PDA

View Full Version : Levitas - Wii Character Model WIP

Hiuki
01-16-2008, 07:24 PM
Hello,

I've been working on my 3D portfolio lately in the effort to get a job, after 3 years of
university left me with work that I didn't feel was good enough to show. We'd only
done High poly photorealistic modeling which I neither enjoyed, nor was particularly
good at.

I've done a DS model that I'm planning on posting once it's rigged, but for now I'm
posting up a Wii model I've done because I could really do with a bit of professional
critique and advice :)

I've come to the stage where I'm going to texture it tomorrow, but before I do, It'd
be nice to get a bit of feed back on what I have so far.

Also, if anyone knows the average texture size for a Main character on the Wii, that
would be fantastic :) I've heard 1024 x 1024, but I'd just like to make sure before I
go ahead with it.

I'm also playing about with the ink 'n' paint material to get a lined outline with a properly
painted texture body. I tried this at university, but found out a bit too close to the
deadline that it doesn't work very well with alpha maps, so to prove to myself that
I CAN get a decent effect with it, I'm trying it again with this model.

Any help would be fantastic!

(ok, I tried to add this as an attachment because I hate opening threads and the
pictures not being there, but it wasn't having it)

Model Sheet
http://cstshowjumps.co.uk/hiuki/levitas01.jpg

3D Model
http://cstshowjumps.co.uk/hiuki/levitasWIP03.jpg

CG-Gordon
01-16-2008, 09:10 PM
This looks great! Nice concept sheet and model looks good too, but textures will make a big difference for this one. You can use the Ink shader (maybe with a blend material?), but there are other ways to get the outline. A simple but effective way is to make a copy of your mesh increase the size of the copy using a push modifier, flip the faces and apply a black or darker version of your diffuse maps to it. Make sure back face culling is on. Only problem with this is that it doubles the polycount, but if your just testing the look then its fine.

sk3d
01-17-2008, 06:11 AM
As said above, that method of making an outline works, but you will have to budget for the extra pollies. Also, the knees look a bit too far down on the leg (The thigh looks too long, and is there meant to be no eye sockets?

simba
01-17-2008, 09:19 AM
good work man i love this character good luck

Hiuki
01-17-2008, 12:34 PM
Firstly, thanks for the help guys, I really appretiate it :)

CG-Gordon - Yeah, I have a good idea as t what my textures will look like, and if I do it right, it'll really bring it together. I always wondered about other methods of getting a lined outline. I suspect that something similar was used for Viewtiful Joe and Okami, now you mention it. It's definately something to try out for the future!

sk3d - I think the reason why his knees look further down is because of his tiny shorts, but I'll have a play around with it before I start texturing. On the subject of his eyes, there was two ideas I was playing around with. First, was an animated texture so I can draw on whatever expression I want (which I'd probably do fo an in-game model), or modeling a pair of eyes on a flat plane, with seperate eye brows and such, so I can really animate his expression (which would be good for cut-scenes and whatnot) but its something I really want to play about with so I can get the most out of the style. I think by modeling in eyesockets and eyeballs, I'd be moving too far away from the style I drew him in.

Simba - Thankyou :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2008, 12:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.