PDA

View Full Version : ikSpringSolver Freeze Transforms

Ryokukitsune
01-16-2008, 12:20 PM
I'm having a problem with the ikSpringSolver in setting up a leg. I cant get the transforms to freeze. when i try to freeze them the bones move but the Ik handel stays put and the transform values arent Zero'd and I cant figure out how to fix it. any ideas?

EDIT: now the problem seems to have spread to all IK handels now. I cant seem to freeze the transforms on any Ik handel now. I upgraded to 2k8 and it seems to be my prefs since the problem has fallowed over into a new version.

underearth
01-16-2008, 05:58 PM
i feel there is no need to zero out your ik handle.. just create a null group to zero out ikHandle values... (are you using ikhandle as controller)

ik spring solver is bit buggy.. from past i can say it hasn't been rewritten...
also it has some strange problem with pole vector when you rotate the whole hierarchy more than 180...

Ryokukitsune
01-17-2008, 01:30 AM
in the end no, for test purposes I have been using it for basic movement on my failed experiments thus far. I'm going to incorporated a foot roll into the foot rig so the null with a selection handle will be the selection handle in the future.

I hate leaving floating values it makes me feel like i haven't finished my rig. plus it makes it harder to use in the future if animators need to zero the transforms for some reason. I digress though, thank you for this information, if it seems as though its more common wisdom than i fear then i guess I'll resort to not freezing it or explore other options.

EDIT: comment made before first post edit, obsolete.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2008, 01:30 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.