PDA

View Full Version : maxwell glas rendering

Ingrimm
01-15-2008, 11:23 AM
hi there, i got some problems rendering glas in maxwell. i'm using cinemawell 1.6 and every time i render a still with any type of glas it looks like there is some noise inside...

what am i doing wrong?

thx

mike

AdamT
01-15-2008, 02:42 PM
You're probably not doing anything wrong -- glass just takes a long time to clear up in Maxwell (or any path tracer).

Ingrimm
01-15-2008, 03:33 PM
jep, thats what i've come to, by now. I rendered on my laptop, an 1,5 centrino, what a mess, actually the 3rd pass did take over 10 minutes to render. I figured out that the longer i render the better gets the glass... but i'm a bit dissappointed about how maxwell renders... especially on slower cpu's...

thanks anyways.

Mike

castroman
01-15-2008, 03:52 PM
glass on a 1.5 centrino, we are talking days not minutes to get noisefree

iamjens
01-15-2008, 07:23 PM
if you need a fast glass material with no refraction, try to use a ags material.

Ingrimm
01-16-2008, 07:12 AM
thanks guys, i'll give it a try.

Does anyone know about maxwell problems considering vista 64? I installed maxwell on my PC at home and every time i try to render a pic via c4d plugin, Cinema 4d crashs...

I've read that maxwell loses dual core compatibility while used on vista 64, has anyone experience with that?

If it turns out true, i would reinstall vista 32 anyway, but it would be fine if someone knows a workaround.

thanks

mike

mmhnemo
01-16-2008, 12:51 PM
I know of no such limitations but I have not tried it (or anything else) on Vista yet.Maxwell is actually about 10% faster on 64bit systems and supports as many cpus as your license permits.

And on a 1.5 GHz Centrino you will have to wait alot for glass to clear. Depending on the scene i get clear glass from SL 6 - 14 here so you get an idea.

As a good entry level workstation you should aim for an 8 core Xeon model or something in this range - this makes working with maxwell a breeze.

regards

Ingrimm
01-16-2008, 01:10 PM
hmm, would be a pain if i have to stay in jail while my pc is waiting at home with a brand new 8core setup cause i had to rob a bank for the money... :-)

nevermind, later ill try a clean c4d and maxwell install, along with new cpu drivers... wish me luck :-)

This morning i figured out that maxwell can stop and resume a render, i think my laptop hates me cause it has to render since last night :-).

castroman
01-16-2008, 01:53 PM
do you have any extra machines you can install maxwell on, if you have some at work that can be setup to render during night. I haven't tried this with maxwell but I do this with mental ray and the speed increase is phenomenal. just amazing to look at those buckets chase around the screen, brings tears to a geek like myself. :)

Ingrimm
01-16-2008, 05:33 PM
damn, you're right :-) i havn't used my vpn opportunity yet. so i can setup a render client for network rendering at work :-) thanks buddy.

You guys are absolutly stunning, I've been in several different forums lately and the amount on helpful responses here is simply amazing, thanks to all of you.

castroman
01-16-2008, 08:30 PM
let me know if you get to work over vpn, haven't tried that option before. I do however use log me in free to remote control my work pc so I can work from home and access a range of computers at work.

at home I have 7 machines that I have set up for testing purposes. had some trouble with the router but once I opened up the ports and turned off the firewalls on the computers it worked just fine. also I had to make sure the maps/images was on a a shared drive that all computers could find.

one thing is for certain, once you get network rendering to work, you will never go back.

good luck

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2008, 08:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.