PDA

View Full Version : how to update if working on a project?

Pablo
04-24-2003, 11:01 PM
Hi
I will start now doing my work for my diploma and I thought I will do it with A:M.
Now the question to the professional here:
I will create an animation, I will use v10. I don't know how I should work with the versions. Should I start with for excample v10L and stay with it or should I always update and going on with the newer versions. I think that could make problems, if things worked fine and in a newer update it starts getting buggy. So it could be riskily to change versions and getting new problems. If I stay with one version there are some problems but I can handle with them and there wont be new ones?

how did for excample avalanche it for their commercial?

thanks alot

Pablo

hoochoochoochoo
04-25-2003, 01:36 PM
ain't no CGI professional anymore but..
If your version works then don't under any circumstances update just cos it's there! why? You version may work really well with your particular set-up and OS version and your graphics card and and... it would be a shame to lose your diploma because you kept jumping through hoops you don't have to.

If however you are working through a project and there is a real problem or something crucial is missing (I remember when volumetric lighting left the room during one version of 8.5) then update. Download the updates and burn to disk yes- you would really hate to start an update when 4 versions ago there was an update that worked sweet as honey on your system but you have now lost it!

Maybe the simplest saying is - if it ain't broke, don't fix it! ( and there I agree completely with what Mike Fitz said about v8.5 in a previous thread) For me, v8.5 was almost as sweet as honey.

sketchyjay
04-25-2003, 10:38 PM
as mentioned avoid updating if you don't have a problem it fixes. There have been updates in the past that damaged model and chor files so don't take the chance. In others certain kinds of constraints stopped working or acted wonky so...

just say no to updates...

I would stick with that version until your done. update for the next project if needed.

I usually waited a few weeks after a update to come out to see if everyone started complaining about a new bug or problem before I upgraded myself.

Jay

Pablo
04-26-2003, 11:46 AM
thanks for the answers,
you talked of version 8.5+, I just own 8.0, 9.0 and 10.
So I think the best version of those is v10. Do you think v10 is good enough to do it or is it very risky, I think the bug reports getting smaller and smaller, are there now really so less bugs?

do you think if I work with v10, I have to use use 10.0 where many bugs were found or the v10.5 which is in development?

sketchyjay
04-26-2003, 12:04 PM
you can get 8.5++ the most stable of all releases off of

animation pit stop (http://www.animationpitstop.com/files/am2001_8_5p++.zip)

I think others are using 10. The trick is to pick one and not switch or upgrade it. Not being able to render a shaded view may be a problem in 10 though. It is a quick way to see how it looks without all the time needed for a full render.

Prrsonally I'd do it in 8.5 since i've been able to do full animations in it and hate to relearn how to in another version.

If you really want the preview render and sprites then go with 10. just find a stable release.

jay

no0ne
04-26-2003, 01:12 PM
hi pablo (:

test it!

do small tests for those things/features
that are most important to you
with the version you prefer

IF you ponder updatin while workin on your diploma-project
do tests! before switchin completely
& do not overwrite the old files!!!
but some updates bring really cool bug-fixes
so me won't say that you should never update

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.