PDA

View Full Version : "Properties Display" script in progress, suggestions wanted


Malkalypse
01-16-2008, 01:19 AM
Okay, I don't know if anyone else is going to find this particular script useful as is. I created it mainly for myself, because I think it is something I will use, and generally to teach myself some things and try stuff out. However, I am sure there are parts that other people will find useful.

Right now I am looking for suggestions on how to improve the script. I am looking for input, especially on the following three topics:

1.) How can I make this script more efficient? (I know I have more global variables than I need, but can't figure where to put them locally to prevent errors. Any advice on that would be appreciated.) Are there opportunities for recursive functions I am missing, or other things that will make it run faster?

2.) What features do you think would be useful in this? I already have some ideas of my own, but want to see what kinds of things other people suggest.

3.) When you look at the script, is there anything you find confusing, that you would like to see documented better?

Of course, any and all other suggestions are entirely welcome.

The script can be downloaded here:
http://www.versatileartist.com/code/maxscript/PropertiesDisplay.ms

JHN
01-16-2008, 07:49 AM
I like it! The idea, its a fast modify command panel replacement...

What bothers me most is the UI, it's not a max ui (whatever that means)...

Furthermore I got it to generate errors when going from an objects modifier to a camera, it throws a count error. Also a pointcache modifier throws errors

Haven't looked at the code, don't have time really, but a simple way to get rid of all the functions is to use structs... define 1 struct global and from then you can access all functions. Have a look at the outliner script from pjanssen, imho that's a very well designed script and logic.

You seem to have a big job yet to do on error handling... :)

Goodluck!
-Johan

Malkalypse
01-16-2008, 05:48 PM
Yeah, I haven't done a lot of testing on this yet. Please let me know about any errors you find (this goes for anyone else as well) so I can debug them. Putting the variables into a structure seems like a good idea, and is probably something that will become necessary (or at least adviseable) as I continue to add to the script. I will check out the outliner script you suggested when I get home.

As for the interface, not sure what you mean by "not a Max UI"? Are you talking about the DotNet TreeView? Because I am pretty sure there are some built in Max interfaces that use that or something equivalent :)

One thing I have realized is that I want to try and get it to take up less screen space, probably by switcing to a vertical format and making the UI dockable (not sure how to make something dockable.. help, anyone?)

JHN
01-17-2008, 08:52 AM
I didn't mean the treeview I meant the dynamic view...
Right now it looks like a technical tool, while it's really a replacement modify panel right.

Spot the differences:
http://public.subd.nl/cgtalk/ScreenShot047.jpg

If you can get your tool to mimic the modify panel more, it would instantly (imho) improve workflow and make it follow the max conventions more.. also there's no need to show the object name in the rollout again, I just selected it in the treeview right... maybe checkboxes instead of radio buttons etc.

For docking a dialog lookup : "cui.RegisterDialogBar and cui.UnRegisterDialogBar" in the helpfile.

Even though I like it when thinking about it it's just like using the outliner tool as mentioned with the default modify panel. I don't know if the added value of this type of tool is more then just training yourself in maxscript. Not trying to put you down or anything! Just thinking out loud.

Cheers,
-Johan

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2008, 08:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.