PDA

View Full Version : Non deforming facial geo problem....

Keithtron
01-08-2008, 04:30 AM
Ok, so I've done this a million times. Got a character rig working, grouped the non-deforming facial geometry together, set the pivot to a head joint, and used that joint to constrain the group's orientation and position. Never had a problem with it.

Anyway, in our render we noticed the facial geo shifting a little bit so that it didn't quite match the face. I've been trying to figure out what the problem is, and managed to completely break it. I've tried all sorts of ways, both conventional and nonconventional, to get the geo to move with the head/face skin, but nothing's working. Very frustrating, especially on a tight deadline.

Do any of you know of anything I should look for? Any idea what the problem could be? Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Keithtron
01-08-2008, 05:59 AM
Ok, so I just found out that my skin is getting weirdly influenced so that it doesn't match the eyes/teeth, not the other way around. I think it's my facial wrap deformer. Gonna have to poke around some more and sort it out.

refract
01-08-2008, 12:11 PM
Try the good ole'........ "go to bind pose, delete, delete history on all meshes, reset transforms,./or delete non-deformer history and then reskin" And see if it reapears. If that doesen't work, then export it to another file and try again.

On another note, when dealing with geometry, keep in mind how duplications work, or adding geometry to selections. A mesh in both Maya and Max remember where its original pivot was, thus its "bounding box" could be rrrreeeaaalllly larrge. This is a huge issue in alpha sorting in games. And in renderers. And it is the same I have noticed with calculating cloths and hard dynamics. Reset everything before calculations. That includes binding. I hope that helps.

Keithtron
01-08-2008, 04:41 PM
Yeah, I ended up doing something similar to fix it. I wasn't able to get the guy into his bind pose, but I left him in his animated pose, then exported skin weight maps, deleted history, rebound to the skeleton, and imported the skin weight maps. Worked like a charm.
:-)

CGTalk Moderation
01-08-2008, 04:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.