PDA

View Full Version : Character: Broderum (WIP)

MikkoK
04-25-2003, 12:04 AM
This is a work-in-progress pic that I just started painting. The line art is done by my 17-year-old brother Ville. He's currently studying in Japan and this character Broderum was something he drew before he went there.

Btw. It's still far from finished. Decided to take a more polished style this time.

C&C!

http://www.draconus.com/mikko/broderum_wip.jpg

MikkoK
04-25-2003, 11:26 AM
Dang, maybe I must post a new version of it to get replies.. :shrug:

bibi5000
04-25-2003, 05:35 PM
Old problem, pal... :rolleyes:

Your pic looks promising, I love the planet, the character is good, too. I don't understand the purpose of the horizon, maybe you should define it more to give the viewer an idea on what your character is standing.
And for my taste, the sky could use some color.

Your brother will be very pleased when he sees this.

Thumbs up! :thumbsup:

MikkoK
04-25-2003, 09:11 PM
Thanks man!

The sky is probably the most ugly part in this version :D

Good point with the horizon, now that you mentioned it, I see that the character seems to be kind of floating above some planet surface. I'll add something to the background.

If someone could give any opinions about the character or its lighting I'd be very pleased. I'm not sure if I'm heading to the right direction with this pic :)

MikkoK
04-25-2003, 10:41 PM
Added a new background. Now it's not just a planet surfaces and a starfield, but some starship interior too.

Watcha think about this idea? It's just a sketch at this stage.

MikkoK
04-25-2003, 11:16 PM
Which one of these should I color next?

http://www.draconus.com/mikko/three_in_one.jpg

pencils & design: Ville - inks on the first two: Arttu Juntunen

freddy7133d
04-26-2003, 12:09 AM
cool stuff! I like the mutant guy in the middle....

charlie brown
04-26-2003, 02:28 AM
nice stuff mikko, i think your metal surfaces could look more reflective, and u seem to have defined your shapes cautiuosly, defining the edge of forms is the first step to good shape design. Its hard to be brave with color values from scratch let alone colouring line art, when defining the forms u should decide whether to make your values secondary to the line. u should go one way or the other. Your bros work is really nice, ure talent runs in the family! more highlights would give it punch, try and avoid black even in your shadows, avoid the muddy look at all costs.
remember the lit side of a black cube is still darker than the shaded side of a white cube. spooge preaches this all the time, and it helps to remember.
I am not good enough to lecture this much i know, but ure paints are really good u should speedpaint more!
i think colour the first or last one lots of textures to work at. though id rather u paint more stuff from scratch, no offense to yer bros excellent work.

MikkoK
04-27-2003, 02:01 AM
Thanx A LOT charlie!!

That's just the kind of creative criticism I need. You pointed out many things that I should consider when painting. Although I very much know already what you're talking about, it's always good to have someone reminding me.

I know I have a tendency to either use very extreme shadows or in the worst case, meddle too much with the middle tones. I really think I suck at color use, and a lot of my shading is pretty grayscale-like (different brightness values of same color) which is bad. I definitely should use stronger saturation contrasts and generally loosen up and let go.

I haven't yet decided whether I like PS7 or Painter better. I really dislike the Painter's interface but then again, its brushes have a more accurate feel to them.

Well, I'll try and practice that 'ol speed painting more like you suggested. I realise that my brother's line-art is great as is, maybe over painting them won't really make them any better. I still enjoy the idea of collaborating with him, since I'm the cg guy and he's the insane pencil scribbler ;) And really the best his age (17) I know.

Back to bizness, maybe I can post some speedy stuff tomorrow.
Thanx! :thumbsup:

bibi5000
04-28-2003, 09:57 AM
Hi Mikko,

I was just strolling by and I noticed you have updated your image.

Looks good, the idea with the spaceship really helps to put the character into the right spot.
You should keep the area around his head clear, the contrast between the head and the planet was very good.
You have placed a very intense light in front of the character, but this light has no influence on the wall. Place some highlights on the metal parts of your middleground (the Spaceshipwall) to improve the realism of the lighting, just some tiny spots.

Where is his second wing? Did I miss it in the first version?

Hope I don't get on your nerves with all my comments.
You know: The better the image, the more crit you get.

:thumbsup:

yours truly

fab

M.Rogne
04-28-2003, 06:02 PM
The picture looks pretty nice to me, especially for a WIP.
As for what picture to color next, I'd say the one to the right. He looks cool -.-'

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.