PDA

View Full Version : maya 5.0 hardware renderer

alexx
04-25-2003, 10:01 AM
just did some quick and dirty test..

hmm.. i dont have highlights rendered in it..
may that be that my gfx card is too old (GF2 quadro pro)?

anyone else already tested?

the qualification chart for 5.0 is not yet available in aslias site..

cheers

alexx

thesaint
04-26-2003, 05:48 PM
did you mean to post an image?

If not, please tell us more about what you are seeing ;)

Gremlin
04-26-2003, 10:02 PM
I played with the hardware renderer a bit, but the main thing I noticed is that the Maya 5 mental ray I think is different from Maya 4.5's Mental Ray 1.5....

I set up a similar scene in both, with the same settings (well, the windows aren't the same, but I tried the best I could) and the results didn't look the same (looked like crap in Maya 5)

I guess it all requires tinkering...
Cheers,
:beer:

mental
04-26-2003, 10:11 PM
doesn't Maya 5 use MentalRay v3.2x? i believe the latest version for Maya 4.5 is v3.1.

webster
04-26-2003, 10:21 PM
I also would be very interested about infos for the vector-renderer, especially about *.swf

1. What about file-size compared to lets say a *.jpeg
We made the experience that complex models could get much bigger than jepgs (workaround rendering tifs that were converted with streamline to swfs). So we rendered out tgas and converted them via Squeeze to a high compressed *.flv (FlashVideo-Format)

2. Are the results of the vector-paths clean ? eg. if I create a cylinder (no caps) and render it from the top-view, how "clean" is the result of that vector-circle ? Do I get 2,3,4 ot 1000 vector-points ?
Thats also important for manually retouching badly rendered parts of *.swfs

3. render time compared to jpeg or other formats

4. Other difficulties rendering vector-formats (time-consuming render setup, etc)

[edit]: 5. Does a high density of geometry have any affects on the rendered vector-image ?
eg You take a standard nurbs-sphere and a very high tesselated nurbs-sphere, are the results the same (numbers of vector-points, file-size, etc.)

If anyone of You did some test-sequences, please share Your experience :beer:

Gremlin
04-27-2003, 04:46 AM
mental,
regardless... the MR 3.1 looked better than Maya 5's 3.2.... maybe I gotta play with settings, but it didnt look as good.
Salud,
:beer:

-=TF=-
04-27-2003, 10:37 AM
Ive read that the new hardware renderer is using nvida's Cg (vertex/pixel shader).

Is it possible to load own Cg code shaders
and render them?
would be cool me thinks! :cool:

lars

alexx
04-27-2003, 09:06 PM
so.. anyone tried rendering with the new HW renderer?

just make a simple sphere and assign a blinn shader.. i just wanna know if you can see the highlight in the render or if it looks like a lambert in rendering.. :)

cheers

alexx

Kabab
04-28-2003, 12:58 AM
Here is a render i did in the vector render

flash image (http://members.optusnet.com.au/bsanayei/3d_vis/lego.swf)

The geometery for this model is pretty shit as its imported from a CAD system.

We got some new computers with the latest greatest Nvidia video cards i'll try the hardware render for you guys.

*edit*
Got it rendering now with a bump map and motion blur its farken quick :eek:

Klark
04-28-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by alexx
so.. anyone tried rendering with the new HW renderer?

just make a simple sphere and assign a blinn shader.. i just wanna know if you can see the highlight in the render or if it looks like a lambert in rendering.. :)

cheers

alexx

Here you go! My friend sent me this on my(your) request. Nurbssphere with green blinn shader, rendered with one point light in hardware mode.

alexx
04-29-2003, 07:54 AM
damn.. i knew that would happen.

klark: which gfx card and driver u use?

cheers

alexx

edit: no luck for me as it seems.. just installed the newest drivers for my gfx card but i still do not get any highlights..
i fear my card is too old for that. great :(
5.0 qualification chart is still not available..

ceql
04-29-2003, 03:15 PM
hmm Neat, post some more pics when yas can!

/me can't wait until our uni buys loads of copies of Maya5 for me to play with :d~~~~

alexx
04-29-2003, 07:53 PM
nah.. i decided to bother alias support about the topic..
i am on full contract since somce weeks again and i think they already hate me there.. thank god torronto is so far away :)

cheers & thanx all

alexx

SheepFactory
04-29-2003, 08:11 PM
Do the quadro 4 xgl 900 have support for all the nifty features of hw rendering?

Mattrne
04-30-2003, 01:47 PM
Considering I've got a wildcat 6110 I'm a bit peeved that my nurbs sphere with one point light and a green blinn comes out of the hardware renderer looking like a lambert :annoyed:

alexx
04-30-2003, 02:04 PM
Mattrne: you have the same problem?

Mattrne
04-30-2003, 03:19 PM
It looks like it, but it could be that I need to upgrade to newer drivers - after all the card I have is blooming expensive and not that old, so it should be able to do this stuff really easy. Have you tried updating your drivers? I'm going to, but I can't at this moment in time cos I'm in the middle of a project and don't want to cock anything up on that!

alexx
04-30-2003, 04:50 PM
i have the very newest drivers installed.. did not help a bit. i think it is more what the gfx card is able to do..

support does not know for now, which cards do and which dont and i fear they even dont exactely know what a card has to be capable of to manage the task.

here some of the lines from support about the topic:

My apologies for the "broken" link to the Qualification Charts. We hope to
have them up as soon as possible.

The Hardware Renderer is very dependent on the video card and I think the
last version the Quadro2 Pro was qualified for was Maya 4.0. I tested on a
machine here without DirectX 9 and was able to achieve successful results
therefore I doubt that this issue has anything to do with DirectX
compatibility.

so that one does not sound too qualified for me since i think that the card has to be directX9 compatible (featurewise) and not that directX has to be installed :)

cheers

alexx

yinako
05-02-2003, 05:14 PM
I don't think GF2 family are supported by nvidia's CG
you need a DX9 generation card, GFFX or RADEON9800s

FreeQ
05-03-2003, 01:07 AM
http://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/Community/Support/qualified_hardware/QUAL/maya_50_HWR.html

IMHO "HWRenderMaya.dll" doesn't use any API.

I've tested HR with Radeon 8500 [bad for maya] with some dirty results but it's render about 12 times fater than SR. :] I will buy FX2000 ASAP.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.