PDA

View Full Version : Faq

MarkSnoswell
01-17-2008, 11:46 PM
Why must entrants be members of CGTalk or CGSociety?

We need to be able to contact all entrants -- we have one registration system. This also means that all competition entrants are covered by the same set of Terms and Conditions.

Do I have to submit an image in the 2560 x 1600 size?

Yes.

What if I want to do a different aspect image?

You can fill it out to 2560 x 1600 with black borders.

Why do entrants have to be 18 or older?

Prizes include travel packages that need to be sent to a person 18 years or older. There are also restrictions on minors entering competitions in some countries, so it’s only fair to apply the same age restriction to the whole world.

Are there any work in progress uploads?

No. This is not like a CGChallenge. There are no work in progress requirements. All you have to do is upload your entry before the deadline of March 10th 2008.

Can NVIDIA use my art for marketing without asking me?

No. NVIDIA can only use your art as part of gallery, wallpaper or other collections of similar images with your full credits attached. If NVIDIA want to use your work in some other way they will have to contact you directly to get your permission.

Do I still own my entry?

Yes. The copyright to your image is yours. The only uses Ballistic and NVIDIA have right to are those outlined in the rules.

Why must entrants grant Ballistic Media and sponsor (NVIDIA) first right to publish their submitted work in any media?

NVIDIA are the sole sponsors of this competition and have requested this to prevent any unscruplus competitor trying to exploit entrants work. We agree that it would not be fair to let some competitor benefit from NVIDIA’s sponsorship of this competition. This is why we agreed to this restriction in running this competition – it’s fair.

What image file size is best?

Try to keep images under 2MB. Compressing them with something other than Photoshop will help, as will using a lower compression setting - there is no need for 100% quality when compressing JPEG files.

If I enter a team entry am I eligible to win the single entry prizes

No. Each entry is only eligible to win from the team entry, or individual entry prize pool. Individuals will NOT be competing against team entries.

Is there a limit to how big my team can be?

No, teams may be any size, large or small. However non-team entries must be from an individual.

How do I submit a team entry?

Under the description dialog box, there is a check box marked "This is a team entry". Selecting this allows you to enter the names of those in the team (please use a comma separated list).

koberko
02-15-2008, 10:59 PM
I'm not sure if I can post here, if not, delete my post, but I have couple of questions, and I don't know who to ask....

1. Is it allowed to submit already finished commercial work (arch.viz. done for some client, designed by architects)?

2. What is more important for submitted work; artistic impression of image, or design of structure shown on image? I'm asking this, because I'm working on some design that have many features that I will wish to show, but if I make "artistic" visualization of that design, many cool features will be lost.... that leads me to next question;

3. can I submit composition image? One image (single image file), but made as composition of multiple images of same structure?

4. Is it technical aspect of design crucial for this competition? Will fact that my design is actually possible to build have any positive effect on ranking in this competition?

That's all.
I hope that I didn't brake any rules of this competition with my questions, If I have, I apologize.

Thank you

PiTbullero
02-16-2008, 08:14 AM
? Any limits or specific softwares to be used in this contest?
Excuse me for the late inquiry...

Cheers

Tarazan
02-16-2008, 10:01 AM
1. Is it allowed to submit already finished commercial work (arch.viz. done for some client, designed by architects)?

competition rules:
7- Entries should remain unpublished outside of CGSociety prior to the close of the challenge.

Regards

JBrant
02-17-2008, 06:47 PM
If we are posting in-progress images (which I haven't done yet) do the judges simply take the most recent iteration of your work for the final judging?

salmonmoose
02-18-2008, 02:18 AM
I'm not sure if I can post here, if not, delete my post, but I have couple of questions, and I don't know who to ask....

2. What is more important for submitted work; artistic impression of image, or design of structure shown on image? I'm asking this, because I'm working on some design that have many features that I will wish to show, but if I make "artistic" visualization of that design, many cool features will be lost.... that leads me to next question;

3. can I submit composition image? One image (single image file), but made as composition of multiple images of same structure?

4. Is it technical aspect of design crucial for this competition? Will fact that my design is actually possible to build have any positive effect on ranking in this competition?

That's all.
I hope that I didn't brake any rules of this competition with my questions, If I have, I apologize.

Thank you

1> No, work must remain unpublished outside of ballistic media.

2> We're looking for artistic images over technical marvels, however, this is just a matter of the judge's taste.

3> I'd suggest entering each image separately. Multiple views limit the detail available. However, again, this is a matter of what the judges think.

4> It may have - some of the judges have a base in architectural backgrounds. Others however don't.

salmonmoose
02-18-2008, 02:19 AM
? Any limits or specific softwares to be used in this contest?
Excuse me for the late inquiry...

Cheers

No. Use what ever you like, you can construct your image in notepad if you feel it's appropriate :D

salmonmoose
02-18-2008, 02:20 AM
If we are posting in-progress images (which I haven't done yet) do the judges simply take the most recent iteration of your work for the final judging?

ONLY the image you submit on the entry form will be judged.

JBrant
02-18-2008, 03:01 AM
Thanks, Salmonmoose. That does leave me with another question, or two.

1. How do I get my in-progress work up on the forum? I get the "You do not have privileges to post new thread" message.

I posted my in-progress work through the "subit entry" page because I wasn't having any luck posting to the forum. I guess I was mistaken.

2. Is that going to be a problem when I post my finished image?

Thanks again for your help.

Tarazan
02-18-2008, 01:17 PM
1. How do I get my in-progress work up on the forum? I get the "You do not have privileges to post new thread" message.

I posted my in-progress work through the "subit entry" page because I wasn't having any luck posting to the forum. I guess I was mistaken.

The only way to make new thread here is to "Submit entry" button, you can't use "new thread" button as usual to insure any new thread has corresponding image submitted.

No. Use what ever you like, you can construct your image in notepad if you feel it's appropriate :D
lol :cool:

salmonmoose
02-19-2008, 12:44 AM
Thanks, Salmonmoose. That does leave me with another question, or two.

2. Is that going to be a problem when I post my finished image?

Thanks again for your help.

You can either post it in the WIP forums, or post your FINAL image and follow it with the WIP stages. You need to host these images yourself. This is not a WIP Challenge.

No. Although, I suppose it's possible that people will really like your WIP, and vote for it.

Zodiac
02-19-2008, 09:45 AM
is there 3d or 2d seperation or limitation ? I see some 2d images in the inspiration section . but since this is nvidia, it should be 3d ? I am confused.

salmonmoose
02-20-2008, 12:30 AM
No there is no limitation, other than creating the image with a computer.

infoarq
02-20-2008, 10:17 AM
Hi, i have a problem with one pic....

I don´t read rules and posted one pic used in other site. (i break rules)

7.- Entries should remain unpublished outside of CGSociety prior to the close of the challenge. Entries should remain unpublished outside of CGSociety prior to the close of the challenge.

CASTILNOVO ENTRY

SORRY SORRY SORRY.

PLEASE EXCLUDE THIS PIC (FROM ME) OF CONTEST.....

Sandcity are unpublished...

Thanks.

horheCG
02-21-2008, 03:36 AM
Well i know the ratio must be within the 2560 x 1600 pix.
Can I produce landscape as well as portrait? (technically the ratio changes and is 1600x2560). Well if not im in for some serious time consuming composition changes.

Naisart
02-21-2008, 04:47 PM
Hi

I was wondering witch resolution we should work with? Is 72 DPI ok?

Thanks!

salmonmoose
02-21-2008, 11:41 PM
Hi

I was wondering witch resolution we should work with? Is 72 DPI ok?

Thanks!

DPI makes no difference to resolution - so long as the pixel dimensions are the ones stated in the rules, your file will work.

enigma3DV
02-22-2008, 01:19 PM
I have submitted my entry but it dowsn't appear in the "view all entries" grid. Shall i wait until the admins approve and create a thread for my entry?

Thanks

-enigma

Got IT....my image exceeds 2MB.

---Kindly Delete post ----

Thanks again

tomaya
02-25-2008, 09:26 AM
So,we can post several pics ?

salmonmoose
02-26-2008, 11:14 AM
So,we can post several pics ?

As long as they meet the guidelines :)

enthewhite
02-27-2008, 06:18 PM
Sorry, but I am still a bit confused...

If I have a picture for the contest that is not yet completed, and I want to get some opinions on it, should I start a thread in the Work in Progress forum, or should I post it by entering it in the ArtSpace contest?

livake
02-28-2008, 05:51 PM
I've posted 2 WIP's and my final work is already done but i didn't post it yet. Means that the jury will not

considerate my final work, just the first one ? (first one means WIP's)

What should I do ?

Thank You for your time!

SittingDucky
03-01-2008, 10:26 AM
Hi, im sorry if this question has been asked before, but im not sure if i can post the full size image link along with the entry, without breaking the rule about it being published somewhere else, rule 7 : )) .. ..im afraid it will be too small and details would be lost so im thinking of uploading it on some free storage site and linking it. tnx for time :)

DesignerGr
03-02-2008, 03:08 PM
I have the same question With SittingDucky Since many people cant see all the fine details that i have put to my work Lost Paradise (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=602494) .

ikeetek
03-03-2008, 12:43 AM
May I get an e-mail confirmation of my attempt at entry upload?
If status is a failure to upload, will it be pointed out in detail?
How long should I wait before trying again?

Thanks for a gr8t competition! :thumbsup:

salmonmoose
03-03-2008, 12:59 AM
Sorry, but I am still a bit confused...

If I have a picture for the contest that is not yet completed, and I want to get some opinions on it, should I start a thread in the Work in Progress forum, or should I post it by entering it in the ArtSpace contest?

Post in the WIP section of the site.

salmonmoose
03-03-2008, 01:02 AM
I've posted 2 WIP's and my final work is already done but i didn't post it yet. Means that the jury will not

considerate my final work, just the first one ? (first one means WIP's)

What should I do ?

Thank You for your time!

All entered works will be considered. Your final image won't be judged in respect to your WIP images. Although if a judge prefers them, they could be voted for.

Also note: If you edit your initial post to point to an image other than the one you submitted, it won't work. Please submit a new entry if you wish to update your design.

salmonmoose
03-03-2008, 01:03 AM
Hi, im sorry if this question has been asked before, but im not sure if i can post the full size image link along with the entry, without breaking the rule about it being published somewhere else, rule 7 : )) .. ..im afraid it will be too small and details would be lost so im thinking of uploading it on some free storage site and linking it. tnx for time :)

Yes, that's fine. We just hide the full sized image, because some people don't want their stuff printed off without their consent.

salmonmoose
03-03-2008, 01:03 AM
May I get an e-mail confirmation of my attempt at entry upload?
If status is a failure to upload, will it be pointed out in detail?
How long should I wait before trying again?

Thanks for a gr8t competition! :thumbsup:

The submission process should take you directly to your entry thread. If it does not, wait a while, and try again.

anew3rd
03-03-2008, 01:13 PM
I have submit a file, twice, there was no confermation that is was a successful submition. Is there a way to fine out if it was a successful submition. Title of the artwork was "Red Rock City" it was done in photoshop.

I believe I followed all the rules. if I didn't catch one would this be the reason for not seeing in on the recent entries.

Jon

dutchtilt
03-04-2008, 02:52 PM
I think the contest is an amazing creative outlet, and it is almost done perfectly...i have a Major beef with the judges. from what **I** saw, there are NO architects!!!??? i think this is truly a huge mistake. Being an architect and in the CG world, i know that a Practicing architect will bring so much more to the jury process. I think the jury will affect what people submit, look at the inspiration area...its a load of sci-fi, star trek, video gamish stuff...which is ALL gorgeous mind-you...but when you refer to Gehry, and have architecture in the title of the contest...i think you should have at least one practicing architect on the panel.

i dont say this to be negative, i say this because this IS a freakin wonderful contest, and if it will every attract more than the gamers and trekies, we need to step up the true archiecture side of things...There are loads of young, conceptual, 3d, theoretical designers out there...im sure they would love to help.

my 2 cents.

DIGIJUL
03-04-2008, 03:31 PM
dutchtilt, i think youre right, i am an architecture student so i also think that an architect
apreciation shoud be apropiated

i also wanted to ask to the people of the contest for more time to finish the image,
im working on mine and i dont know if i will submit it on time

i think this chalenge requires more time that the previous.
besides in the first chalenge we had more time cause the free time of december; i started college in february so i didn't have time to work in the image. maybe there are other people with the same problem.

anyway i just wantetd to say that
i hope that you can give us more time so maybe i can finish my image

great contest and i hope another after this one

DIGIJUL
03-04-2008, 03:42 PM
dutchtilt, i think youre right, i am an architecture student so i also think that an architect apreciation shoud be apropiated

i also wanted to ask to the people of the contest for more time to finish the image,
im working on mine and i dont know if i will submit it on time

i think this chalenge requires more time that the previous.
besides in the first chalenge we had more time cause the free time of december; i started college in february so i didn't have time to work in the image. maybe there are other people with the same problem.

anyway i just wantetd to say that
i hope that you can give us more time so maybe i can finish my image

great contest and i hope another after this one

salmonmoose
03-04-2008, 11:02 PM
I have submit a file, twice, there was no confermation that is was a successful submition. Is there a way to fine out if it was a successful submition. Title of the artwork was "Red Rock City" it was done in photoshop.

I believe I followed all the rules. if I didn't catch one would this be the reason for not seeing in on the recent entries.

Jon

Did it return you to the page you submitted on? Or a thread? If it dropped you back to the page you started on, something was wrong with your entry, likely the file was larger than 2 megs.

cglight
03-05-2008, 11:22 PM
I haven't had the time lately to be a part of this competition, too bad closing date on 10 March 2008.

Dutchtilt: Yea I agree; good to see architects as judges. But most of the judges are really professional artists; so it shouldn't be a must.

I don't know if I have time, but is the mass study accepted?

Best,
Sam

anew3rd
03-05-2008, 11:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anew3rd

Jon

Did it return you to the page you submitted on? Or a thread? If it dropped you back to the page you started on, something was wrong with your entry, likely the file was larger than 2 megs.

(http://twitter.com/salmonmoose)
*** No I found out what I did, 2560 x 1600 landscape can not become a 1600 x 2560 portait, which I made thnking that I could make the best of the long pickture since I was working with a mountain. .

Didn't realize I can't flip this to submit... but it is post, smaller than my liking but none the less it went thru.

Thanks

hris
03-06-2008, 10:33 PM
If i'm living in Poland - which hour at 10 MArch is the deadline? or which hour at 9 March...i'm not sure which day is THE LAST DAY when i can upload image to cgtalk - 10 March or 9 March.
Thanks in advance
Greetings from Poland for All Competitors (and judges off course too).

Hris

AlZoulou
03-07-2008, 01:26 AM
I supplemented my image, I downloaded the file... but I do not see this image appearing with the image of the other take part why? :shrug:

MarkSnoswell
03-07-2008, 02:08 AM
If i'm living in Poland - which hour at 10 MArch is the deadline? or which hour at 9 March...i'm not sure which day is THE LAST DAY when i can upload image to cgtalk - 10 March or 9 March.
Thanks in advance
Greetings from Poland for All Competitors (and judges off course too).

Hris

The closing time is midnight on the 10th March. We dont close the entries untill midnight of the 10th has passed everywhere in the world.

okmijun
03-07-2008, 08:07 AM
Hi

I tried today to upload the entry, I paste the title + text, found the image on HDD, cklicked upload, and everything went OK, but I can not see my entry? So, what to do?
My image size is 2,100,559 ~ 2MB is that problem?
Please help!

EDIT:
I think I solved the problem, it was file size.

Rochr
03-07-2008, 11:21 AM
Sorry in advance if this is a dumb question, but with "unpublished", do you mean printed in a magazine, used commercially etc or simply just posted on another website?

AlZoulou
03-07-2008, 04:22 PM
I supplemented my image, I downloaded the file... but I do not see this image appearing with the image of the other take part why?

2560x1200 jpeg Hight res= 3 mega to big or not! :sad:

Thank you
AlZoulou

adoracion3D
03-08-2008, 11:39 AM
I have the same issue I try to post my image 2560*1600 = 3Mega also and I didn't find it in the entries...????

adoracion3D
03-08-2008, 11:44 AM
Ok I have compress it to reduce the size and it works !

Tarazan
03-08-2008, 12:59 PM
Sorry in advance if this is a dumb question, but with "unpublished", do you mean printed in a magazine, used commercially etc or simply just posted on another website?
IMHO it means all those cases.
I supplemented my image, I downloaded the file... but I do not see this image appearing with the image of the other take part why?

2560x1200 jpeg Hight res= 3 mega to big or not! :sad:

Thank you
AlZoulou
It should be under 2 mb.Try to recompress it under 2 mb limit.

Regards

Rochr
03-08-2008, 02:57 PM
IMHO it means all those cases.

That´s what i suspect as well.
If this is the case, i would ask one of our friendly moderators to remove my entry, since i´ve had the image posted in my gallery over at Renderosity.

cienias
03-08-2008, 04:09 PM
The closing time is midnight on the 10th March. We dont close the entries untill midnight of the 10th has passed everywhere in the world.

1. Does that mean you can submit untill Midnight on the 10th March in UTC -12 (Baker Island, Howland Island etc zone) regardless where you are? Or is it tied to the time zone of the country you specified in your registration?
2. I was also never clear about the "midnight" in relation to a current date - is midnight the end or the beginning of the day?
To put it simply: Do we have time until the end of Sunday or Monday?

Thanks,
Olek

ikeetek
03-08-2008, 05:04 PM
In view of the magnificent array of 3D submittals, it may be more encouraging to 2D'ers to have a separate category, if not in this, then in succeeding events. or maybe a category to pool a select (50? 75? 100?) collection of jury, committee or member voted favorites. A printed catalogue of said cream of the crop pieces would generate much interest. No cash prize needed, too, just the honor of being chosen is enough. Nonetheless, thank you for a wonderful venue for individual expression!

cienias
03-08-2008, 06:46 PM
I am asking the same question as I am not sure when and if my previous post ever shows up.
1. Is there the same deadline for everyone regardles of their time zone?
2. Is the midnight the 10th the end of Sunday or the end of Monday?

Thanks,
Olek

nagalakov
03-08-2008, 08:07 PM
I can't submit image to participate in NVIDIA competition. On the midle of the procces it just return on submition page. Image correspond all requirements. I guess I will try open other account, or provide me with differen solution?

Thank you.
Natalia Agalakov

CLONEOPS
03-08-2008, 10:25 PM
This might help for time issues.
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/
Contest ends march 10 midnight..images submitted the first second of march 11 will be rejected i suppose.:)

Natalia.-
If the size/dimension is not 'exactly' right- it will reject.
If it is over 2 mb in file size- it will reject
If you have some trouble submitting -use "paint.net" to open your image and save as jpg at as least 90% if is not at 90-91% or more it will reject. (the compression in this program works better)..it solved a few problems in the last contest.
http://www.getpaint.net/

..also make sure you check the tick box.
"I have read and understand the competition rules."
-if not it rejects.

crabbman
03-09-2008, 03:25 AM
I tried uploading an image for the NVArt competition yesterday but haven't seen it come up in the submissions gallery and I got no kind of confirmation that it all uploaded correctly. Makes me a little nervous since I worked hard on it to get it in by the deadline. I had a couple commercials going at the same time so it made for late nights. I'd hate to miss out on the competition. I'm new to this submitting thing so I might just be missing something. (I also re-tried a few times so I may be crowding your server, sorry )
Help?
Ron

cienias
03-09-2008, 04:02 AM
I know I'm being repetitive but I think it is important to clarify the deadline time.
It is not really clear especially since the Introduction page says: One image per entry must be uploaded prior to March 10th 2008, and in the FAQ section it is stated: The closing time is midnight on the 10th March. We dont close the entries untill midnight of the 10th has passed everywhere in the world.
So my 2 questions remain:
1. Is there the same deadline for everyone regardles of their time zone?
2. Is the midnight the 10th the end of Sunday or the end of Monday?

Thanks,
Olek

CLONEOPS
03-09-2008, 05:09 AM
1. answer=yes
The way it works is if it the deadline lapses in your time zone you are done...time is up.
Look at your clock ..what time is it?
What is the date?.. simple.
2... yes you do have all day of march 10.

nagalakov
03-09-2008, 05:32 AM
Thank you for very valuable advice, I finally submited my entry.

Natalia Agalakov.

This might help for time issues.
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/
Contest ends march 10 midnight..images submitted the first second of march 11 will be rejected i suppose.:)

Natalia.-
If the size/dimension is not 'exactly' right- it will reject.
If it is over 2 mb in file size- it will reject
If you have some trouble submitting -use "paint.net" to open your image and save as jpg at as least 90% if is not at 90-91% or more it will reject. (the compression in this program works better)..it solved a few problems in the last contest.
http://www.getpaint.net/

..also make sure you check the tick box.
"I have read and understand the competition rules."
-if not it rejects.

CLONEOPS
03-09-2008, 07:48 AM
Je vous en prie.
Pazhalooysta.
Your welcome.:)

AJLynn
03-09-2008, 05:56 PM
Okay, so starting right now seems a bit crazy, but I've had this idea kicking around in my head and I may be able to pull it off, but I have a question:

Can the project be an original work that is sited in an existing city, and uses a publicly available model of the city? Specifically, owing to my urban design background, my idea is for an open site located in Boston and in the middle of this: http://www.cityofboston.gov/bra/BRA_3D_Models/Index.html

The focus of the work would be the orignal content - it's not to do a render of the existing.

PeteNovak
03-09-2008, 06:50 PM
I tried uploading an image for the NVArt competition yesterday but haven't seen it come up in the submissions gallery and I got no kind of confirmation that it all uploaded correctly. Makes me a little nervous since I worked hard on it to get it in by the deadline. I had a couple commercials going at the same time so it made for late nights. I'd hate to miss out on the competition. I'm new to this submitting thing so I might just be missing something. (I also re-tried a few times so I may be crowding your server, sorry )
Help?
Ron

I also have tried to upload my image, but it has not shown up on the website, and there is no way to know if it was successfully received. Is this normal?
Just hoping for clarification.
Thank you,
Pete

PVZQ
03-09-2008, 07:00 PM
Hello,

Despite the deadline is really close I want to note that there are some typo mistakes in the web pages.

- The Prize List in the "introduction" is different than in the "Prize list" section.
We asume that the correct prize list is as listed in the "Prize List" Section because it's specific and more detailed (specifying individual and team prizes).

- The deadline in the submition form (in the first paragraph) says "prior to Jan 7th", although (and logically) in the title and everywhere says March 10th

The term "prior to March 10th" was a bit confusing (and didn't tell if it was GMT zone)
Thanks to Mark for explaining it.

I really hope these series of NVart challenges continue.
I almost have no time to work for my entry, but they are Really inspiring!!

Thanks a lot in advance to everyone.

Regards.

Anacardo
03-09-2008, 08:04 PM
In the end the deadline is not clear at all, at least not to those artist unfamiliar with english language and/or english tradition. For example in italy the "strictly correct" interpretation would see the competition closing the night of 9th, exactly at 23:59:59 (for what is told on the website, but that would be 0:59:59 of the 10th for what is being specified in the FAQs). Still, is quite common in Italy to refer the midnight of the 10th to actually the 0:00 of the 11th. Therefore.... well... I believe there's a lot of confusion among international users... PLease give us a hand :D... (an OFFICIAL hand)

MihrA
03-09-2008, 08:24 PM
Can i submit my entry in the last day of the event (10th March) ?

josemi
03-09-2008, 08:52 PM
Hi all, i have a problem,
I want to submit my pic, but because i am a new member, my first 2 post must be validated and it takes 24 hours,,so its march 9 at 3pm, hope some admn see this post to validate it.

PVZQ
03-09-2008, 08:59 PM
in my country we also call "midnight of march 10th" to the 11:59:59 PM of march 10th or 0:00 AM of march 11th..

- So now I'm not sure if I can upload an image in March 10th or just until 11:59:59 PM of March 9th...

I know I should have uploaded it before, but personal problems didn't allow me to work on this before, and now the computer is rendering the complex image
(Very Long render.. After rendering the 25%, the time left to finish is more than 14hs !!...using 2 CPUs)

-- IF it is POSSIBLE: PLEASE LET US UPLOAD until 11:59:59 PM of March 10th...

- And any Extension to the deadline would be GREATLY Appreciated...

Best regards.

krzlesniewski
03-09-2008, 10:27 PM
i cannot submit my entry...why?

pyazarian
03-10-2008, 03:51 AM
I am unable to submit my entry. When I fill out the form and upload my image, and hit submit, it takes me back to the form. I do not get a confirmation that my image was submitted and don't see it in the submitted entries and do not get an error either. What can I be doing wrong? I signed in as a member before going to the form! Thanks for the help.

Artbot
03-10-2008, 05:41 AM
I am also curious about the submission cutoff time. The rules simply said "before March 10th", and by my clock/calendar, it is still March 9th for another hour and a half.

But my entry image is stamped with the date of March 10. So did I make it in time or not? Will the thread simply be locked when it's no longer possible to enter? If my image uploaded to the entries thread is it considered "on time"?

chromecity
03-10-2008, 05:58 AM
Hmmm. I just noticed our team's entry is also stamped with March 10th. I thought the cutoff time was Pacific Time. I'd hate to think that the effort we spent solely for this contest was lost due to a technicality - especially on the very same day where we already just lost an hour due to the daylight savings time changeover.

Tarazan
03-10-2008, 09:00 AM
It is clear from the competition rules that the end of competition before 10 of march.
Unfortunately, I didn't finish my image because I've spent a lot of time putting some fine details :) .
Good luck 4 all :)

thepineman
03-10-2008, 10:57 AM
i am sorry to hear that a lot of people wasnt able to submit their entry due to time zones or just being late? maybe, they would extend it just like the last time (previous one). i too have one more entry to submit.

cienias
03-10-2008, 11:32 AM
so is it the end of 9th or the 10th the real deadline?

it's actually still 30min left till the end of the 9th at GMT -12.

but if it's the end of the 10th it would be great cause I would fix some stuff in my image that I didn't have time for.

PVZQ
03-10-2008, 12:21 PM
I am one of those who are still working for an entry to get it the most Perfect and beautiful in the remaining time..

My render took more than 14hs and still didn't finish (will take 10 more) that was unexpected..

Also would like to make some postproduction retouches, to make it more beautiful

I am Really Sorry to be late and for the delay my work took.
I couldn't work on this before
Maybe I'm crazy but I almost didn't sleep in last days

WE WILL APPRECIATE A LITTLE EXTENTION if possible.

Thank you very much.

natzuur
03-10-2008, 05:14 PM
According to an earlier post, midnight has to pass EVERYWHERE in the world ON march 10th before the entries close. so you still have time at this point, as it is still the 10th. Also if your having problem uploading try reducing to 2MB JPEG.

UnrealMirage
03-10-2008, 06:03 PM
I see a lot of people are encountering the same problem I am, I can't submit my entry.

ivanegues
03-10-2008, 10:40 PM
1. Make shure the image size 2560x1600
2. Make it less than 2MB
3. Make shure you mark the "I have read and understand the competition rules" box.

This are the things that had work for me. Just an advice.

Good Luck!

salmonmoose
03-11-2008, 12:29 AM
The deadline is after midnight march 10. Or, once it is no longer march 10 anywhere on the planet.

If you are having trouble with the images make sure they are the exact dimensions, and under 2 megs in size. The exact dimensions means landscape format, portrait format will not work. Also if you are still having troubles, make sure the image is in RGB format, CMYK and RGBA jpegs are not true jpegs and will likely not work.

chromecity
03-11-2008, 03:38 AM
Is there a way to view the actual 2560x1600 images that people have submitted, or are we just allowed to see the 1280x800 versions that are half as wide and half as tall? As you would expect, many of the small details don't come across clearly when the images are only 1/4 of the size of what was actually submitted.

horheCG
03-11-2008, 03:47 AM
Is there a way to view the actual 2560x1600 images that people have submitted, or are we just allowed to see the 1280x800 versions that are half as wide and half as tall? As you would expect, many of the small details don't come across clearly when the images are only 1/4 of the size of what was actually submitted.

Well as I see it they are keeping the bigger images to themselves due to unwanted thirdparty printing issues.

TCPortfolio
03-11-2008, 04:40 AM
Now that the competition is closed, I wonder how long it will be before they announce the winners and honorable mentions. I have a feeling that it would be about a month, b/c it seems that's what it was for "Amazing Creations." Any thoughts from anyone?

agv
03-11-2008, 04:41 AM
First, thanks to the NVArt organizers for making this contest possible. Not only was it motivation for me to complete a previous project, but it has been an opportunity to see some really marvelous and imaginative works by other artists!

I concur with some of the other posters that the deadline was confusing. I wished I had realized that the deadline was at the end of March 10th, not prior to March 10th as indicated on the introduction page. I rushed my entree and would have liked another day to tweak the details. Time was up by the time I read this thread.

Oh, and as TCPortfolio says... any idea when the winners will be announced? Thanks.

salmonmoose
03-11-2008, 04:42 AM

No.

They will be judged at full resolution however.

salmonmoose
03-11-2008, 04:43 AM
Now that the competition is closed, I wonder how long it will be before they announce the winners and honorable mentions. I have a feeling that it would be about a month, b/c it seems that's what it was for "Amazing Creations." Any thoughts from anyone?

About a month is about right.

agv
03-11-2008, 04:47 AM
Do the judges look at the comments that other people post?

cienias
03-11-2008, 04:54 AM
but there are still a few hours left right?

i would make a suggestion for future competitions to add some kind of countdown clock on the introduction page. no questions would be asked about that matter.

so is it closed? because according to my calculations there are still 7 hours left...

chromecity
03-11-2008, 05:44 AM
I concur with some of the other posters that the deadline was confusing. I wished I had realized that the deadline was at the end of March 10th, not prior to March 10th as indicated on the introduction page. I rushed my entree and would have liked another day to tweak the details.
I definitely agree. I'm not upset or anything, but it would be nice to really know the exact deadline next time.

i would make a suggestion for future competitions to add some kind of countdown clock on the introduction page. no questions would be asked about that matter.
That's an excellent idea! :thumbsup:

salmonmoose
03-11-2008, 06:22 AM
Ooops ... naffed up the times - it's back online now.

salmonmoose
03-11-2008, 06:28 AM
Ooops ... naffed up the times - it's back online now.

Traditionally we shut things off at midnight UTC. However being a rather vauge time, I'll leave it open for bit of overtime grace.

cienias
03-11-2008, 06:44 AM
http://www.worldtimezone.com/time/wtzresult.php?CiID=42241

this the time I understand to be the correct one for cut-off.

wodewil
03-11-2008, 07:12 AM
according to Olek Novak's ;) suggestion, I agree that countdown clock it is very very good idea and it works well with that kind of deadline stress :D

lukT

PVZQ
03-11-2008, 07:23 AM
Traditionally we shut things off at midnight UTC. However being a rather vauge time, I'll leave it open for bit of overtime grace.

Hi, Thanks for that.

I am sad though, I was working very hard, my hard disk failed, I lost 1 day installing everything again, spent 3 days sleeping almost nothing, and the software gave me lot of errors and crashes. No fault is from the challenge, of course. All was unexpected to me

But I would really appreciate to make a deadline more clear, I stopped the work because I thought the entries were closed...

If you can give a 1 day extention or so... that couud help some others who had problems submitting their work too.

Thank you very much.

(btw... i had to install Operating system and software again in an emergency hard disk drive, looked like a conspiracy against me :( and my work is not what I wanted, not even finished.. but I will work on it untill I get the submissions closed.. I try to do my best with the very few days I had due to personal problems)

Best regards

salmonmoose
03-11-2008, 07:38 AM
The switch done manually - in reality that probably gives you 12 or so hours before I'm in the office again :)

cienias
03-11-2008, 07:51 AM
i am trying to submit right now - please give me 10 min. it's not the deadline time yet...

cienias
03-11-2008, 08:14 AM
thanks! it's seems to be uploaded now.
Olek

jonone
03-11-2008, 10:59 PM
im just curious about the judging...will each judge get the high res version and send theyr favorites...or do they all meet and start some sort of discussion ?:)

salmonmoose
03-12-2008, 02:04 AM
Currently we're running it as a 2 stage process.

All the judges get the opportunity to pick their favorite 10 images.

Then, they meet and discuss the winners from that group.

MarkSnoswell
03-12-2008, 11:37 AM
im just curious about the judging...will each judge get the high res version and send theyr favorites...or do they all meet and start some sort of discussion ?:)

The judges have access to the full resolution images for all entries.

jonone
03-12-2008, 02:01 PM
cheers for the answers

agv
03-13-2008, 01:45 AM
Do the judges look at the additional comments that other people post to the entree, or just the artist's comments?

MarkSnoswell
03-13-2008, 02:51 AM
Judgeing is on artistic merit. Although everything is availble to judges the focus is on the images to exclusion of any potentialy biasing materials.

SlaveOfMaya
03-13-2008, 07:00 AM
I have uploaded my image before the deadline (with the Submit), and I cannot find my image in the entries. Is it possible it will be processed and diplayed later?

chromecity
03-13-2008, 07:19 AM
I'm thinking there was some problem when you submitted your image. :sad:

When I click on my username and then choose "Find More Posts by chromecity", there's one in there (on 03-09-2008, 11:48 PM) for when I submitted my entry. But when I click on your username and then choose "Find More Posts by SlaveOfMaya", I see the post you just made that I am replying to, and then it goes back to a post from 11-07-2007, with nothing in between those two posts. :sad:

Mattew1625
03-13-2008, 04:23 PM
i just want to say that i LEARNED a LOT from this competition. i hope there's more.

cienias
03-13-2008, 08:10 PM
is it against the rules to submit our images entered in this competition to other competitions and "calls for entries", namely: d'artiste - Digital Painting 2 and ELEMENTAL 3 ?

m1j
03-13-2008, 08:30 PM
I like the idea of the slide show on the all entries page but it only shows the first page of images. Even when I go to other pages it still shows the first page of images. Is this a flaw? Or is it something else?

chromecity
03-14-2008, 10:31 PM
I think someone who's involved in officiating this contest needs to take a look at this thread and decide whether the entry should be disqualified:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=230&t=605444

Using someone else's work as your own is unethical enough, but submitting it in a contest? Some people have a lot of nerve. :sad:

salmonmoose
03-17-2008, 01:42 AM
I like the idea of the slide show on the all entries page but it only shows the first page of images. Even when I go to other pages it still shows the first page of images. Is this a flaw? Or is it something else?

Try using the plugin - the web-client might not work quite correctly.

m1j
03-17-2008, 01:52 PM
Try using the plugin - the web-client might not work quite correctly.

What plugin? The 3D wall link at the top? PickLens? I could on my home computer but not the office.

Oh well. Great idea. Too bad it is broke on the web client.

salmonmoose
03-18-2008, 04:37 AM
What plugin? The 3D wall link at the top? PickLens? I could on my home computer but not the office.

Oh well. Great idea. Too bad it is broke on the web client.

Tell me about it ;)

The plugin doesn't work on beta versions of browsers (IE 8 and Firefox 3) which I tend to use.. I had to install it under Flock (of all things)

jttruong85
03-24-2008, 12:29 PM
I have 2 indentical entries, but forgot to deleted the other one. I wonder if I'll be disqualified for this. I didn't realize that I still had the first entry until yesterday.

Will I be disqualified?

here is ealier, the one I forgot to delete. I tried to delete it yesterday, but the judges probably already got all the copies.
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=606315

here is the real one.
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=606459

Scriblab
03-26-2008, 03:16 PM
Hi!

I´m sorry if this is allready answerd or is anywhere listed (I havent found it... ) but when can we expect the results from the judges and where will the results announced?

Greetings!
Marius

KoperK
03-26-2008, 05:31 PM
Just a quick question

Am I allowed to use my entree at this time (26/03/08) for a portfolio image to enter another competition? (The AVC over at cgarchitect.com)

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=5042888#post5042888

Adriaan

MarkSnoswell
03-27-2008, 01:02 AM
The Results are scheduled to be posted the week of April 7-11th -- probably on the 10th when our regular newsletter goes out.
Please send individual requests to me if you wish to post entered images elsewhere. This is a requirment of NVIDIA's sponsorship. It has not proven to be a problem and has worked well for the first competition.

thanks

LightSovereign
03-27-2008, 01:19 AM
The Results are scheduled to be posted the week of April 7-11th -- probably on the 10th when our regular newsletter goes out.
Please send individual requests to me if you wish to post entered images elsewhere. This is a requirment of NVIDIA's sponsorship. It has not proven to be a problem and has worked well for the first competition.

thanks

Thats very cool to hear.

with regard to posting elsewhere are we allowed to post in other galleries in general?. I have no plans to enter any of my pieces into a contest..

thank you

Marley

hris
03-27-2008, 09:39 AM
Hello Mr Mark Snoswell!!!
Maybe i made some mistake and I putted my image on forum:
forum.c4d-pl.org because i made my scene in this software (Cinema 4D) and i want to share my picture with others C4D user ...if it isn't OK i can remove topic with my art from forum forum.c4d-pl.org. But in rules (NVART artspace) i didn't found information about some restrictions to show pictures to other people (non-commercial promotion). Please Mr Mark Snoswell i need short explain - is it wrong that i shared my image with others before results of challange or not.
And i don't have any other forums where i want to share my picture with others.

Thank You in advance and
Best regards
Hris (Christopher Czerwinski)

MarkSnoswell
03-29-2008, 02:26 AM
Hello Mr Mark Snoswell!!!
Maybe i made some mistake and I putted my image on forum:
forum.c4d-pl.org because i made my scene in this software (Cinema 4D) and i want to share my picture with others C4D user ...if it isn't OK i can remove topic with my art from forum forum.c4d-pl.org. But in rules (NVART artspace) i didn't found information about some restrictions to show pictures to other people (non-commercial promotion). Please Mr Mark Snoswell i need short explain - is it wrong that i shared my image with others before results of challange or not.
And i don't have any other forums where i want to share my picture with others.

Thank You in advance and
Best regards

Hi Chris, NVIDIA hav been very good about this. Strictly speaking the images should not be posted elsewhere. However if you include both a credit that says the image was an entry for NVArt competition and a link back the the competition then you can post to the sites you have.

This is not an open invitation for everyone to post their entry images everywhere. However you can post to your personal web sites, cCGPortfolios or elsewhere here on CGSociety with the proper credits. Please ask before posting on any third party web site.

jttruong85
03-29-2008, 03:42 AM
Hi, I post this question ealier. I have 2 indentical entries, but forgot to deleted the other one. I wonder if I'll be disqualified for this. Thanks.

MarkSnoswell
03-29-2008, 09:42 AM
Hi, I post this question ealier. I have 2 indentical entries, but forgot to deleted the other one. I wonder if I'll be disqualified for this. Thanks.

Not a problem -- :)

Mark.

hris
03-29-2008, 10:22 AM
Thank You for answer Mr Snoswell!
In the title of my picture which i send to forum (forum.c4d-pl.org) i wrote information that is piece of art made for NVART challange, and inside of topic I add information what challange it is (link to website http://events.cgsociety.org/NVArt/02/). I want to apologize Judges and all Competitors for break the rules of the challange.

best regards

livake
04-05-2008, 02:48 PM
Ho win in this contest? where we can see the winners...

MarkSnoswell
04-05-2008, 10:43 PM
The winners are scheduled to be announced on April 17th or shortly thereafter.

tsmith
04-09-2008, 04:09 PM
I missed the last message, sorry and thank you.

tsmith
04-09-2008, 04:10 PM
My mistake for missing the previous message on the judging date.
Sorry and Thank you.

tsmith
04-09-2008, 04:12 PM
My mistake for missing the previous message on the judging date.
Sorry and thank you.

skAt3f0r71f3
04-13-2008, 02:28 PM
still no results:cry:

SittingDucky
04-13-2008, 04:16 PM
you can read on previous page, its on april 17th, i hope :D i already forgot about it, i think its a bit too long waiting : ))

chromecity
04-14-2008, 10:15 PM
Contest image sighting - the impressive Dubai ones are one of the highlights of the latest modo newsletter:
http://www.luxology.com/newsletter/2008/04/images/gallery/dubai.jpg

Luxology should have probably waited a couple more days though because it would be more impressive to say what that imagery won - and it will be surprising indeed if those pieces don't win something. :bowdown:

LightSovereign
04-15-2008, 01:32 AM
Aww, big congratz to alvin..Honestly i hadn't seen all the images but seeing the top one with the aero plane really drove it all home i think. its so freaky

pure admiration...

Agreed on the poor timing, though i suppose i can wait 2 days..(15th here)

suggest separate 2d/3d categories for next contest..

Marley

biliousfrog
04-15-2008, 03:41 PM
Contest image sighting - the impressive Dubai ones are one of the highlights of the latest modo newsletter:
http://www.luxology.com/newsletter/2008/04/images/gallery/dubai.jpg

Luxology should have probably waited a couple more days though because it would be more impressive to say what that imagery won - and it will be surprising indeed if those pieces don't win something. :bowdown:

Hmm....so who gave those images to Luxology, nVidia or the artist? Just wondering about the contest rules for not posting outside of this thread?

....not that I'd find it really funny if he was going to win but got disqualified for breaking the rules on the last day...honest:p

chromecity
04-15-2008, 04:17 PM
Hmm....so who gave those images to Luxology, nVidia or the artist? Just wondering about the contest rules for not posting outside of this thread?
With the exception of the top image, the rest are just thumbnail size and in the discussion thread over at Luxology, they just have links to the contest image threads over here.

alvin-cgi
04-15-2008, 10:12 PM
Hi guys… :cool: Just thought that I need to clear things a bit before it gets out of the way…:eek:

I believe that’s only the monthly news letter from Loxology, it has nothing to do with the competition or result. :cool:

Congrats to whom ever won it!
But any way, thanks for compliments. :beer:

alvin-cgi
04-15-2008, 10:19 PM
With the exception of the top image, the rest are just thumbnail size and in the discussion thread over at Luxology, they just have links to the contest image threads over here.

...and the top image was created for Luxology threads only, isn't part of this competition.:cool:

biliousfrog
04-16-2008, 01:53 PM
thanks for clearing that up, really nice image BTW, great composition

okmijun
04-19-2008, 08:14 AM
Where are the winners?
Today is 19-04 and results for scheduled for 17-04, right?

AdrianLazar
03-06-2009, 02:19 PM
*** delete ***

lechdemian
04-20-2009, 03:39 PM
PLease, can anybody tell me, when they go to put the results?

Thanks.

cienias
04-20-2009, 03:52 PM
PLease, can anybody tell me, when they go to put the results?

Thanks.

the results for this were posted about a year ago...

lechdemian
04-20-2009, 05:45 PM
the results for this were posted about a year ago...

sorry wrong question, My question is about n vidia surreal, please tell me something about that. thanks.

chromecity
04-20-2009, 06:18 PM
Then I think this other thread (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=279&t=702797) is the one you are looking for.