PDA

View Full Version : Will this help me get a job??

AveryWare
01-07-2008, 12:05 AM
ok so i've been working really slow with my new portfolio, because right now I'am the only one working. i support myself, wife and two kids. I' am a store manager and about to take over as DM for a verizon Dealer.

my question with that said is will this management job back ground help/hurt or not do anything when it comes to getting a job in gaming?

when i take over DM i will be watching anywhere from 3-5 stores and 12-20 employes.

thanks

Johny
01-07-2008, 12:19 AM
thats a silly question only your art will get you a job, altho what you will do will help you to know how to manage a team , wich is usefull , depends , but id say its your art 99% the rest is politics.

Dagarik
01-07-2008, 01:05 AM
That depends on if you are going for a leadership/managment role in a game company. If not, it won't really do much for you except tell employers that you are a good enough employee to get promoted to such a role and that you are no slacker.

AndrewRaZ
01-07-2008, 08:51 PM
Ok, I feel the need to clarify some of what has been said already. Keep in mind I'm not a hiring manager, or anyone in a position to hire.

If you're applying for an art job, no amount of non-industry experience is likely to help you get a job without a great portfolio. That said, any ammount of non-industry experience will never hurt you. A majority of the time, I don't think they even look at the previous experience if it isn't related, other than to verify that you weren't sitting on you butt for three years. The manager of a business has to make critical business decisions, on the fly, and without backup. That kind of experience means that they can count on you to work on your own when the time comes, and it means you are able, or at least should be able, to manage and work within a team.

The thing is, hiring is a lot of guessing and gut instinct. You can look at all the pieces of someone's application still come to the wrong conclusion. If they are able to BS their way through the interview, they might be a great at their job, but be a horrible team player.

So, in short, don't worry about it hurting your chances. Anything can be an asset in the job hunt, you just have to make it work for you.

AveryWare
01-08-2008, 04:25 PM
I think i really didn't explain my question that will. but AndrewRaZ you cleared up what i was getting at thanks.

CGTalk Moderation
01-08-2008, 04:25 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.