PDA

View Full Version : Question about particle placement on Surfaces?

Jimbo65
01-11-2008, 01:16 PM
I am working on a simple animation with a mesh plane - about 50 vertices.
I placed a series of particles on the mesh at vertex locations - and I need to tell Particle Flow to only populate each vertex with one particle - It takes hundreds to even come close to filling the surface - because some vertices have many particles and others only one.

They are also all bunched together where they are many and the render is crud.

Is there an easy way to tell Pflow to only populate the vertex with one particle.
(for someone with limited to no scripting abilities that is...)

Thanks

J.

Jimbo65
01-11-2008, 06:45 PM
Ahhh.. nevermind _ I found orbaz.com and all my troubles seemed to vanish.

Hmmm... Love Plugins.

Thanks

J.

Jimbo65
01-12-2008, 01:39 PM
Actually I am still trying to figure this out...

The issue I have is this -

Orbaz had a Particle Operator - Position Object Plus for Max8 and earlier that has a tweaked modified version of Position Object - that allowed you to select one particle per vertex or Random as the regular operator does.

Though - they have changed that since Max9 and now you must purchase Box3 to get that Very Simple function - seems like a lot to pay for one use - (not that I would not love to have Box3 - but I cannot get the money in this budget for it... Sux)

Does anyone else have a solution to basically do the same thing - as the operator?
without dropping 500 bucks?

J.

Jimbo65
01-12-2008, 03:14 PM
I am all alone on my own thread...

For those that follow this and for those that hit this same issue...

This Birth Script does the same thing...

on ChannelsUsed pCont do
(
pCont.useposition = true
)

on Init pCont do
(
global my_mesh = $sphere01
)

on Proceed pCont do
(
if my_mesh != undefined do
(
t = pCont.getTimeStart() as float
NumVerts = getNumVerts my_mesh

if t < 0 do
(
for i = 1 to NumVerts do
(
pCont.AddParticle()
pCont.particleIndex = pCont.NumParticles()
pCont.particleposition = polyop.getVert my_mesh i
)
)
)

)

on Release pCont do ()

It only works on Poly object - and you have to set your object in place of sphere01

works like a charm though.

J.

Jimbo65
01-15-2008, 03:45 AM
OK - I need some help...

The script does a great job putting particles on the surface at one per vertex. But it does not update that postition on a frame by frame basis - they stay in the first frame location.

What line would I need to add to this script to have them update position per frame?

Jimbo65
01-15-2008, 11:39 AM
Something funny - it updates in the viewports going backwards? not forward... wonder if there is a way to render backwards?

Wicked
01-15-2008, 05:14 PM
Yes that's possible.
At this very moment I don't have the time to search for this method, but it can be done with Video Post. It was something with ..starting at frame 100 and ending at frame 0.. (instead of 0-100).
You should try it yourself, if you don't succeed just yell.. :D

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2008, 05:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.