PDA

View Full Version : Maya 8.0 parent constraint

andybrun
01-15-2008, 02:27 PM
Hi!

I've rigged a spine using parent constraints (5 separate joints) and for the most part it works just as I'd hope...

But!

When I rotate the character 180 degrees (using the main character control), I keep getting strange flipping! I can't understand it! Is there a problem with parent constraints? Are they inherently glitchy?

Can anyone help?

Really appreciate any responses,

Andy B.

xenoid
01-15-2008, 11:51 PM
Hey trying to understand more of your problem. So you are saying you used parent constraints to constrain each joint to its "parent" joint?

If the joints have different joint orientation, Maya's parent constraining will interpolate the way each joint follows its "parent". Try changing the interpolation type attribute on the parent constraint node to "Shortest" or "No Flip" to see if it works for you.

andybrun
01-16-2008, 07:38 AM
I literally have 5 single joints (most of them parented to nulls) all parent-constrained together. Seemed like the simplest way to get a nice flexible spine with separate chest/hip controls. Worked beautifully too, 'til the flipping began!

Thanks very much for the suggestion - I'll try it tonight. Sounds promising!!

Really appreciate it :)

Andy.

andybrun
01-17-2008, 06:44 AM
Hi Xenoid,

I tried changing to "No Flip" and "Shortest". Neither fixed the flipping completely, which makes me think I haven't been careful enough about matching orientations. However, changing to shortest at LEAST lets me counter-animate to fix the problem, so it's quite a big improvement! Before it seemed like the controls had inverted and nothing I did fixed the torso, so I owe you big time!

Thanks very much,

Andy.

xenoid
01-17-2008, 07:17 AM
Good to hear that it works for you in this instance. :)

Yeah each option will not work completely everytime, but "Shortest" gets me pretty much through most of the time.

It will be still better though to have a look at your scene file to see how we can make it work better. Cheers!

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2008, 07:17 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.