PDA

View Full Version : WIP: prog rockers Rush!

TaiShan
01-11-2008, 07:13 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm a big fan of the progressive rock group Rush. In order to improve my amateur-level animation skills, I'm working on an animation short with the boys from the band as characters.

Here is a little sample of my work so far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkVl8taOa4Y

Please feel free to let me know what you think of it. Constructive criticism is especially appreciated. Thanks.

TaiShan
01-13-2008, 10:15 PM
An update: this video includes Geddy Lee, the bass player for Rush. I added a little camera work to keep things interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y1lKgkRXqY

What do you think of my work so far? Any feedback is appreciated.

KyleG
01-14-2008, 01:29 PM
Better camera work will help, but you also need more interesting animation, the characters are very stiff and feel robotic, watch some reference of people rocking out on stage, have them move around more and really get into the music. I would go back to rough blocking and try and come up with something more interesting, your animation should tell a small story or be entertaining to the audience, you don't want to rely solely on the music of rush. Keep up the good work!

TaiShan
01-14-2008, 03:24 PM
Thank you very much for taking the time to comment. I regret that I'm revealing my project in fragments; in addition to the performance, there will indeed be a storyline that develops in harmony with the dynamics of the music.

I'm going to do some rough blocking to clean/spice up my existing animation and to help me pace the action that is to come. Thanks again for the valuable advice. :)

My humble apologies to anyone who read this thread, checked out the linked video, and immediately wished they hadn't. I'm ruefully aware of my amateur status... and I want to change it for the better.

KyleG
01-14-2008, 03:51 PM
If your just learning animation, I would recommend starting with something else, like a bouncing ball, then move to a jump, or turnaround, walks and runs, heavy lifts, and eventually to a lip sync/ performance piece.

lime324
01-15-2008, 01:14 PM
Are you model it by yourself?? It's good, very funny and appealing character!
If it's still rough animation, then I can't say much bout your animation.. but, I bet this will be fun to watch..

Keep it up! Cheers! :thumbsup:

TaiShan
01-15-2008, 01:38 PM
Are you model it by yourself?? It's good, very funny and appealing character!
If it's still rough animation, then I can't say much bout your animation.. but, I bet this will be fun to watch..

Keep it up! Cheers! :thumbsup:

Thank you for your comments. Yes, I modelled the characters myself. The animation is still rough; I'll continue to develop it as I gain experience. Thanks again! :D

TaiShan
01-18-2008, 12:04 PM
Minor update: changed the camera action, added some subtle body language to Alex. This video also has subsurface scattering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4daqjBG3qUQ

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2008, 12:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.