PDA

View Full Version : Looking For New Members For Small Studio

methodz
01-13-2008, 03:39 AM
Hey guys, My partner and my self are looking to pick up a couple people for an up and coming studio "MAKE CG" (www.makecg.com)the domain is brandnew so we are still getting it up. Below is some information about the team and what we are looking for

PLEASE SERIOUS INQUARY'S ONLY!

BACKGROUND
The team consists of 2 people right now, myself Chris Campbell(3d studio max) and my buddy Lance Baker(Maya). Both of us are fairly advanced in our mediums. We both have more than 3 years experiance under our belts. We can do high resolution sculpting and modeling aswell as high quality Texture maping and shader creation. below i have added a short list of skill sets we poses.

Chris Campbell(3DS Max/Vegas)
-3D modeling(advanced)
-Video Compositing/GreenScreen(advanced)
-Shader Creation(medium/advanced)
-Animation(basic)
-Rigging(basic)
-Lighting(medium/advanced)
-Rendering(medium/advanced)
-Partical systems(basic)
----------------------------------------
Lance Baker(Maya)
-3D Modeling(advanced)
-3D Sculpting(advanced)
-UVW Unwrap(Advanced)
-Photoshop/texture Painting(advanced)

Programs the teamw ill be expecting to work with(may varie project to project)
3DS Max, Maya, Photoshop, Zbrush, Sony Vegas Video, Sony Acid Pro, Combustion,

Financial Situation
Non paying - we are looking for 2 others to start this studio with. At this moment it is not a paying position and we do require a fair amount of your time. we are looking for people with the same level of dedication so we can start to get paying jobs.

Requirements(some what flexable)
-must have 1 year or more experiance in your related field (based on previous work)
-must own or be able to purchase a working microphone.
-must have isdn(128k) or better ineternet connection.
-must be friendly and well organized
-be able to accept critisizm and Comments for the benefit of the team
-Have 2 to 3 hours a day 4 or more day's a week available for descussions and mettings.

Positions Available
-3DS MAX Animator
-3DS Max Rigger
-Concept Artist - Character/Environment

Opertunity's
-Work in a team oriented environment
-Learn new skills
-Meet New People
-Network

PLEASE SERIOUS INQUARY'S ONLY!

Contact
If interested please feel free to contact myself here on cg talk or email me or lance at the following emails:

admin@makecg.com
polyzoink@makecg.com

laber
01-13-2008, 01:46 PM
I donīt think itīs a good idea to start a studio with "a couple people" from the internet. Getting the hole thing to role is the hardest part. You need dedication and a tight team. I dont believe that can be done with some ppl you know like 3 months or so. They randomly jump of because they have more important stuff to do or just need to earn some money. With collaborative projects it the same as with your plan for a studio.

It is one thing to make some stuff together over the internet. Itīs a hole other thing to organize and finish payed work! You need a lot of trust and personal contact makes that much more managable.

A good idea would be to add some works that the people get a idea of the quality standard you think of. Not everyone has the same thought of "advanced". As I looked through the portfolio of you two - probably they are older pieces? - I wasnīt that impressed that I would say advanced. :/ The freelance market is really hardcore! The awesome works you see on cgtalk and the other 3dsites are made by people who get paid for it. That is your competition! I donīt want to put you down, but itīs important to be realistic.

I would advice you to build up a reputition. Be active in forums, compete in competitions (Dominance War III is on its way :)) and let the people know that you are there and you dedicated your life to 3d. Build up contacts with professionals! Join a colaborative project and get famous with it. (you got the right forum here :)) You two could even do that under the "banner" of makecg!

But starting a studio with some internet geeks is too early - and skip the internet geeks. :) Iīm sure there are plenty of 3d gurus in your area! Personal contact is key. (one of many)

softdistortion
01-13-2008, 05:41 PM
DOUBLE POST

softdistortion
01-13-2008, 05:42 PM
This post immediately grabbed my attention!
I had this same thing in mind when I started shirowproject years back...unfortunately,
even with a dedicated bunch of team mates it never panned out to become the CG boutique team I had hoped to see come out of it.

I still think it's possible and I want to put in a positive note to your idea.

It does seem that on location is still the best way to run a team, but again, like the internet itself, things will evolve...eventually the right mindset will come to exist and people will develop the ability to commit to an online for hire team and do the work that an on location process would normally be required for.
Someone just has to be the first to cut that new path.

Besides, geographical and other limitations will restrict many from having other talented CG artists to work on location. These guys can languish or get determined and find like minded online CGr's

Re the CGT challenges. Laber makes a point, but personally I see them as a waste of energy as far as using them to make your mark..unless you are already at the top1% you're just a drop in a huge sea of entries.
I think the time is better spent developing team skills and cutting your own path..it's not easy, but it's worth the effort.

Also doing a collab and getting famous...well, I guess it happened to the starwars fanfilm guys, but that road is also a huge undertaking. Definitely would be a good indicator of your stamina and determination though. :D

All the best guys :thumbsup:

laber
01-13-2008, 07:38 PM
Re the CGT challenges. Laber makes a point, but personally I see them as a waste of energy as far as using them to make your mark..unless you are already at the top1% you're just a drop in a huge sea of entries.
I think the time is better spent developing team skills and cutting your own path..it's not easy, but it's worth the effort.

Also doing a collab and getting famous...well, I guess it happened to the starwars fanfilm guys, but that road is also a huge undertaking. Definitely would be a good indicator of your stamina and determination though. :D
I get your point. But I donīt think of the Youtube-CNN-Mainstream-Fame (:D), more of a cg-community "fame". People will recognize you for your great project or challenge entry (even if youīre not in the top 100 or something) and you will make yourself a name in the field. And I think thatīs the important way to get in contact. Essentially people will ask you to freelance in a project for them or you have a better chance to get the contract if they heard of you or a friend of a friend of them hear of you.

It does seem that on location is still the best way to run a team, but again, like the internet itself, things will evolve...eventually the right mindset will come to exist and people will develop the ability to commit to an online for hire team and do the work that an on location process would normally be required for.
Someone just has to be the first to cut that new path.
Yea, technology will get better and will make things easier (communication, organization, ..) but I donīt think that it will top the good old handshake (meeting in person). Working in a team is all about trust and communication. Through the internet much aspect of the communication get lost and trust is very hard to build up - and if itīs about money (thatīs a very essential thing :)) itīs even harder. You have to rely on people youīve never met, you know their voices and got some photos. There are contracts, who is there if something goes wrong? There are different countries with different laws. At the end there is anonymity.

And then there are the "side effects" of personal contact. You can go out drink a beer - better said: Working together is more than "work" - itīs friendship. That can be on many levels, but I donīt think that "internet-friendhship" is to anyone more important than personal friendship.

I can see this "studio over the internet idea" if there is a core team. This team is on location and does all the organization, itīs the head and takes the responsibility. Other "freelancers" places all over the world help out in various ways but can be replaced if something doesnt work out. Or a bunch of freelancers get together and help each other out.

I think itīs a great and dreamy idea, but would only work for a low level, meaning small projects and nothing to pay the rent. :)

All the best guys :thumbsup:
Yea! Theese are just my thoughts on it from my experience. Aside from that, in whatever it will evolve, good luck!

methodz
01-13-2008, 08:19 PM
thx soooooo much
-labor
-softdistortion

thx guys ALOT i really value your input. its really great to get any kind of responce at all. Maybe i'm different than alot of people but i'm deffinatly not the only one in my position.. i have many friends that i value even more so than some people i know person.. i talk to them daily on communication programs such as ventrilo.. and we collaborate all the time.. the guy i'm speaking about that i want to start this with ive known for a bout a year and we talk just about every day for hours at a time, we even work on projects while in vent and proof each others work.. its not a hard process we upload to an ftp for c&c and make crits and comments it takes no longer than running into another room and tellin you rbuddy to come look at your rig changes or the new model you created for the short your working on if you get what i'm sayin... i'm not looin for 9 people you know.. i'm lookin for 2... maybe... 3 ... and in the world of cg there are plenty of people out there willing to try to make it work... i'm want to keep it small exactly for the reasons you mentioned.. your right its very hard to find people online that are dedicated enough.. but id ont think its impossible.. not even close i think it just takes a few lke minds and much dedication... Personally i believe that softdistortion is right.. it just take the right person to pave the way... somebody's gotta do it.. and i dont mind tryin to be the first.. i know our work isnt the best on cgtalk.. but i know
we have what it takes and if we get the right people... and keep tryin.. i'm confident it'll all work out.. and hey.. if not... what does it hurt to try?... i could not try and be in the same position anyway right??

p.s. yes my portfolio is old ive been meaning to update it. thanks agayin guys for the responces really do appriciate it :)

laber
01-14-2008, 12:08 AM
and hey.. if not... what does it hurt to try?... i could not try and be in the same position anyway right??
Iīve got to agree and wish you both the best. :)

Itīs right that if you catch the right ones it could work and itīs nice to hear that a solid friendship isnt impossible over the internet!

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2008, 12:08 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.