PDA

View Full Version : Creating My First Building

caseofchill
01-21-2008, 01:43 AM
I'm looking for some input from environmental artist out there as to the best way to create a building like this. The modeling is pretty straight forward, I would assume you model one level, then just copy it. My biggest question would be on the texture. Would you separate out everything that is brick and and use a repeating texture, and unwrap all the other parts and texture them as such? Or would everything just go on the same texture sheet? What would the best approach be? Thanks for your help.

http://www.digitalillusionary.com/cgtalk/building01.jpg

Shade01
01-21-2008, 02:02 AM
Since it's all fairly similar, I'd make it modular so you could snap the different pieces together in way that created the variety you'd want. Of course, this comes from my perspective of always trying to get multiple uses out of a single art asset.

Looks like 2-3 balcony variants are all you need, and I'd create the building as a shell you snap those balconies into, or a small section of building + balcony modeled together and copied. As a guess, I think you could get away with 2-3 textures sheets for that, with the balcony stuff on one sheet and the building brick work and trim on another sheet.

caseofchill
01-22-2008, 05:53 PM
Shade01
I like your approach. Using a couple of maps might just streamline it. Thanks for the input.

CGTalk Moderation
01-22-2008, 05:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.