PDA

View Full Version : Notional RTS units WIP thread

Valandar
01-17-2008, 07:01 AM
Posted this elsewhere, may as well start a thread here...

I've decided to work up a set of 'portfolio' pieces based on the idea of Armageddon happening in 2190 or so, with Heaven, Hell, Humans, and Cthuloid 'things from beyond' duking it out for the fate of existance. I'm giving myself a base polycount of up to 1200 tris (including equipment) for the lowest levy troops, ranging up to 6000-8000 for the unique hero types, with troops in-between that scale having an in-between polycount, etcetera.

Having said that, this is the 'base human' mesh I'm using for humans and humanoids at the levy scale. It's currently sitting at 842 tris.

http://valandar3d.fools3d.com/lowpolyshade.jpg

I now come to a major stumbling block - rendering the assets, as I have o engine to put them in (that accepts Normal maps, that is). This was simply rendered in Max, but I think I might try doing a screenshot in XNormal for future versions.

Oh, and the current state of the lowest level infantryman for the humans - the National Guard. Still gotta detail the helmet and tex the rifle completely, not to mention spec map it...

http://valandar3d.fools3d.com/natguard002.jpg

Valandar
01-17-2008, 08:57 PM
Slightly further ahead, now. Began work on the Specular map, as well as the diffuse (only) of the rifle.

Now, these maps are 128x128 for the rifle, and 256x256 for the soldier, mind ya...

http://valandar3d.fools3d.com/natguard004.jpg

blastzone
01-17-2008, 10:52 PM
need to drop the spec map a little more :)

maje3d
01-18-2008, 12:36 AM
Not bad for starting out. I still think you might be able to go a little bit higher in polygon count to have a smoother look. I'm a little surprised that you started with the color map first, I would've thought that it might be easier to use a normal map as kind of a template after doing the sculpting in Zbrush or Mudbox (at least that's how I plan on doing my first mudbox model, maybe there's something I don't know?) :shrug:.

Other than that, the modeling is good, edges have a good clean flow, and the color map is a good wip, maybe just needs some more contrast to make it pop more.

For the spec map, it's a little too intense, though it might be okay for the rifle.

Valandar
01-18-2008, 12:44 AM
Not bad for starting out. I still think you might be able to go a little bit higher in polygon count to have a smoother look. I'm a little surprised that you started with the color map first, I would've thought that it might be easier to use a normal map as kind of a template after doing the sculpting in Zbrush or Mudbox (at least that's how I plan on doing my first mudbox model, maybe there's something I don't know?) :shrug:.

Other than that, the modeling is good, edges have a good clean flow, and the color map is a good wip, maybe just needs some more contrast to make it pop more.

For the spec map, it's a little too intense, though it might be okay for the rifle.

Umm... it's practically black, except on the boots.

Nobody will tell me how to set up a 3DS Max material for specularity, glossiness, etc to replicate how one would look "in game" when rendered. >.<

As for the rifle... well, since the map is 128x128, I'm using a "drawn" Normal Map, with the Nvidia tools.

blastzone
01-18-2008, 03:29 AM
yeh but what part of the spec is it plugged into? you got eccentricity spec rolloff and spec colour...... (maya)

PredatorGSR
01-18-2008, 03:57 AM
Umm... it's practically black, except on the boots.

Nobody will tell me how to set up a 3DS Max material for specularity, glossiness, etc to replicate how one would look "in game" when rendered. >.<

As for the rifle... well, since the map is 128x128, I'm using a "drawn" Normal Map, with the Nvidia tools.

Well it all depends on the engine and shaders. I just started working in the industry, but at work we use 3dfx shaders in maya, and those same shaders are used in the game which uses a proprietary engine. Every engine is going to look different. If you want to get specific examples, you have to be specific about the engine and shaders. For example, if you want to use the hl2 engine, you can use the source engine mod tools to use those shaders. Most engines use unique shaders and the ingame version looks noticably different from the maya version. I would recommend looking into some of the bigger engines, unreal 3, source, that have mod tools available if you want to get ingame results.

For just showcasing stuff, usually a render is just fine though. I used mental ray in maya for mine, with blinn or phong shaders.

Valandar
01-18-2008, 04:44 AM
Thank you, PGSR. I should note I'm using 3DS Max for this.

Meanwhile, this is what it looks like with just the Normal Map on it:

http://valandar3d.fools3d.com/natguardNormal.jpg

And the current state of the texture:

http://valandar3d.fools3d.com/natguard005a.jpg

corizen
01-18-2008, 05:20 AM
cool stuff

Valandar
01-18-2008, 05:27 AM
Oops, forgot a wireframe ofthis guy, didn't I?

http://valandar3d.fools3d.com/natguardWire.jpg

CodeVeroby
01-18-2008, 11:36 AM
I think his hands still need alot of improvments and try to have as less spiky spots on his body as possible !

blastzone
01-18-2008, 12:35 PM
i would reccomend upping the polycount on the arms. just another couple of edgeloops. and i think 128 is a bit extreme your not really gonna lose much by putting it up to 256 but itll make a huge difference on the quality although i dont know what engine tyour working to. and its good of you to try and push yourself. best of luck :)

Valandar
01-21-2008, 05:50 AM
i would reccomend upping the polycount on the arms. just another couple of edgeloops. and i think 128 is a bit extreme your not really gonna lose much by putting it up to 256 but itll make a huge difference on the quality although i dont know what engine tyour working to. and its good of you to try and push yourself. best of luck :)

Maybe on the edgeloops, but where would you put them? Also, the rifle is what has the 128, and the figure has 256. Finally, there IS no engine. It's entirely me basically messing around, and creating a fictional RTS. However, it is possible I might someday take the best of the meshes I make for this and put them in SOMETHING, Lord knows what, though, as I have no job in the industry nor do I have the slightest idea on how to make Mods of any kind, really.

blastzone
01-21-2008, 10:48 AM
lol never fear. its not as daunting as it seems. i would say if your going to up the id put one across at the elbow one next to where the shoulder joint meets the arm and another in the knee. so your deformations go a little better.

CGTalk Moderation
01-21-2008, 10:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.