PDA

View Full Version : I must be making this harder than it is...

Jimbo65
01-15-2008, 04:53 AM
In my last thread I was working on putting one particle per vertex on an animated Poly plane. I am using a grouped instanced geometry as the object.

The big problem I have with my render is that some vertices have one particle others have ten. and they inter-penetrate and flicker in render.

I was trying to populate the mesh with one particle per vertex - but that is not working so well... and it is too many - I like the render I have now.

I just need to delete those particles that occupy the same space as others on the mesh - and then I would be set - with one particle per random vertex. (I need to kill the 9 when there are ten.)

sounds easy - I am not sure why position object would even place ten on a single vertex - that seems like a flaw.

Any ideas would be appreciated - without spending the money on Box3 - I do want it - just cannot do it for this project.

J.

grury
01-15-2008, 07:51 AM
It seems that u are creating more particles than the vertex u have on your mesh. If your mesh has 100 vertex and you creating 1000 particles, then It will have to put 10 particles per vertex. Unless I'm not understanding what the problem is.

Jimbo65
01-15-2008, 11:37 AM
The mesh has 10,200 verts...

The Birth I am using has 1200 Particles - and it still bunches them in enough places to create the popping in the render -

I built a simple scene with a plane with 40 verts - and 20 particles positioned on it at Vertex - and it still places some particles on the same points - not 20 particles on 20 of the 40 verts. (There are 12 particles on the sruface in render - some with one and some with 2 and 3 per vertex.)

??

grury
01-15-2008, 11:57 AM
Would this help?:

http://www.orbaz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=342

Jimbo65
01-15-2008, 01:56 PM
Nope - been there and done that - the script works but does not move the particles along with the animated surface - that and 10,200 particles is too many - I tried it.

Ideally I want to delete the particles that are overlapping - I am working on some delete events to see if I can pass out those particles that occupy the same space as others and delete those.

J.

charleyc
01-15-2008, 05:08 PM
Try turning on Seperation in the Position Object Op and set its threshold to the highest distance possible that is less than the closest distance between any two veticies that will recieve particles. Generally this will force a single particle per vertex. To go beyond that you need to use either a Script Op or Box3.

Jimbo65
01-15-2008, 05:25 PM
That is what I ended up doing - for now...

looks like Box3 is a Needed addition to Pflow - I usually can work out what I want without add ons - but what you are getting in that box is vital.

J.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2008, 05:25 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.