PDA

View Full Version : Tau Fire warrior re-imagined

johnvencer
01-19-2008, 05:11 AM
Hi Everybody, Evil the cat pointed me in this direction.

This is my very first 3D model that I have felt confident enough to post. It started out as needing a simple model to test paint schemes for warhammer 40k minatures and then grew into a full blown re-imagination of the Tau. Here is what the low poly model looks like. (I believe is the term) Critiques would be greatly appreciated.

http://features-temp.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/218685/218685_1200693206_large.jpg

FYI, I am noob and a self taught 3D modeler. Eventually I would like to take this model (assuming there aren't too many construction flaws) use it to learn how to texture. IF I can make it look semi decent then I would like to create a couple more models along the same re-imagined Tau concept and make a battle scene.

Valandar
01-19-2008, 06:07 AM
Looks good so far, except that for a "low poly" there's a LOT of 'wasted polys' on the chest disk. You could remove 2/3 of the edgeloops and reduce it from 24 polys in circumference to about half that and not really lose anything - they add nothing to the silhouette. The thighs are also a bit poly-heavy.

What's the polycount? And remember, quads count as two tris...

johnvencer
01-21-2008, 09:43 PM
I have reduced the number of polygons in the chest and used hypernurbs to round out the surface.

My goal is eventually make a short animated movie. I am assuming that learning tricks from game design will make my renders more efficient and maybe bump up the render times. AM I in the wrong forum?

Please excuse the noob questions but I have seen some really simple models and some fairly complex ones. I understand it would differ from game to game. Is there a rule of thumb for number of polygons or tris? ex. RTS = 500 ( I don't know what I am talking about so I pulled a random number)

the polygon count is 2743 and the tri count is 5486.

http://johnvencer.cgsociety.org/gallery/586720

CGTalk Moderation
01-21-2008, 09:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.