PDA

View Full Version : WHAT'S THE BEST ONLINE School for 3-D Animation and Cheapest?

SAZZARAN
01-09-2008, 06:24 PM
I live in Canada B.C.
I want to get out of my job- and am looking at taking an ONLINE study to get my diploma- to obtain that killer porfolio!
Does anyone have any idea what school is best for that.

I know of Daart ( Based out of Nova Scotia ) They cost about 7000-8000 first year 3-d animation.
The second year is about the same when you pick an advanced field- ( ie- Character animation )

I am seriously considering going through them. If anyone knows or has heard of someone doing there studies online- please share and any info on Darrt would be helpful too.

TYOU- GENE

SpiralFace
01-09-2008, 06:36 PM
I don't know how anyone else feels about this, but personally, I went to a school that offered both on campus and online classes (The Academy of Art University San Fancisco) and my feelings are that there is NO substitute for hands on training in a class room with actuall teachers.

My personal experiances have left me believing that I would much rather pay for a training DVD from something like the Gnoman series then take online classes. As the limited interaction as well as the fact that the on campus "enviornment" can inspire you to really push your work to the next level. More so then sitting around your own home will ever do.

You mention a kick ass portfolio. Well I'm personally in the camp that that depends more on YOU then the particuler school you go to. Ask anyone in the industry, and they will tell you that just because you go to a good school doesn't mean that you will get a kick ass portfolio. This is a career where you get what you put into it. Which means that the only way that you will get a great portfolio is if you sit down, put in the time, and work twards it. Now this is not to say that you DON'T need school, but rather, you should look to a good school to teach you the FOUNDATIONS of art, Animation, or whatever your attempting to get into. Not to mention, my friends that I've meet at school that also have become professional artists have inspired me more then anything else to push forward. Something you will hardly ever get at home when your trying to do it yourself.

That being said, I've heard consistantly from friends that if your attempting to get into Animation, Animation Mentor is an exelent school to attend. Although going through them will NOT give you any kind of degree. I just hear from Animators saying that they take Animation Mentor IN ADDITIOIN to their actual schooling to give them a leg up into breaking into the industry.

I have't heard much from other schools. I know the Academy of Art offers classes online, but I don't think you can fully get a degree online, and EVENTUALLY you will have to make the trip down to the campus to take the more advanced classes.

Good luck in your endevor.

Signal2Noise
01-09-2008, 06:45 PM
Cheap + Best = ERROR, ERROR!

Follow Shadow-Slayer's advice.

seandunderdale
01-09-2008, 07:06 PM
FXphd is good. Ive just completed my first term.

http://www.fxphd.com/

kelgy
01-09-2008, 07:11 PM
If the choice is online studies vs dvds, i would say go with the dvds. The nature of computer graphics lends itself to the format of watching someone move the mouse around the viewport in a video. There may be spots where you run into a jam but they usually have online forums you can go to for help.

I used Digital Tutors to learn the basics and a bit of Gnomon for the more technical artistic graphics stuff.

Fumetsu
01-09-2008, 08:35 PM
Academy of art university do let you get the full degree online.

At an insane cost of around $90,000.

i wonder why the course is that expensive. I believe you even have to get your own softwares too!

But i know animationmentor.com is awesome for animators.

SanjayChand
01-09-2008, 08:41 PM
http://www.gnomononline.com