PDA

View Full Version : Freeze Particles

Manta
04-27-2003, 07:33 AM
Hi,
I'm making clouds but I don't know how to freeze particles. I'm using Maya Complete. Where can I find a good cloud shader?

Thanks in advance.

lowkey
04-27-2003, 07:52 AM
freezing particles:

well, i don't know if you mean this, but after having emitted the needed amount of particles for your cloud-structures, you can set an 'initial state' and switch the emission rate to 0.

you can 'glue' particles together by using springs! :shrug:

floguyep
04-27-2003, 06:20 PM
I think he means like in starwars 2 where there's that map of the galaxy that expands and then just freezes, no?

gmask
04-27-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Manta
Hi,
I'm making clouds but I don't know how to freeze particles. I'm using Maya Complete. Where can I find a good cloud shader?

Thanks in advance.

One way to do this is to create a particle cache and then keyframe the time attribute on the particle system.

alexx
04-27-2003, 09:54 PM
there is some ways to "freeze" your particle motion.

one would be setting the conserve value of the particles to 0
the other would be selecting them all in component mode, go to component editor and there setting the velocity values to 0

cheers

alexx

Manta
05-02-2003, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the replies.
All ideas worked fine (initial state, particle cache,...)

Now, I can make my own clouds!! :bounce:

Manta
05-05-2003, 05:23 PM
Another question I have,

I also want to deform the shapes with bones but particles don't move with the mesh. What I'm doing wrong?
They still quiet in space. How can I deform and move particles with bones? I know particles are not a Bindable object.

Jozvex
05-06-2003, 12:20 AM
I don't think you'll be able to deform your clouds with bones. Particles aren't deformable mesh, or even mesh at all. The only way that would happen is if you built some crazy poly object with a vertex at the location of each particle, then you could make that object the cloud's goal and then animate the crazy mesh with bones.

Or maybe......you could create the bones and then point constrain Air fields to them!

I must investigate!

Manta
05-06-2003, 06:41 AM
I only want to trasform a single cloud into a puffy text without plugins.
I'm investigating too. :thumbsup:

wrend
05-06-2003, 06:52 AM
maybe just such a crazy mesh is a softbody! :)

... deform a normal mesh, w bones say, make that mesh a softbody, goaling to the original, deforming, mesh.
you'll get the particles chasing this mesh upon frame change.
... maybe even put your port rendering to point mode when your doing the deforming ...sculpting points. its pretty cool being able to directly model where you want particles.

... not sure how your going to use bones to build your text Manta! sounds interesting! not sure the above method is exactly what you'll be wanting to do this.. maybe you should just emit particles from the text geometry, possibly goaling back to it .. very much depends on what your trying to achieve, as always.

kag122
05-07-2003, 01:27 AM
Hey there,

Make the text object in maya the set the text as a goal in maya and the particles will be attracted to the text.
The effect you want can be simply made this way.

Manta
05-07-2003, 07:22 AM
Yes, it's true. The problem is that my animation is a little bit more complex.
I'm now working with softbodies and parenting particles to bones.
Hope to show you results soon.

Laeng
05-11-2003, 12:45 PM
A few Ideas for your problem:

1) Freeze

First go to the frame before the one you want the particles to freeze!

Key the magnitude of all influence fields, locate the conserve attribute of your particles, and key it too.

The go one frame forward, set alle magnitudes and conserve to zero. Your particles should freeze.

2) Let the text emit particles, and set those as a goal. You can increase the puffyness of your cloud by make the text particles move far away(increase speed) or stay close to your text(decrease speed)

3) Create a particlecloud-shader in the hyper shade, set map as color, and create a 3d-crater texture. use a grey color, and place the place3dtexture around your cloud. This will give your clouds a more natural structur, but youŽll have to play with the settings to get a good result.
Locate the Surface Shading properties of the cloud shader, and set the Diffuse Coeff to a value greater than 0. This forces maya to calculate the shading of the cloud, so you will get a bright and a dark side. If your cloud is to bright youŽll have to change the settings of the crater texture.

You can move and scale the place3Dtexture to create the illusion of moving turbulences.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.