PDA

View Full Version : Problem with displaying Particles

Ahnab
01-15-2008, 08:36 AM
Hi all! Need your help desparately! I just setup my new PC and installed Combustion. Its working fine except I cant see any particles in the viewport, even though they display just fine in the Particle Preview window. The below pic is a typical example. The right viewport is displaying my composite just fine, but the left viewport (which is supposed to display the highlighted Particles operator) is completely blank. Note that the Particle Preview window is working just fine. This problem is not restricted to this particular comp. Even when I create a new Perticles project I get greeted by a blank viewport. I'm using an Intel 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo, 3 GB RAM and a 512 MB ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT. Really need your help guys, not being able to work in C* is bloody frustrating!

PiXeL_MoNKeY
01-15-2008, 04:53 PM
From what I can see in the image you haven't added any particles to the operator, unless you have your Workspace Panel set to Show Operators, and not ...and Objects. I am also, not seeing the display of the left viewport information.
1) try deleting/renaming the host.ini for Combustion.
2) try new video drivers.
3) Post a sample file displaying the issue.

-Eric

nanogirl
02-17-2008, 01:52 AM
Here is what happens, when you first put on the particles operator it shows up like you see it there in your picture, above your composite, but it doesn't have an actual particle yet. And you will see the preview window too (you can see the preview window if you have a particle in your scene or not). When you have the particle in the preview window that you are sure you want to be added, make sure you have the particles layer highlighted and selected (with the square by it), when you do this, your toolbar window items should change. Now go to your "toolbar" window and pick a point, or line or whatever emitter you want and click (if you pick point) in your viewport where you want the particle to be (drag or draw if you pick a different type of emitter). This is how you put it in! If you don't do this step - you will only be looking at the preview in a sort of window shopping mode. You have to add your emitter to your viewport for it to be in you scene/composite.
Also, after this point if you want to modify the particles you chose, you won't ever see it layered in your workspace window in the way that you see your other image/footage layers, you have to go to your timeline tab, and click the arrow by your particle layer in here to see the parts, now when you highlight a layer underneath your particles arrow you can now go back to your particle control tab to effect it. Hope this helps. I remember when I first started using Combustion, it takes a bit to get the hang of it.

CGTalk Moderation
02-17-2008, 01:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.