PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions: Storage array for D1 editing?

SMH
04-25-2003, 09:37 PM
Hi,

I'm looking for a decent RAID array for D1 broadcast video editing. You can go here for an example:

www.medea.com

I'm also looking at Apple's XServe RAID...but I wonder if it works with my DP 800Mhz "Quicksilver" G4 Mac...Apple's site did not specify.

The array will probably be used with this broadcast VIVO card on either a PC or Mac:

http://www.decklink.com/productsdeckpro.asp

Your thoughts and suggestions are welcome on all the products above.

Many Thanks,

danylyon
04-26-2003, 02:04 PM
wow.. that decklink card seems like one hell of a good card. I have only experience with a Voodoo card on a Mac. Unfortunatly the Voodoo doesn't have on board sound and no Analog out.. which both sucks quite a bit.

If I were you I'd keep looking for people with experience with this card.
These video cards can give a lot of troubles sometimes.
And you might want a special computer which you ONLY use for digitising.. Like I have the Voodoo on a Mac G4 but work (3D / Compositing etc) on a PC.
Generally putting these kind of cards in a self made assembled PC wouldn't be advisible.

as for the medea. We have a very old Medea Array at work.. (it's prolly from around 1990).. and it still works like a charm :)

SMH
04-26-2003, 04:13 PM
Yes the Decklink looks like a fantastic card...and the price is outstanding too. I sadly don't have any actual experience with Decklink products. I think I'll post a dedicated thread on the subject.

Medea's products have a rock solid reputation, and I've never spoken to someone you who sees otherwise. But it's always good to ask around for opinions before you buy something worth $6k+

If I were you I'd keep looking for people with experience with this card.
These video cards can give a lot of troubles sometimes.

Can you please share some of your experiences with DigitalVodoo's card?

danylyon
04-26-2003, 08:04 PM
Yes the Decklink looks like a fantastic card...and the price is outstanding too.

Well.. that's something that makes me wonder actually. I think we payed over 7000$ for the voodoo card. But that's a few years ago anyway.. so things might have changed?!

I remember our Tech Guy saying.. a video card under 7000$ won't work. (he especially meant all those consumer cards). He prolly doesn't now decklink. ;)

I'll email him on monday and ask, what he thinks about the decklink. (I'm wondering myself actually)

As for experience with the voodoo.. it runs on a quite new G4 under Mac OS 9. The Raid is some internal one (don't now the specs, sorry). It seems perfectly stable (well as far as you can call OS 9 stable). I haven't used it that much either though and I didn't install it too. Unfortunatly the lack of onboard Audio makes it completly worthless for Mastering.. and because of the lack of Analog out's you can't really work with it. I use it just for digitising.

I've been looking at that decklink card a bit more. What I've missed on that page was the minimum requirements for Windows. And after some googling.. I think the windows version is pretty new.

You might want to look at theDecklink Cow Forum (http://www.creativecow.net/index.php?forumid=124).

You'll be using it on a Mac.. so I guess you'll be more on the safe side anyway.

good luck..

SMH
04-28-2003, 07:26 PM
I want to thank your for this nice reply. I didn't know of CC's Decklink forum, so it was kind of you to point it out. I'll be asking some questions over there. I'm also interested in your tech's view on the Decklink, if it's ok to share it.

Thanks again.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.