PDA

View Full Version : 2D: Faerie pic 'After Summer'

linzi
04-24-2003, 10:01 PM
My first pic posted here and my only digital painting. I'm kinda hooked though so am working on others. I titled it 'After Summer' but it's based on my friend's pic 'Faerie Spell' (http://mcspuff.com/~penndragon/images/faeriespell50.jpg). See more of Raimund's work here (http//www.mcspuff.com/~penndragon). I am interested in c&c and I know her left hand needs fixing but I'm finding it hard to convince myself that doing the spiderweb thing with her hand is not a good idea.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/irene.mcgough/images/crop_faerie.jpg
High resolution version of After Summer. (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/irene.mcgough/images/inzi_faerie.jpg)

DangerUs
04-25-2003, 12:12 AM
I think the hands are fine, the bigger problem i see is her right arm ... it looks very misleading with the cuffs blowing like that.
If the viewer focuses on it then it takes away from the whole painting i think. I thought it was a broken arm until i looked closer.

But, it is a amazing first digital painting

Derlaine
04-25-2003, 01:48 AM
deleted text because i can't delete the post

linzi
04-25-2003, 02:32 AM
DangerUs - I think you are right about the arm it probably needs a complete redraw but I'm just not sure how to correct it and keep the pose. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

Derlaine - The pose is a bit stiff but I was working from someone elses lines and didn't want to redraw all of it. I spoke about it to Raimund Shwind, the guy who did the original lines and he says it's part of her personality. She's showing off but not very well. I ended up redrawing most of it anyway but some problems have come about because of my awkward rerendering of the original forms. I never intended it to be this ambitious but I got carried away with the hair and the rest just followed.

:)I've learned not to work with lines that I'm not 100% happy with but it's a little late for this picture. I just passed over it before because I liked a lot of aspects about the original picture.

BnE
04-25-2003, 11:49 PM
wow, she's really nice... cool drawing! :bounce: :bounce:

Gnowoga
04-25-2003, 11:52 PM
truly impressive painting style! :buttrock:

Cman
04-26-2003, 12:34 AM
It sux! :D

Quite amazing actually.
It is very excellent! :thumbsup:

ZVAN
04-26-2003, 12:38 AM
don really like this style but i still feel is good! keep it up!:drool:

requiem
04-26-2003, 12:43 AM
nice soft colors, but you might want to work on your foreshortening. that's why the hands look a bit odd.

Artician
04-26-2003, 12:50 AM
The arm positions should be adjusted, and her right hip is out of place. If her right leg is a full step behind her, her hip would follow that line of movement. It should be slightly lower and at more of an angle from the viewpoint. Since her chest is turned to face the audience there would be a gradual twist in her waist from the position of her hips up to her upper torso.

Also, use more of a blur on the lady bug wings than comic speed-lines to give a cleaner impression of rapid motion.

Great use of of color. I really like that about it. Givers a dreamy, fairytale quality. Keep it up!!!

IkerCLoN
04-26-2003, 01:26 AM
Where is the "i need to learn more anatomy" option??? ^_^

Nice colour job, but I don't agree with the composition you did. I would place the girl in the left border of the image...

PolyMangler
04-26-2003, 01:54 AM
great pic, i really like your work, on the hands and arms i think it might help the pose to get some sillouette value you in it instead of it bending over and covering her forarm and both seem a bit thin.....all and all great, i sure as crap couldn't do it

sherban
04-26-2003, 02:20 AM
yeah, you should study some anatomy first (you or Raimund).
Study some values too - the light/dark areas aren't consistent throughout the pic.
also the composition is quite bland.

on a side note: I'm still trying to figure out how this had a link from the front page :surprised

linzi
04-26-2003, 04:40 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah, the anatomy is off in places but it's something which is always good to work on, yeah? It was driving me nuts and at one point I almost gave up on the pic but I dont think it's a complete disastor especially since I learned a lot about photoshop from it. If the light/dark areas aren't consistent it's probably because I've over complicated things by trying to make it look like the wings and aspects of the background are glowing (some peoples photoshop effects are amazing and I'm very impressionable).

I'm taking note of constructive criticism for future pictures and I'll try fixing the foreshortening but I've probably been overworking it as it is. I'm really happy that some people liked it even with it's faults especially since I've seen the high standard of work that gets submitted here. Thanks to everybody who has commented, I'll return the favor on future pic of yours when I can.:beer:

dg3d
04-26-2003, 07:09 AM
That's very beautiful. Beside the anatomy your picture is great.

Frank Dodd
04-26-2003, 10:15 AM
Well personally I think congradulations are certainly in order for this image although it has a very two dimentional feel to it, it has a very eye catching use of colour and great style, while a great deal of work, even some of the best images I see, suffers in some repects from a sterilised feel, this image has warmth, sparkle and individual flair.

A very nice picture and deserving of the front page.

thOrNes
04-26-2003, 10:16 AM
hi

Although i don't really like faery pictures, because it often comes with those white 'halo' effects and brightness stuff, i think you should really try to give that image more depth. The grass in front is too lighten, the path where the faery stands doesn't darken up to the horizon. If you want it more realistic, i think you should work on these depths, and the luminosity changes that come with it, if you want it more '2D' like a painting, i think it could need some more little eye-catching details.

Cheers,
Yann

Animator395
04-26-2003, 04:08 PM
Very nice and definate style. Everything seems to relate well with one another like they belong in this world you created. Speaking of the world you created, the grass and ground you made I find to be quite amazing!! Good job:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

lmc
04-26-2003, 06:07 PM
Hmm, i just skip comment coz almost say it out by other liao....anyway, i still like ur stlye of drawing....it make like something diferrent from other (My very personal view) ....:beer:

Blackarts
04-26-2003, 06:28 PM
I think for a first try at digital painting this is actually pretty good. There are problem areas - most notably the ones already pointed out on this thread; the pose, the arm foreshortening, etc. In addition to those points, there are a couple areas I feel you need to work on. The composition could be a little more eye-pleasing...the 2 giant leaves and 2 giant insects look very out of place - particularly the way the leaves are falling 'around' her. The moon is a good framing element, but due to some washed out color choices it never really makes the character pop like it should. Also, be careful to avoid flatness in your BG...take the mushroom for example....looking very cut and paste. Use shadow, color saturation and relative size to achieve an illusion of depth. Anyways, I don't mean to sound overly critical - just trying to point out a few things that will hopefully make your next peice even better.

DM

linzi
04-26-2003, 07:26 PM
Blackarts I dont think you are being over critical and I thankyou for your advise. Yes, I know the depth is a little awkward I understood that when I took on the original lines. Maybe a more experienced colourist would have done a better job reorganising the picture? I hadn't intended on getting rid of the lines at all to begin with so it's been under constant edit since day 1. I've been kind of telling myself that the background looks like a stage with props as I've been getting more and more disenchanted with the pic.

Hmmm... it's really strange that you say it's washed out as most people who have seen the pic say the colours are vibrant. Maybe, my display settings need adjusting? I'm working at a gamma of 1.0 with my monitor brightness down and the contrast up. When printing from my desktop the image looks very similar on paper, I dont know if that's a measure to go by at all? I'm finding it very difficult to understand what is web friendly.

Zerflag
04-26-2003, 07:47 PM
Ok... where to begin? Nice overall breakup of the picture plane, my only complaint in respect to composition is it's pretty symmetrical, focal point being in the center of the composition which makes for a fairly static composition, which can sometimes be kind of boring.
I like what you're doing with the leaves creating a vortex, though, of course, again, since those are in the center, it does sort of make it difficult for the eye to actually explore the whole image.
As for the figure.... The hands are way too small, the left hand especially, like as has been mentioned before, because it's closer to the viewer than the head, for instance, it's going to be a good deal larger. A hand in concrete size is more or less the size of a person's face, and in being three times closer to the viewer than the head, it's going to appear a lot larger.
But... that's not so much the main issue, foreshortening can be overlooked, what's really most troublesome is the overall gesture of the figure, I agree that the right hip looks rather out of joint. If the right leg is going to be turned back like that, then the hips will have rotated back as well, rather than being in a static pose as you have them.
Also... try grounding the figure a bit more, she looks a little floaty right now, which might be your intention, I don't know.
Very nice job on the transparencies, and overall magical feeling of the image, though.
Ahem, and in spite of my many critical comments, I truly do like this, well done.

Blackarts
04-26-2003, 08:58 PM
linzi,

sorry, maybe washed out isnt quite the phrase I was looking for. Squint your eyes at the picture....notice how everyhting from the moon outwards sort of all blends togehter in a big white-ish purple blob? Thats what I mean. The head pops out, but the wings, sky, and moon, lack color variation and all sort of get lost in eachother...making the head seem like it is floating a bit. Anyways, all I meant was that by using some more color variation (warm and cool colors), you can direct the viewers eye exactly where you want it, and make things you want to stand out, really stand out from the BG. I would just like to re-iterate that this is a great first attempt, and shows a lot of potential. keep it up!

DM

Boone
04-26-2003, 09:02 PM
Theres no escaping those arms! It makes sense though...

I personally like the picture, the lady-birds are awesome!:thumbsup:

Corn Dog
04-26-2003, 09:54 PM
The 2 leaves look like they are falling but are perfectly at teh same hieght, looks kinda odd to me. Like the leaves are floating or something.

She appears to be dancing with an invisble guy/girl.

Zerflag
04-27-2003, 12:04 AM
I think what Blackarts is getting at is the level of contrast in the work. How the colors would tend to be more intense in the foreground than in the background, level of detail as well, imitation of atmospheric perspective and all that.
But yes, it is an excellent first attempt.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.