PDA

View Full Version : Window Glass Shatter

RoarK
04-25-2003, 05:14 PM
OK subject explains it, in my project i need to shatter the glass of a window pane, now i can do it 2 ways, i can animate a crack appear then a sudden blast shatters the glass into smithereens outwards, or i cud make the pane slam open n strike the wall on the side, n accordingly let dynamics shatter it. for both cases i dunno how to approach the problem, ive tried using "shatter" but cant seem to make it work like i want it, n how do i use dynamics initiate the glass shatter? and i want it to look like this...
http://www.sumamicus.com/zephyr/spawnshatter1.jpg

thanx in advance mates
cheerios

gmask
04-25-2003, 08:19 PM
Well if you really want control over how the shards look you should model them. This will be tedious work. Then to use dynamics you would make the shards active rigid bodis and then collide them with a passive rigid body. This simulation will be slow to work with.. it is best to experiment with somple pieces first to get the idea of how things will work and then start working witht he more complex and large rnumber of shards. Maya 5 has increased the speed that simualtions take to calculate so you may want to upgrade to it if you can.

nemirc
04-26-2003, 07:11 AM
I did something like that.

1- I had a "unshattered version" of the glass.
2- when the character collides with it I switched from the complete version to the shattered version (I created the hole in the glass with the shatter FX)
3- I setup a volume emitter and keyed the rate so it would emit 10k particles in 1 second when the character collides with the window
4- I made the character's skin a collision object so the particles would interact with it
5- for the shards I used some hand-made shards (around 50 different shards) and a geometry instance
6- the particles also collided with the floor and other objects to make it look more realistic.

And that was all. I could sell the effect nicely by doing that.
I used particles because rigid bodies took forever to calculate.

Just my two cents :buttrock:

RoarK
04-26-2003, 10:25 AM
hey thx for the input guys, much appreciated, i think ill try both methods n see what works best for me, btw if i do a dynamics simulation, it needs to be computed only once right? and when im satisfied i can always "bake" the simulation?
and nemirc when u said u made hand made shards + geometry instance? u mean u made duplicates or do u mean u used particle instancing?? sorry i got confused, thx again

nemirc
04-26-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by RoarK

and nemirc when u said u made hand made shards + geometry instance? u mean u made duplicates or do u mean u used particle instancing?? sorry i got confused, thx again

I had several shard models which were used as instances, that's right.
There is a particle expression that allows you to select random objects on a PP basis. A tutorial at highend3D (make the logo effect from the matrix) explains that very well.:cool:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.