PDA

View Full Version : Setup roll animation character

Bucket
04-25-2003, 01:51 AM
Anyone have any suggestions on rigging a character to do a somersault roll and come to standing position?

nemirc
04-25-2003, 03:20 PM
I animated something like that some time ago and since I had no "special technique" I had to switch from IK to FK a lot and keyframe animate all the body movements.

Bucket
04-25-2003, 05:27 PM
Animating frame at a time? :D

That sounds really time consuming and painful.

I guess the hardest part of the animation would be getting the characters back to stick to the ground.

Would spline ik help any in this situation for the spine, or just add more work?

nemirc
04-25-2003, 07:38 PM
I didn't mean keyframe as in "stop-motion" :surprised

What I meant is that I turned off the IKs for the "spin" and then turned them back on for the "stop".

What would be the use of the spine IK? Maybe for the back, I assume?
I setup a spine control to bend/twist the spine as I will.

As for "getting the character's to stick on the ground" I think he can key the legs' IKs and then take the hip up from that point till the character is on standing position. Oh well.. this is not an "animation techniques" forum but I just wanted to add my 2 cents :wip:

Bucket
04-26-2003, 07:03 PM
I was thinking maybe I could rearrange the hierarchy of my joints so that the highest most joint would be the head joint instead of the pelvis joint. This might make the rolling action easier.

This may cause problems when trying to get the character to stand up smoothly. I might have to key frame animate the the back, to keep it from sinking into the ground, or I could setup some form of ik in a few of the joints in the spine.

Your right this isn't an animation forum but, considering that my question wouldn't belong in the animation forums, at the moment it seems best here. I'm just looking for the best way to setup a rig that works good, and is easy to animate this particular type of motion. :wavey:

nemirc
04-26-2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Bucket
I was thinking maybe I could rearrange the hierarchy of my joints so that the highest most joint would be the head joint instead of the pelvis joint. This might make the rolling action easier.

This may cause problems when trying to get the character to stand up smoothly. I might have to key frame animate the the back, to keep it from sinking into the ground, or I could setup some form of ik in a few of the joints in the spine.

Your right this isn't an animation forum but, considering that my question wouldn't belong in the animation forums, at the moment it seems best here. I'm just looking for the best way to setup a rig that works good, and is easy to animate this particular type of motion. :wavey:

Maybe you can parent the rig to a locator or something and animate an "static rolling" and then just move the locator forward.
I think that would be easier to complete the full sequence, otherwise you would solve the rolling part but it would be a headache to animate the standup.
:bounce:

AWAKE
04-27-2003, 12:52 AM
I recently had to do a shot excacly like that. The character comes in does a roll on the ground and gets up.

The rig I setup makes use of the jsScaleJointsByCurve script and the same fk control overrides for it that are on the creature DVD.

The basic deal is, the spine is driven by the spline's shape and length. Since you can pull the spine where you want it, you can essentially lock the control on the ground at the moment of contact for each section of the back.

Bucket
04-27-2003, 02:51 AM
Alright I guess I'll try one of the methods mentioned above. Thanks for the input. :wip:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.