PDA

View Full Version : WIP - lipsync

Batching
01-08-2008, 01:46 PM
hi,
I'm working on a lipsync scene atm, but I'm very new to it. I tried it once before but never really used it.

So I wanted to show it here so maybe I could get some feedback on it.
At first I was afraid his body movement was too boring, but now It sometimes seems like he's moving too much.
I removed the hand keys because they were not really working.

check it out here: http://strongbat.nl/wip3.mov

thanks,
Boyo!

KyleG
01-08-2008, 02:05 PM
off to a pretty good start, one thing I noticed is that the arms are very lifeless, I would have him gesture with his arms more, right now you can really tell there just clamped to the table with IK, even if there just small and subtle moved, I would try and get something in there on his arms, keep up the good work

mistasam02
01-08-2008, 07:49 PM
I totally agree with Kyle, but I like that you held off on them to concentrate on the body more. So far I don't think you can really go TOO exaggerated as long as it works with the timing, which this does. Hand gestures and even a fist on the table would strengthen this a lot :D Good work!

Capel
01-09-2008, 12:31 AM
hmmm... well the dialogue is pretty terrible. did you record yourself or a friend or what? no offense, but it's really gonna take away from the piece. even if your animation is stellar, the poorly delivered dialogue will still detract quite a bit.

if i were you i'd scrap this shot and find a 3 to 4 second audio file to animate to. i think you're biting off more than you can chew here.

Batching
01-09-2008, 08:38 PM
hi,

thanks for all the reply's. I continued animating the arms/hands.
But I still find it hard to animate them. It sometimes looks like they are just floating.
Is there maybe someone here who can give some tips about this? What do you recommend, IK or FK?

Capel, It is indeed a friend of mine who is doing the voice. And our native language isn't English. But it's just what I will have to work with. I think it's good enough.

I have a new WIP movie here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=PbEq1scQAdI

please check it out and i'd like to hear the main points of impovement.

thanks,
Boyo!

mistasam02
01-09-2008, 11:49 PM
FK HANDS!!! Now go play :D

Capel
01-10-2008, 01:17 AM
well when his hands are resting on the table they need to be IK. my one crit would be that he's just moving way too much. it's like he never stops.

it's also hard to pick out any real acting choices/poses. seems like maybe you didn't really have a clear idea in your head of how you wanted him to act.

try to simplify it.

Batching
01-10-2008, 12:55 PM
thanks for the reply's again :)

Capel, I saw you were right. So I am just animating 1 sentence at a time now(3/4 sec). I threw away all the keys(except the lipsync) and started over.
First posed a few gestures on keywords in the sentence and then went in between to make the movements more fluid. And it indeed got more relaxed and simpler.
I almost always animate pose to pose when animating actions, but somehow I thought acting was done better just animating straight ahead. guess I was wrong. :)

since I wanted to rest the hands on the table/body I went for IK.(for this sentence)

so here's an update:
http://strongbat.nl/wip1.mov

am I going in the right direction?

thanks,
Boyo!

Batching
01-10-2008, 03:57 PM
update!
last part of the dialogue re-animated:
http://strongbat.nl/wip3.mov

boyo!

Capel
01-16-2008, 01:44 AM
well it's definitely looking better. you've got the right idea. it's still a little floaty all around. i'd tighten up a lot of the body movement. also, when he rests his arms on the table they never stop moving. try to lock down the arm when he puts it down. you can still rotate the hand and fingers to keep things alive.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2008, 01:44 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.