PDA

View Full Version : Demo Reel, Portfolio WIP

SirReality
01-14-2008, 05:34 PM
Hi, everyone!

It seems like forever since I last posted, but I've been busy with school and work.

I'm close to graduation, however, and I am putting together my demo reel and portfolio site. Currently the site and reel can be found here:

http://www.adastrumguild.com/jhz/

If you have the time please take a look at it. Any comments or suggestions are welcome!

Thank you,
SirReality

mistasam02
01-14-2008, 07:28 PM
Direct Link:
http://www.adastrumguild.com/jhz/movies/demo2007_mov.php

Cool website, but I'd put a button to your Reel directly, rather than having potential employers search through "Movies".. just to make it easier to find. Front page that thing!

Next, 65mb is huge. Keep your reel size down under 20mb, preferably closer to 10mb.

About the reel.. it needs a lot of work. Actually it needs a ton of work. I think the best stuff on there is your flash animation. The cg was all extremely basic, and animation in general was bad. The first shot with the fairy was really poppy.. the tron thing had horrible keying, and the bikes could have been rendered nicer. I'd say if you want to make an animation reel, concentrate more on animation than compositing. It's good to show that you've done it, but only if it benefits or accents your animation. The monster shots were too dark to really see what was going on, and the visible animation needed work too. Hate to say it man, but you have a long way to go! Try to focus more on one aspect (animation/modeling/compositing) than try to do everything. Good luck, keep it up!

lime324
01-15-2008, 12:44 PM
After waiting for about 10 minutes, I finally manage to watch your reel.
Well, to be honest, It's really need a lot of things to polish.
It's not that bad, I know you are talented artist, but you have to made up your mind about what career do you want to pursuit. you can, of course, do all that stuff from model to animate to light etc. but it's only made you an ordinary, if not mediocre, not as a person but in your career.
Think of it like a pyramid or a triangle, the broader your focus, the lower you'll get, but the narrower it is, the higher you get.

Well that's all can I say, and it's pure my opinion.. :)

Good luck man!

SirReality
01-15-2008, 03:57 PM
Thank you for your comments and looking at my site, guys.

@Mistasam: putting a clear link to the reel on the front page is a great idea, and I will do that immediately. I will also work on dropping the file size in addition to taking another pass at my material. Regarding the fairy (probably the most important piece on there for what I want to do), you said it was 'poppy'. Are you refering to the animation on the fairy? And, I hate to take up more of your time, but do you know if it still seems poppy if you watch it from a downloaded file? Thank you.

@Lime: your triangle example is great, I completely understand what you mean. There are a lot of personal projects I would love to do, but for one person to do everything (and do it well) it would take years. My interest is in animation, but for these school projects I was also required to do the modeling and rigging which took precious time away from animating.

mistasam02
01-15-2008, 05:20 PM
Well, the camera in the fairy shot is smooth, except for when it stops abrubtly at the mushrooms. The "poppy" stuff I was referring to was the fairy's limbs. If she's flyin around, she needs to be way more fluid in motion. Try to mimic the classic tinkerbell style where she flies to a position in an arc, and there's follow-through when she stops. For the creature stuff, just make sure that if you want to show off animation skills, make sure people can see the animation. I'm not trying to be harsh about it, but your reel isn't ready yet. :D Keep at it!

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2008, 05:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.