PDA

View Full Version : Rigging Gadget hand issues?

Zaen
01-20-2008, 07:22 AM
Hi

I was having issues with rigging a hand in maya. Its a photoreal human hand, however I have two main issues. It may sound rudimentary but i can't seem to get the skin to deform well and look real. Also i want the tip of the finger to open up like a door to reveal a mechanical device buried in the finger.

My first attempt was to bind the skin and then try extract the fingertip, then parent the extracted fingertip to the hand. That obviously didn't work though. Please help

Regards
Zaen

Geuse
01-28-2008, 08:29 AM
well, if your hand is not deformed well after skinning, you can always use pose space deformation - blendshapes that are driven by joint rotation so they end up looking good at a certain pose.
About the fingertip. I assume you'd want it to look like it's attached to the finger and only be separated when opening up. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when extracting the fingertip from the finger you will always end up with a visible edge.

Xeash
01-28-2008, 03:45 PM
To Geuse:
Correct me please...I always think that PSD(Point space deformation) and corrective blenshapes techniques ...ARE NOT THE SAME.
May be we can achieve same results with both of them but PSD as I knew not blendshape-like. Their constructions differs a lot(!) so talking like that brings some mess i think...

Geuse
01-28-2008, 04:40 PM
How so?
Corrective blend shape is what it is. When talking about PSD it's just a tool or script to use when creating your corrective shape so u'll get instant feedback of what the result is going to look like, meaning you are able to model it in the pose it is intended to be seen.
This is the same thing as pulling verts on a duplicate and create a blendshape and set it to be driven by joint rotation. PSD is just a tool to let you do it faster and easier.

Xeash
01-28-2008, 05:19 PM
I already mentioned if we talk like this it is true...
but for example if we make corrective blendshapes for whole body(read as full-body rig) you must knew what if use blendshapes we keep in memory positions of ALL vertices in mesh..so for every "small correction" we spend a lot of memory...
PSD is just offseting choosen vertices from the joint, so it so not so tricky and memory-consuming to make "corrections" for whole body rig...

Geuse
01-28-2008, 10:13 PM
ah ok, I think I understand what you mean now!
So psd is not creating blendshape but merely offsetting vertex in space?

is this true?

Xeash
01-29-2008, 04:30 AM
Sorry dude if my english mess your brain somehow :rolleyes:
Try get one SIGGRAPH's paper about PSD and read it
or michael comet's plugin docs for example :)
There you find more info than here you can get

Geuse
01-29-2008, 10:17 AM
hehe ok. well thank you!
always just being under the impression they were was just ordinary blendshapes, but thanks to you I now know better =)

CGTalk Moderation
01-29-2008, 10:17 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.