PDA

View Full Version : - Skin Weights Buggy?


CIM
04-25-2003, 08:44 AM
I'm painting my skin weights for a character, and no matter what I do, I get some points on the foot stretching when I move the torso. I've tried Prune Small Weights, Painting with Replace at 0, using the Component Editor to set the points to 0, but nothing works.

So, is this a bug or what? This is odd. :rolleyes:

gmask
04-25-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by CIM
I'm painting my skin weights for a character, and no matter what I do, I get some points on the foot stretching when I move the torso. I've tried Prune Small Weights, Painting with Replace at 0, using the Component Editor to set the points to 0, but nothing works.

So, is this a bug or what? This is odd. :rolleyes:

not a bug.. user error..rolleyes:

Some CV's are not getting fully controlled by any of the joints.. that why painting them with a full zero doesn't help unless one joint is fully controlling them.

What you need to do is to lock all the joints that you wish to remain unaltered and then focus on the problem areas. You can use flood to fix these areas and since all the other joint sare locked it will retain the gradation and bring the uncontrolled areas up to full white.

My biggest complaint with paint weights is that they use grayscale to distinguish levels of control and dark or light areas are hard to spot. If it was a color range then I think it would be easier to spot these kind of under controlled problems.

mental
04-25-2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by gmask
My biggest complaint with paint weights is that they use grayscale to distinguish levels of control and dark or light areas are hard to spot. If it was a color range then I think it would be easier to spot these kind of under controlled problems. I've been wishing and hoping that this is in Maya 5 but my better judgement tells me no.

-mental :surprised

Rudity
04-26-2003, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by gmask

My biggest complaint with paint weights is that they use grayscale to distinguish levels of control and dark or light areas are hard to spot. If it was a color range then I think it would be easier to spot these kind of under controlled problems.

I hated that about XSI weight maps.

I like the greyscale better. All them colors annoyed me!

Which is kinda weird because I like bright fun colors.. :shrug:

gmask
04-26-2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Rudity
I hated that about XSI weight maps.

I like the greyscale better. All them colors annoyed me!

Which is kinda weird because I like bright fun colors.. :shrug:

Okay well like many things it would be nice if you could just choose whatever ramp you wanted color or grayscale..whatever ;-)

CIM
04-27-2003, 06:46 AM
Anything that would help Maya's crummy Skin Weights would be great. Blendshapes really need work, too.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.