PDA

View Full Version : problem importing high res geom into maya

Whammybar
01-13-2008, 11:18 PM
I have made geometry in zbrush that is about 4 mil polys, when i export it as an obj and import it, maya completey crashes, is there a way to set something that will let maya import larger meshes. I cant really break it up into pieces very well because it is one solid mesh.

DaddyMack
01-14-2008, 12:24 AM
4 million is a lotta polys... You reaaly need a great machine with loads of ram to handle that... You would be better off using the lower subdiv (1 mill even) and looking into the displacement/ bump or normal mapping process

Hope that helps

Whammybar
01-14-2008, 01:30 AM
well im bringing this into maya in order to normal map. The amount of detail im creating requires me to have level 7 divisions which is 4 milion polys. I cant cut the mesh and do different pieces seperately because it wont flow. Not sure what i can do.

hakanpersson
01-14-2008, 10:31 AM
If you use *.ma, maya binary files is a good idea with that kind of large scenes. But as already mentioned, you will almost certainly never be able to handle that kind of information.

But dont forget that maya can take both geometry and normal/bumpmap into account when it samples surface.
As daddymack says, import a geometry you computer can handle easily. Guess that would be level 5 at most. Then you apply a bumpmap/displacement generated from level 5 in zbrush and apply it. Tweak/render to make sure its strenght is appropriate.
"Include material" I think its called in the sampling dialogue, which will include the applied textures in the sampling.

Normalmap works aswell, but the result is harder to control since I think it takes the bumpstrenght into account, and mental ray/software ofc does not when it renders, so the result cant be unexpected.

There are also standalone apps for situations like these. Nvidia Melody for one. But I dont think it can handle much more than Maya can.

Monodrobe
02-02-2008, 04:50 AM
even with a solid mesh you can slice and dice it into pieces to divide it up, the polys are all identical so they ll line up perfectly. Its by no means pleasent and your mesh will some what resemble a patch quilt, but at least the surface data will be there. Im having the same issues with importing into max. its like I ve hit a 100 thousand poly ceiling in terms of importing .obj files. Its not the overall polies that are an issue its the amount you can bring in at once. If any one has better solutions Im all ears, its hardly my favourite alternative. But if you want that resolution mesh this is the way to go so far

Whammybar
02-02-2008, 08:03 AM
well i just got 3.1 so now with zmapper it doesnt really need to be normal mapped in a base 3d program like max or maya

rybeck
02-02-2008, 04:16 PM
Im having the same issues with importing into max. its like I ve hit a 100 thousand poly ceiling in terms of importing .obj files. Its not the overall polies that are an issue its the amount you can bring in at once. If any one has better solutions Im all ears, its hardly my favourite alternative. But if you want that resolution mesh this is the way to go so far

It all depends on your system spec, but I'd 2nd on Im/Export as pieces in order to avoid 3d apps crash..
I use max, and got 'polygon cruncher' (mootools) that is the optimization tool for highpoly Im/Export process. Works like charm, and it was one of satisfying investments.
You may find how cg artist use it in real production line from "character modeling 2" (ballistic publisher), which was great reference as well.

Rybeck

Monodrobe
02-03-2008, 01:06 AM
Poly cruncher sounds like a good idea, just want to be clear on its process a bit though. If its the same tool I remember from a few years ago ( looking at the site it jogged my memory ) its a poly reducing tool, but if you can t load up the initail mesh into max you cant reduce it can you?

On the flip side, I dont really like the zmapper work flow, I find it very linear with no way to go back to re organizer your UV layouts, or tweak the LP mesh or have the most optimized LP mesh you could use to take advantage of the normal maps

rybeck
02-03-2008, 04:34 PM
... but if you can t load up the initail mesh into max you cant reduce it can you?

On the flip side, I dont really like the zmapper work flow, I find it very linear with no way to go back to re organizer your UV layouts, or tweak the LP mesh or have the most optimized LP mesh you could use to take advantage of the normal maps

I doubt Polygon Cruncher can used under command line windows (which is not required to open neither the apps nor obj), but you can divide chunck that can be handled by your computer.
Normal map generated via Zmapper, AFAIK, would be considered as mere final; you can (should) go back to external UV editor to tweak and import back to ZB, and repeat the Zmapper process again.. Lack of UV editability is apprent, but I rather enjoy simple procedure of Zmapper.

CGTalk Moderation
02-03-2008, 04:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.