PDA

View Full Version : Environment: Barn

RedThunder
01-15-2008, 11:11 AM
Hey Everyone.
Tris Budgetted: 600
Tris used: 550
Project: Volenteer work for online mmo Planeshift.
Tool: Max 9

Here is the Render:
http://www.geocities.com/goodbye_man/extra/barn_fin.jpg

Here is my Uv Map:
http://www.geocities.com/goodbye_man/extra/barn_txtmap2a.jpg

I'm going to start texturing it soon, and I hope to get some feed back on my textures. They always seem to be a little blurry, not as crisp, and lots of details don't show up unlike some of the amazing stuff you guys produce. Oh yeah, I wouldn't mind a comment on my uv map, I believe I am doing it right.

NikLG
01-15-2008, 12:51 PM
One thing about your UV map...
I am not sure where you are going to see it from ( the object ) most of the time, but assuminig it's from ground level ( which could be wrong ) I would re-arrange it a bit. The size of the mao that you have allocated from the front of the building is very small compared to the roof. You will get an obvious detail difference when you are looking at it.
I would try and even out the size of teh areas that you are going to use to make the texels consistent across the model ( so you don't get pixellated areas sitting next to relatively high detail areas ). Best thing to do initially is to use a checkerboard texture and then adjsut your UVs so that the squares are of a more or less consistent size across the whole model ( you can also see if there are going to be any obvious texure distortions this way as well ).
You'll probably find that some areas need very little area of the diffuse texture too, so you can adjust that stuff after your initial UV layout.

duke
01-16-2008, 01:30 AM
It looks about even to me - the one side of the roof is roughly equal to the side it joins onto the facade. Wouldn't you alter it so the roof was smaller though? If you are at ground level, the roof would be 2 or 3 times as far away from your eyes so you could get away with shrinking those islands by 50%.

RedThunder
01-16-2008, 02:30 PM
NikLG:
I do use the checkerboard texture (15x15 sqaure) and they are all a consistent size across the whole model. But I never thought about making the areas that the player will see upclose bigger, and the areas that won't be seen not as big like my roof which takes up alot of space.

Duke:
Thanks for the advice, I never thought about changing the sizes of things. What I was taught in school was to keep the checkerboard the same throughout the entire model. But I'm going to attempt what you and NikLG have suggested.

I was also thinking, should I do the interior on its on page, and the exterior on its own page? Because this map contains interior and exterior.

Thanks for all the help guys.

RedThunder
01-16-2008, 05:41 PM
I was just talking to a friend of mine about texturing and he was saying something about taking the uvmap that is at 1024x1024 and editing the size of it in photoshop to 2048x2048 then do all your art at the bigger scale. When you are finished he said to shrink it back down to 1024x1024 and your textures should keep all the crisp details that you worked on.

Now I am wondering if there is any truth to that at all?

ScudzAlmighty
01-17-2008, 06:18 AM
Hey Red,
that's a question i'd really like an answer to as well, as far as i know though, changing the size of your uv map isn't going to affect how your colour map scales, cause that's starting at a higher res already right? maybe Bobo is lurking around here somewhere and can share his secrets?

as far as the barn goes, i think it's a good start, but i don't get a real "barn" feeling from it, it feels mor like a shortened Long House. is it based of a concept?

Scudz

TheNeverman
01-17-2008, 07:09 PM
It's a myth...
A pixel is a pixel... Advocates of that method claim you can get 'sub-pixel detail', which simply isn't possible.

Now in print, it's a different matter, and always adviseable to work at twice the rez of your output...

I was just talking to a friend of mine about texturing and he was saying something about taking the uvmap that is at 1024x1024 and editing the size of it in photoshop to 2048x2048 then do all your art at the bigger scale. When you are finished he said to shrink it back down to 1024x1024 and your textures should keep all the crisp details that you worked on.

Now I am wondering if there is any truth to that at all?

gsokol
01-17-2008, 11:18 PM
It's a myth...
A pixel is a pixel... Advocates of that method claim you can get 'sub-pixel detail', which simply isn't possible.

Now in print, it's a different matter, and always adviseable to work at twice the rez of your output...

That is a debated topic. Some people do that and some people don't. Yes a pixel is a pixel, but painting a texture pixel by pixel for small details can be tedious sometimes where doubling the resolution will allow you more control in those minute areas. Try doing it both ways and see for yourself what you think. It could be helpful or you might not like it.

PredatorGSR
01-18-2008, 02:29 AM
Yea double size quality benefits are a myth. Its a tradeoff.

Double size

Pros: You have a higher res texture if you need one for cutscenes or other situations.

Cons: When you downsize the texture, it will average/blur the pixels and you won't get sharp lines. You may waste time creating or tweaking details that won't show up in the lower res map. You'll need more resources when creating a higher res texture, which may or may not be an issue depending on your comp specs.

True sizePros: You won't waste time painting in details that won't show up, less comp resources required, you can paint in sharp lines and details that won't be blurred during a downsize.

Cons: You won't have a higher res texture if you need one for a cutscene.

Overall the difference isn't huge. If you prefer one way or the other it won't make that much of a difference. Personally I usually paint in true res unless I know a bigger size might be needed because it is faster both artistically and because I use a lot of layers and blending modes, so that that with 2 gigs of ram its a bit slower at sizes over 2048. Just do it the way you feel comfortable with.

Here is a good article by Ben Mathis on his opinion (and where I got mine).

http://www.poopinmymouth.com/tutorial/resize.htm

NikLG
01-18-2008, 08:32 AM
I use both methods. It depends what I am working on. And how I feel at then time ( sometimes... :) )
I think that generally it is a good idea to know how much screen area an object is going to take up ( in game, or per shot if an animation ) then you can judge how large or small a texture you need to use. There's no point making a 2048* texture for an object that will only be 10 texels wide on the screen, just as there is little point in using a 128* texture for something that a player / camera gets close enough to to fill the screen. Same thing goes for areas of your map, as I mentioned earlier.

That's the way I have always worked anyway....

itsallgoode9
01-20-2008, 08:24 AM
my opinon on the downsize method: If your final size is 1024 and you're resizing down from 2048, you won't notice much of a difference at all compared to if you made the textures at 1024 originally. If you work at 1024 and shrink down to 512, then you will notice more of a difference.

Regardless of this debate, the textures for your barn probally shouldn't factor in to this. Unless you need to do a 1 to 1 texture map with a single material, you would have a few textues (looking at it, i would estimate 3-5) that tile.

The downsizing issue factors in alot more when it's a single texture map as compared to different tiling textures.

RedThunder
01-24-2008, 04:06 PM
Hey to everyone who has posted recently on this discussion.
I sorta took a break away from this, and i've read over everyones comments twice, and I think I will resize the areas the player will be able to come into contact with. I think I will just stick with one rez size and do all my textures on that one size... thanks for that link as well, it really help make some sense on all of this. This will be textured soon.... and a new uvmap as well... Then its on to another project.

RedThunder
01-27-2008, 06:33 PM
Hey Everyone who has helped me out on my texture artist journey. Today I said to myself I should finish this barn, and try to do what everyone was suggesting so I did. I kinda was in a slump after not getting a job... but it doesn't matter I've bounced back. So here is the newer uvw map, here is my texture sheet (so far) and here is a picture of my textured model as well. I know I have a few areas I need to fix like the wood around my door and portal window, and I haven't quite figured out how I am going to achieve the thatch roof look... (If anyone has a good idea how to make it from scratch I would love that) Please comment, and critique.
http://www.geocities.com/goodbye_man/extra/The_Barn.jpghttp://www.geocities.com/goodbye_man/extra/textures.jpghttp://www.geocities.com/goodbye_man/extra/uvwmap.jpg

MatthewNovak
01-29-2008, 03:53 PM
Texturing Helps out alot!, but I think it would look better with a tiled roof rather than those stretched lines. Keep up the good work = )

CGTalk Moderation
01-29-2008, 03:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.