View Full Version : Characters: Hunters for an upcoming PC/Xbox 360 title

ricardocr
01-18-2008, 10:20 PM
<<< Last version of the models at the end of the thread >>>

Here we go,

these are characters that are going to be part of a hunting title
for PC/Xbox 360 plataforms.

Models designed and created by me.
Weapons made by Alessandro Lima (rifle) and Vitor Moura (pump shotgun)

Specs:

11000 Tris aprox for the characters (body+head+accessories)

Each caracter have:

2 x Diffuse maps
2 x Normal maps
2 x Specular maps (plus alpha channel for glossiness)

Comments and critiques are most welcome and needed!

Thanks,
Ricardo

http://features-temp.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/35087/35087_1200690957_large.jpg

http://features-temp.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/35087/35087_1200687271_large.jpg

http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/35087/35087_1200691292_large.jpg

Legopirate
01-19-2008, 05:38 AM
Nice work, very authentic looking hunters :)

FreakyDude
01-19-2008, 08:38 PM
Looks nice and all, and I don't have the skills to build something like this, but to be honest, it looks a little flat, for so many tries and all those maps, the clothes looks to spotless, there's not a crinkle in them, and things like the pockets look like things stitched onto the clothes rather than actual pockets, on both the jeans and the "jumper". It looks abit as if the model has a "high resolution texture" when it doesn't need it, where it would be better to have some modeled detail, and it's just trying to cover that up with the texture.
I can't quite nail it down, but there is something wrong with it.
DO appreciate the craftmanship though, but fact is it's just not perfect, it could be better.

ricardocr
01-19-2008, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the critics.

But let me clarify something... Since these are custom characters, which means you can choose different camos for them, sometimes you loose a little bit in specific details in detriment of customization. So, if I didn't add more details for the volumes, folds and pockets it was because of the fact that I'd be running the risk of changing the diffuse (skin) colors and having undesired effects. Its easily seing in charaters designed for a single purpose and a especific costume and others that are build in a way you can change their colors/skins.

Anyway, thanks again for the critics and I hope the rest of you guys enjoy the models.

Thanks,
Ricardo

Looks nice and all, and I don't have the skills to build something like this, but to be honest, it looks a little flat, for so many tries and all those maps, the clothes looks to spotless, there's not a crinkle in them, and things like the pockets look like things stitched onto the clothes rather than actual pockets, on both the jeans and the "jumper". It looks abit as if the model has a "high resolution texture" when it doesn't need it, where it would be better to have some modeled detail, and it's just trying to cover that up with the texture.
I can't quite nail it down, but there is something wrong with it.
DO appreciate the craftmanship though, but fact is it's just not perfect, it could be better.

PredatorGSR
01-19-2008, 11:56 PM
1st hunter: The normal maps are way too extreme on the clothing. If you actually look at someone wearing clothes like that, even that close, you wouldn't be able to see that kind of bumpyness. Tone that way down until you can barely see it. The other issue is that it seems you are throwing the same cloth bump on everything, and they don't match very well. Some dirt and wear are sorely needed as well, it looks really plastic and fake, not something you'd see in real life. I would add a little bit of dirt in the folds and seams, maybe faint sweatstains. He would be kneeling to shoot, and sitting in a blind, so he needs wear on the knees and butt of the pants. Scuff up his shoes, gloves, and the pockets of his vest.

2nd hunter: Same advice, and the normal bump is too much on the pants, and the spec needs to be taken way down, jeans aren't shiny.

3rd hunter: This guy looks pretty good, just the same advice as the first guy since they have the same vest.

Overall they are very nice models, just need to be pushed a little farther. One other thing I noticed is that the facial skin color doesn't have much variation, especially the last guy. Looking forward to seeing where you take these guys.

ricardocr
01-20-2008, 12:39 AM
Thanks for the comments. I still have work to do on these guys, just have to figure out how to add some dirty and some more variation on the cloth's pattern in conjunction with our custom system. I'w be posting new images soon. And about the skin variation, it may be the lightning (too strong) but I'll check it out.

Thanks again,
Ricardo

1st hunter: The normal maps are way too extreme on the clothing. If you actually look at someone wearing clothes like that, even that close, you wouldn't be able to see that kind of bumpyness. Tone that way down until you can barely see it. The other issue is that it seems you are throwing the same cloth bump on everything, and they don't match very well. Some dirt and wear are sorely needed as well, it looks really plastic and fake, not something you'd see in real life. I would add a little bit of dirt in the folds and seams, maybe faint sweatstains. He would be kneeling to shoot, and sitting in a blind, so he needs wear on the knees and butt of the pants. Scuff up his shoes, gloves, and the pockets of his vest.

2nd hunter: Same advice, and the normal bump is too much on the pants, and the spec needs to be taken way down, jeans aren't shiny.

3rd hunter: This guy looks pretty good, just the same advice as the first guy since they have the same vest.

Overall they are very nice models, just need to be pushed a little farther. One other thing I noticed is that the facial skin color doesn't have much variation, especially the last guy. Looking forward to seeing where you take these guys.

NeptuneImaging
01-21-2008, 03:56 PM
I was just about to mention how overbright these characters are...while they look awesome, I would tone down the speculars on the pants and the skin itself (making the specular a bit tighter...

veteehrri
01-21-2008, 06:34 PM
Hi Ricardo, really nice characters and great textures. As mentioned, just the bright is too high, nice see something about the game.

ricardocr
01-21-2008, 08:17 PM
Hi Ricardo, really nice characters and great textures. As mentioned, just the bright is too high, nice see something about the game.

Thanks, man!

And here we go with some corrections, IŽve added an extra "dirty" layer on the hunters with camos and tweaked a little bit the lighting and colors of the other character (the old guy).

http://features-temp.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/35087/35087_1200945949_large.jpg

http://features-temp.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/35087/35087_1200940262_large.jpg

http://features-temp.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/35087/35087_1200946121_large.jpg

And thanks again for the feedback!

Ricardo

blacker
01-24-2008, 05:01 PM
It looks good, but I'm confused. You mention they are hunters, but I don't see any beer cans/bottles. :D

ricardocr
01-24-2008, 05:24 PM
Give me some time and IŽll post something... I know EXACTLY what you mean, hehehe...

It looks good, but I'm confused. You mention they are hunters, but I don't see any beer cans/bottles. :D

PredatorGSR
01-25-2008, 04:33 AM
Spend a little more time with the placement of the dirt as well as varying the brush type. It feels like you used the same splatter brush on everything, especially in the pants area. Really the only time dirt would look close to that is if a truck drove past him and splattered him with mud, which I'm not sure is the look you really want. Smear up some areas, and instead of dirtying up everything, carefully choose which areas should be dirty.

ricardocr
01-25-2008, 08:01 PM
Spend a little more time with the placement of the dirt as well as varying the brush type. It feels like you used the same splatter brush on everything, especially in the pants area. Really the only time dirt would look close to that is if a truck drove past him and splattered him with mud, which I'm not sure is the look you really want. Smear up some areas, and instead of dirtying up everything, carefully choose which areas should be dirty.

Yeap, I agree... Thanks for the comments!

And here we go, more work on the dirty maps plus some tweaks in occlusion maps

http://features-temp.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/35087/35087_1201290837_large.jpg

http://features-temp.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/35087/35087_1201290294_large.jpg

Thanks again,
Ricardo

PredatorGSR
01-26-2008, 02:26 AM
Much better. Nice job.

CGTalk Moderation
01-26-2008, 02:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.