PDA

View Full Version : Waiting

sodalight
01-18-2008, 01:40 AM
Hello!

I've decided to work on a little animation over summer for my reel. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as I want this shot to be perfect :D I won't say what is going on as I hope people can understand it just by watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB0C-GkfO3A

Thanks!

Capel
01-18-2008, 10:44 PM
it took me a few times but my guess is that he's waiting for his food and he sees a waiter coming and gets ready to eat but the waiter walks right past him.

i think without the waiter this is REALLY hard to read so i hope you're planning to add him walking by. as for the animation, it looks pretty good. it's clear you have a solid understanding of animation principles. i'd tone down your arcs just a bit. it feels just a tad over the top. but hey, it's always easier to tone something down than it is to pump it up.

either way, great work.

sodalight
01-18-2008, 11:50 PM
Hello Capel!

Thanks for your feedback! You know what, those two things were exactly what I was wondering about and wasn't sure if I was just seeing things haha. Will definately take them onboard :)

Tiffany

sodalight
01-19-2008, 09:15 AM
Hello!

an update, I've added the waiter. Hopefully it makes more sense now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opAFyUK1Lf0 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opAFyUK1Lf0)

Feedback very welcome :D

Tiffany

KyleG
01-19-2008, 07:34 PM
Looking really good, main thing that bothered me is at the end when he drops his utensils, both his hands have the exact same poses and timing for the drop. Maybe he drops one like he is now, but the other he holds on to and slowly slides it off the table. Keep up the good work

lime324
01-20-2008, 12:33 PM
This is really good.. nice timing and poses, but I just don't like his final expression, just my personal taste tho..

Keep it up!
Cheers!

sodalight
01-21-2008, 04:08 AM
Hello lime324 and KyleG, thanks for your comments... I'll see what I can do.

I'm currently doing a test by giving more time to each pose, so you can read it better. It seems a bit rushed and a few other people have said so when i've shown it to them... I'll put up an update soon and see what everyone thinks :)

sodalight
01-21-2008, 01:16 PM
Ok, another update. I've given the animation more thinking time... Does it feel like he's thinking?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjLzXY2BiaM

I've also toned down some of the action, to make it less 'fake acting' and more natural.

hope it's better than the original one...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB0C-GkfO3A

feedback please! :D

Tiffany

colarn42
01-25-2008, 05:02 AM
I really like this idea, and the more I watched it the more I liked it. Subtle movments like his finger tapping on his face really add to it. I find the last one *so* much better than the first one you posted, so that's a good thing.

There are a couple things that bother me though. One is throughout the entire animation his foot is planted on the ground and it never moves. He moves his thigh around, but if you look at his ankle it never moves anywhere. With his exaggerated motions I would think he would lift his foot just a tad when repositioning himself. Also, I know his other leg is behind the table, but if you could perhaps tweak either the camera angle or him just a tad so you could see even the littlest bit of his leg I think it would help.

And perhaps its just personal taste, but I feel like the final pose is a little bit too exaggerated, (with his hands on his face in distraught) Perhaps you could tone that down just a tad?

The last thing is the opening few seconds when he's resting on his left hand. Is it meant for him to be nodding off? If so I think there should be a little bit more of a pause in between him "waking up" and then proceeding to rest on his other hand. If it was just him switching arms then I think his body should snap as hard as you have it. I think either will work, but the way it seems to me right now he's kind of in between doing both.

Bravo though, I can't wait to see this finished!

CryoTwin
01-26-2008, 12:18 PM
Im liking the most recent iteration. It's getting there. it feels like its only a small part of something slightly larger. I would work in "the rule of three" to really nail the punchline you have.

1st: Waiting, sees a waiter walk past, doesn't look impressed by the food (maybe even cringes or scoffs/rolls eyes like "my food is going to be better than that" type attitude)

2nd: Waiter #2 walks past with more food. This time it interests his pallet, and smells the air, (now hes hungry!).

3rd: He sees the 3rd waiter walking up, looks happy, gets ready, only to have the waiter continue on to another table (just as you have it).

being that its silent i would try to reference the coy,innocent,cockiness of Mr.Bean
Something along those lines :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-26-2008, 12:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.