PDA

View Full Version : Messiah vs Motion Builder for LightWave

allseeingi
04-26-2003, 12:11 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm completely new to character animation and my next project calls for me to learn it (keyframe animation). I will be using LightWave 7.5 and am trying decide which out of Messiah and Motion Builder to start using. I would like to know what the advantages and disadvantages of each within LightWave and what are the strengths and weaknesses of each. As I understand it Messiah is more geared towards LightWave but this deal with Motion Builder and the learning program on 3DBuzz has got me very interested. Please help!

Thanks,

Matthew

sinbad
05-01-2003, 09:24 AM
I would go with motionbuilder. As far as I know, in Messiah you have to animate everything with bones as it doesnt do morph targets, and I'm not sure if it allows you to use weight maps, but I might be wrong, (I have a friend using the older version). I have just purchased Mb and it has pretty much everything, and the control rig is very forgiving. can messiah RIG YOUR CHARACTER FOR YOU? I think not. The control rig in Mb is very very nice.

paul

WesComan
05-01-2003, 10:45 AM
Messiah has got morphs, they've been in there since the very first release and it has an effector based weight mapping system which works really nicely, you can easily swap your geometry and the weights in most cases won't need redoing. Can Messiah automatically rig your character? Well no, but you can save out rigs or parts of rigs that you can apply to other characters. Can Motion Builder auto rig a 3 headed dragon, or a talking shopping trolley, or a walking mobile phone?...all characters we've done over the past year or so. Don't get me wrong though, I haven't used MB myself but there's a lot of buzz around it, it sounds like there's some cool stuff in there. Just get hold of the demo's and give them both a go...and anyway, whichever you choose I'm sure they will be nicer to use for char anim than, ahem, a certain other package you mentioned ;)

sinbad
05-01-2003, 12:18 PM
Yeah obviously Mb doesnt rig every character for you, but it does a pretty good biped as long as all of the bones are named correctly... ...and I stand corrected on Messiah.

I also use Lightwave, but I wont be using it for character animation anymore...

paul

Hugh
05-01-2003, 10:35 PM
Also, they are going to be implementing proper quadruped support in an upcoming release (maybe 4.5 in July, not sure) - currently quads can be done, but they are a bit of a hack (no floor contact for front legs, etc)

allseeingi
05-02-2003, 03:11 AM
Thank you all very much. This is exactly the kind of thing I needed to know. I'll probably need quadropeds and bipeds for the project so perhaps a mixture of both. Either way, I'll take your advice WesComen and try the demo's but it sounds like Messiah might be more what I'm looking for.

PS. WesComen - Do you work for Framestore?

JoeCosman
05-02-2003, 05:21 AM
good news. Messiah patches into Maya 4.5, too... :-)

-Joe

WesComan
05-02-2003, 10:04 AM
allseeingi, I work for Passion Pictures.

:)

sinbad
05-03-2003, 11:59 AM
hi WesComan, you may have met my friend John Lee, I think he did some work experience at Passion. I know he made some friends there (he's always e-mailing people - persuasive bugger)
John and I are going to 3d festival next week.. anyone from passion going?

paul

WesComan
05-06-2003, 10:41 AM
Hehe...yeah I know John. Actually I think most of the industry has heard of John by now, I'm sure he would agree with me that he's not exactly the shyest chap around ;-) hehe...just joking John :-)

Unfortunately I don't think anyone from Passion is going to 3d Festival this year (well, none of us animatory type people, one or two producers may be going, I'm not sure). A shame really, there's some great sessions there, I would love to go to the Weta day, could learn a lot. Anyways, have a great trip guys :-)

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.