PDA

View Full Version : Weighting a Tentacle - help please

spurv
01-10-2008, 11:03 AM
I have rigged a tentacle, now after a smooth bind it looks like this:

http://www.pato.tv/USERS/Posts/weightTentac.gif

how can i get a smoother look? i want the tentacle to be curved not stepped, iv tried with different settings in the smooth bind options but .... noting.

Please help!

johnchuang
01-10-2008, 01:02 PM
I think you need to put more joints to achieve smoother curvature.

spurv
01-10-2008, 01:17 PM
Yes, but there's no other way?

Scorpio82
01-10-2008, 09:11 PM
It looks like you're setting all the vertices at 1 for each joint.

For a rig like this, if I had to weigh it with that many joints, I would set the weight of the vertices at the joint at 1, then gradually weigh the vertices down as I move away from the joint (0.75, 0.5, 0.25, 0.1, etc. in both directions) then I'd use the next or previous joint to fill in the missing weight. If that makes any sense.

Something I prefer to do when rigging is never set a weight lower than it already is (i.e. if the weight of one vertex is at 0.75, I wouldn't lower it to 0.5.) Instead, I'd grab the next joint and raise the weight from there. Otherwise, Maya might displace that weight somewhere unwanted.

BenBarker
01-11-2008, 06:35 PM
Make a NURBS strip with the same number of spans as the number of joints you have there.

Constrain a bunch of joints to the NURBS strip, the same number as the number of spans in your tentacle. If you aren't sure how to do this, check out what the "rivet" script on highend3D does, that will show you how to do a constraint to a NURBS surface.

Skin the NURBS strip to the joints you have there, and skin the tentacle to the joints on the NURBS strip.

stewartjones
01-12-2008, 08:18 PM
It looks like you're setting all the vertices at 1 for each joint.

For a rig like this, if I had to weigh it with that many joints, I would set the weight of the vertices at the joint at 1, then gradually weigh the vertices down as I move away from the joint (0.75, 0.5, 0.25, 0.1, etc. in both directions) then I'd use the next or previous joint to fill in the missing weight. If that makes any sense.

Something I prefer to do when rigging is never set a weight lower than it already is (i.e. if the weight of one vertex is at 0.75, I wouldn't lower it to 0.5.) Instead, I'd grab the next joint and raise the weight from there. Otherwise, Maya might displace that weight somewhere unwanted.

Yep, just blend those weights a bit!

spurv
01-13-2008, 01:00 PM
Tks guys ill try it then ill post the result.

BoostAbuse
01-16-2008, 01:12 PM
Just another suggestion here but you're going to need much more geometry support in that tentacle there.. right now I am seeing very few spans which is going to result in some nasty kinking and faceting. It needs to be evenly laid out so that you avoid any kinks in the flex, because tentacles are so sinewy and loose you really need to be careful of this to assure the fluidity of movement.

yenvalmar
01-16-2008, 11:59 PM
try a wire deformer. that will avoid this whole issue as its deformed based on a spline curve. what ppl said about your geometry too. i would also use nurbs geometry for it :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2008, 11:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.