PDA

View Full Version : Does mental ray not render ramp shaders?

hopper2k
04-25-2003, 06:16 PM
I am using a ramp shader that is an orangy color that I'm using for an explosion, and it's rendering fine in the Maya renderer, but it's just white when it renders in mental ray. Does mental ray have problems rendering ramp shaders?

playmesumch00ns
04-25-2003, 11:50 PM
probably yes. There's a script on highend that does the same basic thing as the ramp shader, except in a standard (i.e. pre-4.5 network), called nprs or non-photorealistic shading or something.

Jozvex
04-26-2003, 04:30 AM
Your ramp shader should work fine in MR! I've used them with MR lots and they all worked fine...

I've attached an image of a sphere that has a ramp shader applied to it. It's using the facing ratio to drive the colour. It rendered in MR with final gathering just fine!

greek_fire
04-26-2003, 07:09 AM
i had a similar problem when testing MR using a blin shader. messing with MR global settings solved the problem. my guess was that the extra light calcualtions (FG, GI etc.) were causing the rays to overwhelm all objects in the scene. are you having that problem with just the ramp shader? do you have other objects in your scene?

wgreenlee1
04-26-2003, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Jozvex
Your ramp shader should work fine in MR! I've used them with MR lots and they all worked fine...

I've attached an image of a sphere that has a ramp shader applied to it. It's using the facing ratio to drive the colour. It rendered in MR with final gathering just fine!

WOWSAA Jozvex!
Thats cool!

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.