PDA

View Full Version : need some help! plz!

bugo
04-26-2003, 03:44 AM
Hi everyone! :hmm:
Well now im sad coz I was testing this tutorial (http://www.highend3d.com/maya/tutorials/realtimechar1/part2.3d), it was beeing perfect then in a time, buuum... error!

I made the hole skeleton and what he asked me to do, then when i need to write a script it hangs, the script dont work:

L_ankleIK.twist = -CntrlLankle.rotateY;
// Error: L_ankleIK.twist = -CntrlLankle.rotateY; //
// Error: Invalid use of Maya object "CntrlLankle.rotateY". //

Everything is ok, i saw the hypergraph, the names of the joints, IKs , the connections and everything and nothing to search about this, can anyone help me? :shrug:

wgreenlee1
04-26-2003, 05:00 AM
L_ankleIK.twist = -> - <-CntrlLankle.rotateY;

Whats that minus symbol in front of CntrlLankle.rotateY;?
Thats isnt whats causeing it is it?

bugo
04-27-2003, 03:27 AM
well, its not that, plz can anyone help me?
have anyone tried this tutorial?

bugo
04-27-2003, 06:44 PM
pleeeeeeasseeeee! ;)

dmcgrath
04-27-2003, 11:22 PM
If that minus sign isn't the problem then what is it for?

I don't even know what the operation is supposed to do.

Are you trying to connect the attributes?

Just look at what the error is telling you. Why does it tell you to put a minus sign in front of CntrlLankle.rotateY?

bugo
04-28-2003, 09:52 PM
well, i really dont know, im just doing what the tutorial said!
thx for the post :beer:

kmp3d
04-28-2003, 10:31 PM
Ok I looked at that tutorial and saw the usage of that script. I don't know how you have your rig set up but heres a few reasons that the script may be not working. First your controls must have the exact names as specified in the script.

if your IK for your left ankle is not named L_ankleIK, the script will not work, same thing for the control object CntrlLankle

I'm not totally sure how the rig is set up but usually when you have the rotation of an object driving the twist of an Ik the minus sign is not used, but I haven't done this tutorial so I'm not sure.

dmcgrath
04-28-2003, 11:12 PM
I did look at the tutorial. I also have the entire thing spelled out correctly, and am still getting the same result as bugo. It's really not working as expected.

Okay, the only reason I can figure for the minus sign is this:

If I use connectAttr to attatch these two things, it works. :bounce:

connectAttr CntrlLankle.rotateY L_ankleIK.twist;

But it rotates in opposite directions (so it doesn't really work). :shrug:

so th minus sign is supposed to make the rotate the connection in a reverse fashion.
But it doesn't work for me either. Oh, well. You could always try another way to connect them. Or use a different foot setup.:)

bugo
05-02-2003, 04:41 AM
thank you guys, i was expeccting that this is a script error, well, how can i connect this in other form and rotate the leg with the torus, just like the tutorial said?

If this is not the way i will be here waiting for another tutorial, well, i m not any good about this rigging character stuff..heheh

THX again! :thumbsup:

God bless!

dmcgrath
05-02-2003, 05:14 PM
You know, I really like this other leg design, it's a bit more complex and you may have to do it a couple times, but it might end up being something you like.

http://www.jawa9000.com/technical/foot-roll/foot-roll.htm

Sorry it took so long to help you on this one

This command goes into the expression editor.
Open up the editor, then select something that is easy to remember. What I did was selected the IK handle and it's twist attribute (because that is what you are going to affect).
And typed in;
L_ankleIK.twist = -(CntrlLankle.rotateY);

You don't need the brackets but I always like to put them on the outised like that.
This will make your leg attribute turn the correct way.

bugo
05-02-2003, 09:41 PM
dude you are the BEST!!!! thank YOU!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

it worked, now the leg is rotating...
when I rotate his ctntrlAnkle torus the knee turn around with the leg, but i dont know, its something strange... when my foot goes to -Y, the knee goes inside the leg, when +y, the knee goes outside the leg, is that right?

dmcgrath
05-03-2003, 01:33 AM
It sounds like you forgot to make the pole vector. Or you haven't grouped the pole vector under the toorus.

bugo
05-04-2003, 06:53 AM
its hard to understand english some times, every tutorial i search is in english, some times i forget little things, but in the other side im learning this language... well, thx again dude!!! :applause:

dmcgrath
05-04-2003, 06:25 PM
Too bad I dont know Portugese, I actually think that would be nice.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.