PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with teeth?

Davidxt
01-09-2008, 02:48 PM
Hi, for my internship they want me to model a fully animatible head. I have the head complete, but what about the inside of the mouth, which I've always ignored?

I have a pretty good idea about how to model the area inside the mouth, but when you include teeth, is it standard procedure to keep them as a seperate object from the mouth region, or some how extrude from the inside?

This probably seems like an odd question, but any help on this would be great. :)

yoroba
01-09-2008, 02:55 PM
Hehe I was about to write exactly the same question in here. I've been wondering about that for quite some time now. I usually make the teeth seperate objects, but I would love to know, if extruding them from the head-mesh works better.

Also I'd love to know what works best of the two methods, if I'm subsequently going to work them over in Mudbox? If I made all the teeth seperate objects, would I have to make a normal map for each and every one of them, right?

Sorry about contributing to the questions, rather than the answers, by the way ^^;

Scott Ayers
01-09-2008, 04:30 PM
As with anything in 3D. There's reasons to do it either way.

I normally make teeth separate from the main mesh because that allows me to edit them easily any time I want.
I don't know about you. But a lot of times I tend to go back to old models and improve them as my skills improve.

CGTalk Moderation
01-09-2008, 04:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.