Vray and Final Render.

danb
01-21-2008, 10:03 PM
Oh ok i didn't realize it wasn't released yet.

Its a good point, i don't know which version Pixar's Renderman they have. I'll have to find that out. Thanks for the tips on server vs. renderman for maya.

As always very helpful. Thank you.

CGTalk Moderation
01-21-2008, 10:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.