PDA

View Full Version : Crate EXPLOSION - using sprites

MartinRomero
01-15-2008, 10:38 PM
I need to create an explosion using sprites only. What is going to happen is the following, the crate appears in the shot then the explosion occurs.
I have been working with fluid dynamics in Maya and also 3Ds Max and After burn and that's the way I did explosions before but I haven't really work with explosions using sprites.

Does anybody know how many image sequences are needed for an explosion like this? How big should each image sequence be 64, 256, 512? the explosion is for game not film. Could the explosion image be completly procedural meaning just based on a shader?

I know that I need to create a material> then assign the texture to it and then apply that material to the sprites but my main concerns are the ones above.

Thank you guys
MR

LordHines
02-24-2008, 08:57 PM
I need to create an explosion using sprites only. What is going to happen is the following, the crate appears in the shot then the explosion occurs.
I have been working with fluid dynamics in Maya and also 3Ds Max and After burn and that's the way I did explosions before but I haven't really work with explosions using sprites.

Does anybody know how many image sequences are needed for an explosion like this? How big should each image sequence be 64, 256, 512? the explosion is for game not film. Could the explosion image be completly procedural meaning just based on a shader?

I know that I need to create a material> then assign the texture to it and then apply that material to the sprites but my main concerns are the ones above.

Thank you guys
MR

Can you not use a super spray or some kind of spray which emits from the faces of the crate? you could always shoot the sprites out that way. I suppose you could animate an image sequence onto the sprites if you really wanted to, or just use radial gradient maps for the opacity slot, and some noise maps in the diffuse slot for some crazy explosion colors. Also, you'll want to add some wind with turbulance or whatever to the spray so it moves realistically.

That what you mean?

CGTalk Moderation
02-24-2008, 08:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.