PDA

View Full Version : Are you afraid of releasing your mesh?

U.S.S. Speed
01-12-2008, 06:14 PM
Don't be!

Many modeler don't release their mesh, because some newbie could take credit of it...

Not anymore! :)

(Damn... I sound like some seller)

Anyway, I just finished and released my latest tool, a watermark for 3DS Max object.

(Taken down the file until I fix some issues)

The script allows you to place a watermark on an object, making the object impossible to copy, edit, or modify. It also display who did the mesh in the properties of the object, so nobody aside from you can take credit for that mesh anymore!

Hopefully, we could see more amazing meshes released! :)

spacefrog
01-13-2008, 07:23 AM
well - nice idea - had a little testdrive with it:

but:

* removing the watermark seems to be very easy, managed to do so in 5 minutes with few mxs commands

* after this first step, all watermarked objects loaded in the same max-session,
where editable again, so this broke the whole watermarking functionality

* if one know nothing bout scripting to do it the first way, simply use the "Mesher"
compound object to regenerate the mesh and be able to edit it...

so -sorry to say - but, while the idea seems to be nice, it doesn't work very well....

U.S.S. Speed
01-13-2008, 02:01 PM
Well... Thanks. The few testers I had try what they knew. But there is a lot in 3Ds Max that I don't even know.

Mind adding me on msn : ussspeed@hotmail.com so you can tell me which msx commands you used to take it down?

I'm not ready yet to say the script isn't able to work.

PEN
01-13-2008, 03:01 PM
From what I have found there are no really full proof ways that you can do this. I have several of my own that I have used over the years but what makes them work is that no one knows they are there. To catch them I would have to get my hands on the file and check the data in the mesh.

Ruramuq
01-13-2008, 04:31 PM
I suppose it is impossible, unless autodesk would create something for that purpose.

Photoshop for example, the Watermark is preserved even if the image is printed(if I'm not wrong), but with a 3d mesh exported, would not.

so I think, max should allow encryption, and prevent export/import/merge/xref/, etc, etc, but that could be complitated, because it is possible to read vertex pos, and rebuild the mesh. I suppose Bobo's File Format BFF script, does that.

I used to alter the color of images, and watermark my secret sign. and that was ok. So I think that would be another solution for your watermark script, alter some vertex positions, using some kind of logical equation.

Modelworks
01-13-2008, 10:25 PM
For now the best thing I have found is to keep incremental steps of your work.
No one can claim the work is theres if they can't show how they made it.

mentok
01-13-2008, 11:35 PM
Perhaps if there was a site/online-facility that one could register their model at before releasing it, obviously it would be marked by date and artists name, perhaps the entry could include a few images of incremental saves (as mentioned by Modelworks).

I imagine it would have to be a single site affiliated with some signifcant names (eg Autodesk) for it to be successful

spacefrog
01-14-2008, 07:09 AM
U.S.S. Speed:
i sent you an PM about the commands i used....

PEN
01-14-2008, 10:59 AM
You could always just mail it to your self. A bumb idea I guess as a box or a sphere wouldn't fit in an envelope very well... Never mind.

U.S.S. Speed
01-15-2008, 02:31 AM
I guess I won't release it as a watermark... but more as a Owner Tagging thing.

There is obviously no way to block anything from user who has 2 cents of MSX knowledge, even less from advanced user.

PEN
01-16-2008, 12:45 PM
This is true, best you can do is just tag things for your self so just in case you can identify it. I teach as well as work in the business and I often give the students files for reference. So in those cases I tag data into the rigs so that if they use any part of the reference rig I fail them. At that stage of their learning they don't know that it is there or how to get rid if it.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2008, 12:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.