PDA

View Full Version : 2d painting from a 3d model?

Falcor
01-14-2008, 06:43 PM
Hello all, I'm new to the site and am hoping to begin practicing with some of the tutorials here.

But I'm afraid I haven't done very much outside of pencil to paper, and I've become really interested in 3d modeling. What I wonder though, is can you build your own 3d model (say, of a human character) in Maya, then export it to a program like Corel Painter for use in digital painting? I realize it will be 2d at that point, I just really like the idea of building a character in that way. Or perhaps does Maya itself have painting options that can match what you can do with a painter program? In general is it common practice to make 2d art from a 3d model?

Thanks!

Mr. D
01-14-2008, 11:05 PM
Hello

3d character into 2d paint program, well mostly not. what you would normally do is render out your 3d model as a 2d image inside your 3d program. then take it into a 2d program for touching up or combining with other images.

Mr. D

Falcor
01-15-2008, 05:46 AM
Thanks for your reply! Yeah sorry I didn't mean to imply taking a 3d model into a 2d program, but rather a still shot of it, or a render. Most of the time when I see digital paintings, its done with simple lineart, where the painter can then paint under their ink layer, so I just wasn't sure if this was a viable technique for creating artwork or not.

Dose206
01-23-2008, 08:13 PM
As far as I understand it, this is a relatively common practice. Sometimes it's easier to get an effect by just painting it in after the model has been rendered than it is to make the effect in your 3d program of choice. Good luck and hope to see what you are able to create with it!

gnomadix
01-25-2008, 05:56 PM
I've been working for a client using dxf/dwg files of a 3D torus

dwg and dxf files will open as flat vector representations in illustrator and they look pretty cool!

give it a try!

Gnomadix

CGTalk Moderation
01-25-2008, 05:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.