PDA

View Full Version : Changing Shape nodes for controls?

b.Schulz
04-27-2003, 12:05 AM
Can I change my controllers shape...say for example. I have my rig with a locator at the foot so that when I select the locator it's got all my foots controls under that locator. Can I change it so that instead of the locator I have some other controller (lets say a box as the controller? I mean, can I now that it's all setup change my locator to a box instead, and keep all the attributes that were under the locator and have them transfered over to the box now instead of the locator??? Does that make any sense??? Basically I just don't want the locator shape as my controller and I would like to change it to a better more appealing shape like a box or curve in the shape of a foot or somethin. Is this possible now that all my attributes are already setup to the locator???? :shrug: THANKS!

mental
04-27-2003, 01:13 AM
to simplify things you can keep the locator there (hide it, if you wish) and connect it's attributes to the attributes of the new controller.

the easiest way to do this would be to create the cube or what ever shape you would want and then add an attribute (modify > add attribute) for each blendshape you would like to control. once that's set open up the connection editor and link the attributes on the cube to the blendnodes. the controller (the cube) would be on the left and the controlled (blend nodes) would be on the right in the connection editor.

to load the blendnodes either select them in the hypergraph or pull up the inputs list of the mesh by right clicking on the character > inputs > all inputs. from there you can select the nodes by right clicking and choosing 'select'.

hope that helps

-mental :surprised

[edit] grammer? i don't need no stinking grammer

b.Schulz
04-27-2003, 01:48 AM
I think that makes sense. Would the orientation transfer over as well...or would I basically have to parent or orient constrain or point or whatever to the locator so that it would stay with the rig....would those kinda orientations transfer over as well?? Thanks. I'll try it later!. :beer:

b.Schulz
04-30-2003, 07:33 AM
Does this same technique also apply to SDK's that are on the locator, basically I have a locater around my characters waist that controls his pelvis movements. BUT now instead of a locator I want a circle curve. Can I transfer the SDK's from the locator to the curve and use the curve shape instead using this same method??

michaelcomet
04-30-2003, 11:56 AM
The problem with doing it via connection is you now have multiple objects, plus you don't have multiple shape nodes if that is what yuo want.

An easier/cleaner way to do this is to just make your curve or curves....(you can have more than one shape) and then use the MEL command "parent -add -s" to add the shape to the other transform. Then you can blow away the second object.

For example you have your locator
2. make a curve
3. in the outliner menu turn on Show Shapes
4. Select the curve-shape first
5. Select the locator -transform- second
6. Type: parent -add -s into the MEL window
7. The shape is now duplicated and added under teh locator transform.
8. Blow away the original created curve object.

You are left with the original locator transform and now has 2 shapes. If you do this more than once, you can have a mvoer with multiple shapes...which is nice because then clicking on any of them in the viewport, still selects only that one transform, and you can get really nice complex movers if you want to, even if the splines are separated.

mental
04-30-2003, 03:48 PM
now that's pretty spiffy! thanks mr. comet.

b.Schulz
04-30-2003, 06:16 PM
But then how will my SDK's transfer from my locator to my new curve if I'm just re-parenting so to speak? (or does the "add shape" command transfer all that??) Thanks for the tip!! :D

mental
04-30-2003, 07:23 PM
just try it and you'll find your answer.

b.Schulz
04-30-2003, 08:07 PM
Can't try it till I get home....I don't have my model here at work. hmmmm....I can proly wip something up real quick though to test it I suppose. Was just looking for an answer before I got home to try it. :p

b.Schulz
05-01-2003, 04:27 AM
Cool, thanks! It flipped my curve for some reason, but I unlocked all the controls and oriented it the way I wanted them, lock'd em again and took them back out. Thanks for the quick tip!! :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.