PDA

View Full Version : Rigging String?

!Chucky!
01-16-2008, 04:50 AM
Hello Everyone,

I am having some trouble trying to find out how to Rig a String. Like for a balloon or Rope or something. I am not sure how to go about rigging this for an Animation...

From what i heard it's fairly simple to do, i just cant seem to find a little tutorial or any already been rigged strings....
I just need to do one...

So if any one can point me in the right direction on how to do it, i would really appreciate it... Thank you all...

- Draz

deatheater4ever
01-16-2008, 05:09 AM
Note ----> I'm using Maya terminology

you can place many joints along the string's length .And then you can use a SplineIK system from the first to the last joint and then you can manipulate the SplineCurve with clusters . Then you can move these clusters around to animate the string.

!Chucky!
01-16-2008, 05:20 AM
deatheater4ever - I have tried to use the joint tool on the string, but nothing happens... So i dont know what im doing wrong in that sense.. because i just tried what you said, but the joints wont go along the sting, or anywhere for that matter....

- Draz

Matt Leishman
01-16-2008, 06:32 AM
It sounds as though you are wanting the joints to move along with the movement of the string. If such is really the case, then you are thinking of things backwards. The joints are used to deform the string, they are not "along for the ride" with the string so to speak, they are driving the motion/deformation of the string.

If you use deatheater4ever's steps, and then make sure you are actually skinning (binding) the string geometry to the joint chain, then when you edit the clusters on the cvs for the generated ikSpline curve, then the joints will then move with the clusters and in turn, via the skinning, deform the string geometry.

I have a sneaking suspiscion that I may have interpreted your last comment wrong and all this will be for naught, but if not, then hopefully this helps some.

PS - you could always just allow the string to act dynamically and let the simulators move the string for you ... just a thought.

BoostAbuse
01-16-2008, 01:20 PM
Simple solution I'd probably use is to just use a splineIK chain that gets bound to the string, duplicate your curve and pass in a wave/sine deformer onto the duplicate curve. Just create a blendshape from your duplicate curve to your splineIK curve which will give you dynamic behaviour with the added benefit of being able to offset, rotate and pose the string while maintaining dynamic behaviour in your pose.

-s

p.s. posting at 2:32am Matt, newborn keeping you up late these days? :p

Matt Leishman
01-16-2008, 03:06 PM
you better believe it Shawn. Last night was a rough one to say the least. Nothing like trying to type a cgtalk response while at the same time trying to bounce to sleep a crying 2 month old.

and ... why is it that 4 times out of 5 you are the one who posts something right after me? you really are stalking me aren't you? creepy.

BoostAbuse
01-16-2008, 06:11 PM
you better believe it Shawn. Last night was a rough one to say the least. Nothing like trying to type a cgtalk response while at the same time trying to bounce to sleep a crying 2 month old.

and ... why is it that 4 times out of 5 you are the one who posts something right after me? you really are stalking me aren't you? creepy.

Do it the canadian way man, dip your finger in a bottle of whiskey and rub it all over his gums. He'll be sprouting stubble by kindergarten.

That wind your wife always complains about isn't wind... it's me breathing heavily against the window :p

refract
01-19-2008, 07:46 AM
Joints for an ik chain on a string? Is this for a real time game? Why not ncloth?
http://area.autodesk.com/index.php/blogs_duncan/blog_detail/a_very_simple_ncloth_flag/

The same can be applied to a string.

I've done this same thing in 3dMax with Stitch, Reactor, ClothSim, and ClothReyes... It should be close to the same.

ok.. i just did that tutorial, and its simple. Even attaching objects. Only one problem is that its calculation simulation needs to be run back. So if I make the flag, and parented flag to the pole, you can move the parent which is the pole, and run play after. The flag will pop to its position and play perfectly. Funny how all these work the same.
.. I'll test some more now, and see it I can get it to work with 2 bound objects on other end.

johnny

refract
01-19-2008, 08:00 AM
omg.. this is sooo easy,..

Make a cylinder (add subdivisions for a string type object)
Make 2 constriants on both ends
Select the cylinder and do ncloth, create ncloth
Select the vertex on top and do an NConstraint/ transform and just parent it to each constraint.

... hmmm.. some trouble with the stretch.. too late now anyways, if anyone wants to add to this go.

j

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2008, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.